Backpack inside a rear pannier?

RMSDivine

Hello everyone,
it looks like panniers are really general purpose containers, intentionally left without internal pockets/pc sleeves, so that there's as much room as possible.
Handy for shopping and travelling, not the best solution for going office.

That's why I thought about using a large pannier that might accommodate a backpack inside.

This solution might solve any scenario... when going shopping or travelling, use the empty pannier, when going to work, fit the smaller backpack (with all the stuff inside kept tidy) into the pannier

Largest Ortlieb panniers are not large enough....

Your thoughts?

I am using the Haul it from Arkel, it would be great to set your backpack in. I haven't seen any thing else like it

Thanks for letting me know, but a typical backup height is 42cm and the arkel dimensions are 33 X 33 X 18 cm

Maybe I am missing something?

Hello everyone,
it looks like panniers are really general purpose containers, intentionally left without internal pockets/pc sleeves, so that there's as much room as possible.

That's why I thought about using a large pannier that might accommodate a backpack inside.

This solution might solve any scenario... when going shopping or travelling, use the empty pannier, when going to work, fit the smaller backpack (with all the stuff inside kept tidy) into the pannier

Your thoughts?
There are back backpack panniers. This is just one, but Google 'backpack pannier'.

It was recommended by someone else on this s
Thanks for letting me know, but a typical backup height is 42cm and the arkel dimensions are 33 X 33 X 18 cm

Maybe I am missing something?
Bummer, There is some give, and my backpack would fit in it but perhaps not all. I have also seen the backpack panniers online- maybe that would be a good solution :)

Yeah but the ones I saw are clumky, requiring to attach detach parts.... the quoted one has a unique insert with no sleeves:
1599588952365.png

Hello everyone,

Your thoughts?

I used to place my Timbuk2 tuck backpack into my Rhinowalk pannier. It works really well for the exact scenario you are describing. I'd have all I need for the day including my lunch,coffee, over ear headphones and various other things. Ultimately, I stopped taking my backpack and just place everything into the pannier. All the little things that may get lost in the expanse of the pannier stays inside a cloth sack with drawstrings. If I have to take my laptop or iPad, they're in their own protective case. For the days that I need to go to the grocery store, I now just place another pannier on the rack.

Why did you stop using your backpack?

If I parked my bike further away, I might have kept doing it this way. But all I really have to do is to unhook my pannier and get in the elevator. I figured why am I carrying the weight of two bags and their contents if I'm not going very far?

I have a lot of tiny pockets and meshes in my backpack that help keeping objects tidy. I feel like it would all become a garbage mix in one unique container... I should try and see.

Thanks for your comments.

I've been a fan of Ortlieb for years and use their BACK ROLLER panniers for just about everything. These have 2 internal pockets but also have available accessories that can adapt them to many uses. They're waterproof, rugged, easily attach and detach to a wide range of racks, and have easily accessible shoulder straps for carrying. We use their PACKING CUBES to help organize for trips. Others have reported using their COMMUTER INSERTS for actually commuting or to carry camera gear and the like for day trips. I also like the idea of their pannier CARRYING SYSTEM for lugging a heavier pannier or for a long walk from the bike.

I personally like the idea of removing my panniers when I leave the bike for more than just a short time. The Ortliebs are particularly well suited to this.

I've been a fan of Ortlieb for years and use their BACK ROLLER panniers for just about everything. These have 2 internal pockets but also have available accessories that can adapt them to many uses. They're waterproof, rugged, easily attach and detach to a wide range of racks, and have easily accessible shoulder straps for carrying. We use their PACKING CUBES to help organize for trips. Others have reported using their COMMUTER INSERTS for actually commuting or to carry camera gear and the like for day trips. I also like the idea of their pannier CARRYING SYSTEM for lugging a heavier pannier or for a long walk from the bike.

I personally like the idea of removing my panniers when I leave the bike for more than just a short time. The Ortliebs are particularly well suited to this.
Precisely speaking, it is Ortlieb Ultimate Camera Insert for the camera, while the Commuter Inserts is perfect for supporting the bottom of the spare battery, to carry a laptop, chargers, plus two inserts for water bottles are there ;)

Just a quick update, I've purchased (two months ago) an Ortlieb with insert! Thanks!

Back