Bafang Ultra Alternative Settings For Basic, Pedal Assist & Throttle Handle..

In kind of a hurry, have a road trip scheduled for today. Just wanted to mention 2 things. First, applying much power running on the rear 11t gear is a high wear scenario. I really have no need of wall climbing power here, so I went with a 48t ring gear, and after trying that, realize I could easily gone 50t. This lowered my commonly used gears down I gear. Rarely am I now ever on the 11t, but it's there when/if the need arises.

2nd, the Frey "Smooth" tune. Have you tried it yet? If not I would highly recommend it. Then maybe tweak that as necessary. -Al

In kind of a hurry, have a road trip scheduled for today. Just wanted to mention 2 things. First, applying much power running on the rear 11t gear is a high wear scenario.
Indeed! 😅 I am acutely aware of that; hence the desire for larger front chainring, to make use of the middle gears more! I don't like how often I land in last gear, even at low assist levels & long before "top" speed.

I really have no need of wall climbing power here, so I went with a 48t ring gear, and after trying that, realize I could easily gone 50t. This lowered my commonly used gears down I gear. Rarely am I now ever on the 11t, but it's there when/if the need arises.
Fascinating! This is on an AM1000 v5 frame? What rear tire?

I've heard a 48 tooth front chainring fit just fine, but wasn't certain a 50t would, even though my eyeball said it should.

I also wonder how well the derailleur would accommodate an 11-speed 11-to-48 (or 50 or 51) tooth cassette? By increasing chainring size & cassette span together, I would like to keep the first gear ratio the same; in case of climbing without battery assist, & to widen the crazy small spacing between shifts.
2nd, the Frey "Smooth" tune. Have you tried it yet? If not I would highly recommend it. Then maybe tweak that as necessary. -Al
Yes! 👍 The "Smooth" config was my starting point.

From there, I've been tuning to get more gradual ramping response, so that PAS output is more consistent with my pedal force; & making an effort to set each Speed% range with min & max assist percentiles that feel proportional. ⚖️

Interested to know what other riders, of Ultras on a similar drivetrain, think of the tuning I've selected!

I've reached a point now where I'm down to making very small adjustments that are barely noticeable outside specific speed+gear+mode+load situations, so it would be really helpful to get feedback from other users.

If anyone's curious to try the config I posted, please let me know what you think? I'm especially interested to know whether the speed-related changes I've made, line up with useful gear ratios, for riders who aren't precisely my weight\tirePSI\etc.

I'm fairly confident I've improved pedal force responsiveness; but is it suitably consistent? Too slow? Still too much? If something feels wrong at a specific speed or assist level, please shoot me some feedback?

I suspect few riders will even find this post, much less try the config I've arrived at; but I'm hoping they will, because putting other riders on it could help me notice something I might have totally missed!

Fascinating! This is on an AM1000 v5 frame? What rear tire?

I've heard a 48 tooth front chainring fit just fine, but wasn't certain a 50t would, even though my eyeball said it should.

I suspect few riders will even find this post, much less try the config I've arrived at; but I'm hoping they will, because putting other riders on it could help me notice something I might have totally missed!

My bike is a Rize RX Pro, which started out life as an Ultra powered fatty. It's since had the fat front pogo stick setup replaced with a cheapy (125. or so from Amazon) 100mm wide hydraulic front end (for my nearly 100% paved/packed riding surfaces), then new 27.5 hubs and wheels were built to use with 27.5x2.8 Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires.

I didn't have too much concern regarding chain ring sizes. There's room on my bike for about anything I would ever want to run - but I hadn't considered what a non fatty might look like until you mentioned it. I can see now where that might be a factor!

Mine came with a 44t if I remember right, and increasing that to 48t changed the normal gears I run in by 1. Where if I used to run in say 6th for instance, I now run in 5th. I'm off that 11t rear gear now, pretty much 100%. That was my primary intent, but I'd still like to go with a little bigger ring gear than the 48t. That's not going to happen until I have the need to replace some worn parts.

My thought on the rear cluster is that even my 9 speed is too many gears, even for the hilly area I run in. The Ultra is a huge torque monster. IMHO, there is no point in keeping it in a narrow rpm band or allowing for one if I did. If I were ever going to do a total rebuild, including shifter/derailleur, I would be more likely to go with a 7 speed. I don't need 9, and that would let me run a heavier chain as well. My casual start from a stop is usually done in 4th or 5th gear, while pulling 4-500 watts tops, and I climb most of even the bigger hills using 4th gear. So there's very little strain on anything. Point being, for my purposes, an 11 gear cluster would be way over the top.

My bike is a Rize RX Pro, which started out life as an Ultra powered fatty. It's since had the fat front pogo stick setup replaced with a cheapy (125. or so from Amazon) 100mm wide hydraulic front end (for my nearly 100% paved/packed riding surfaces), then new 27.5 hubs and wheels were built to use with 27.5x2.8 Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires.
Ooh, that layout sounds fun as heck!
And going hydraulic is surely a good move? I suspect I'm a bit large for most air shocks to provide the damping I'd prefer.

I didn't have too much concern regarding chain ring sizes. There's room on my bike for about anything I would ever want to run - but I hadn't considered what a non fatty might look like until you mentioned it. I can see now where that might be a factor!
Oh yeah! 💯

The AM1000 has more chainline clearance than a lot of ebikes; but in that lowest first gear (out of 11), the chain almost rubs a 27.5×2.8" tire.

The chainring-to-chainstay clearance, looks like it'd barely fit a 50 tooth chainring... or maybe only a 48.

48 tooth chainring to a 50 tooth first gear, would retain the same low gear ratio for climbing with the motor off (I ride with the motor off a lot), while allowing me to use last gear less often, & increase my range by contributing more pedal force at 20 MPH.

~ .... ~I'm off that 11t rear gear now, pretty much 100%. That was my primary intent, but I'd still like to go with a little bigger ring gear than the 48t. That's not going to happen until I have the need to replace some worn parts.
Amen to that! The bike works great once dialed in:
If\when something breaks, then I might "upgrade"!
For now, it's lovely.
The next bike will probably be first to benefit from my ideas for changing this one!

My thought on the rear cluster is that even my 9 speed is too many gears, even for the hilly area I run in. The Ultra is a huge torque monster. IMHO, there is no point in keeping it in a narrow rpm band or allowing for one if I did. If I were ever going to do a total rebuild, including shifter/derailleur, I would be more likely to go with a 7 speed. I don't need 9, and that would let me run a heavier chain as well. My casual start from a stop is usually done in 4th or 5th gear, while pulling 4-500 watts tops, and I climb most of even the bigger hills using 4th gear. So there's very little strain on anything. Point being, for my purposes, an 11 gear cluster would be way over the top.
I tend to agree: On the manual bike, I'm used to riding a 3× set of chainrings, with 10× cassette, so I was leery of losing too many gearing options, on a much heavier bike... but even 11 is far more than I usually need!

Sure, on the manual bike, I need every tiny shift in ratio, to get up to 30 MPH without huge jumps in effort; but I'll never pedal the ebike to 30 manually, & with the motor, even 7% power erases any gaps in my personal power-band.

At low speeds, I'm literally shifting two gears at a time; I'm not using half the gears at all! Larger chainring would make each shift cover a larger span of speeds; definitely worth it, if\when the cassette requires replacement too.

I don't want to change the chainring without the cassette though: 40t front on 42t rear, is just about perfect reduction, for crawling or climbing at low\no assist. I want an 11t-to-50t rear cassette, to match a 48t front chainring!

7 speed chain is surely tougher. If I start having chain breakage issues, that's the first change I'd make.
... but no such issues for now; & I suspect I'd like the extra gears, at low assist levels on rougher trails... if the cassette were spaced a bit taller!

Last edited:
I just tried to do the math in my head, on how many teeth would be on each gear of an 11-speed 11-tooth-to-50-tooth cassette, & what final ratio that would make each gear, with a 48 tooth chainring... & now I'm getting out my calculator again:

48:50 is actually much closer to 1:1, than 40:42 is.
(~4% reduction, versus 5%.)
48:51 is over 6% reduction though... & I'm not sure a SRAM NX11 derailleur will handle a cassette as tall as 11t-to-51t, very well?

I'm drifting slightly off topic...
If I change gearing though; I'll certainly end up changing a bunch of my motor-controller config! 😂

Ooh, that layout sounds fun as heck!
And going hydraulic is surely a good move? I suspect I'm a bit large for most air shocks to provide the damping I'd prefer.
I'm 315 and there is no "sag" in play when I climb on. It's actually still pretty stiff even on the softest settings.

As a rookie shock builder on snowmobile, ATV, and motorcycles, I'm VERY aware of what might happen when venturing onto some rough off road. I agree my weight would be a huge factor when setting up a rear shock for instance. That's why I'm running a hard tail. This cheapie front end would be totally overwhelmed....

As far as chain clearance, that's a non event. There 1/2-3/4" in first gear, at least.

Last edited:
quick question I programmed using the Android app and it went very well no problems. The question is MODE it is in 5 steps and I would like 10 step mode How to change ???

Perfect example of members not satisfied with their Bafang. Maybe you all need better components on your bike and not worry about the motor.
@AHicks 315 pounds? What kind tyres you have? What is the load rating on them.
You are a heavy load.
FOS

I had to click on unignore to see what he was sayin. Blah, blah, blah as usual.
Got a couple of members on ignore, it's easy to do as they offer nothing constructive to the conversations anyway.

quick question I programmed using the Android app and it went very well no problems. The question is MODE it is in 5 steps and I would like 10 step mode How to change ???
In your display settings you should see an option to change the PAS from 3 to 5 to 9 steps.

Perfect example of members not satisfied with their Bafang. Maybe you all need better components on your bike and not worry about the motor.
You are a heavy load.
Your limp_dick is showing

You are a heavy load.
"What kind tyres you have?"
The tires on my bike are round ones.
They're made by Schwalbe, size is 27.5x2.8", model is Super Moto-X
If you want to know what the weight capacity is, YOU look it up. Maybe you'll learn something.

"You are a heavy load."
Yes. Likely one of the bigger guys you'll see riding a bike daily. I've weighed 300+ longer than I haven't (40 years), and am as healthy as most. My blood work is nearly perfect. I'll admit to the fact I'm not in the best condition, but not all that bad considering my age (71). I consider myself damned lucky to be as mobile as I am at my age.

You are completely off your rocker if you think I'm any thing less than "satisfied" with Bafang power.

Where in the world did you come up with the idea that the ability to be able to change the Bafang mid drive controller attributes was a negative thing?? MANY of us are extremely satisfied with our Bafang powered bikes for this very reason! Speaking for myself, the fact I can adjust it to conform nearly perfectly with my desires is an extremely attractive feature.

The fact that other bikes/bike motors are NOT as adjustable is often seen as a DOWNSIDE, not a bonus....

There are times to talk, and times to listen. From what I've seen of your posts on more than a few occasions, you strain to know the difference, but I believe you're smarter than that.... What is your issue?

Rome you do know I was referring to you when I was commenting about the ignore button, thanks for the like anyway.

Went for another grocery run today, & with a backpack & pannier bags full of ~45 pounds of groceries, it handles better in the snow+slush+slicks, than with no cargo at all...

Loving my 2022-01-18 tuning so far: Pushing more, gets more, & it switches response levels at 40 & 60% speed, right below where I shift.

Short run, so I was still at 90% after riding on throttle-only through 4" rocks alongside a freight train on the way home... Other than that throttle usage, I stayed in PAS 3 the whole time.

Ran over a few pointy things in the snow, but the tube sealant did it's job. 👍

Last edited:
Back