Aventon Aventure Charger!! ---This is Madness!!

This is the pin-out for the Aventon Aventure battery charging port. The sense wire measured 2.44v; not sure how it is used.
However, connecting the Grin Satiator charger to the positive and negative then holding the Satiator’s button to Force charging works perfectly fine. For testing I used alligator jumper wires to paper clips that were inserted into the charging port terminals and it charged perfectly. In the future I will probable chop off the connector from the Aventon charger and terminate it with male and female automotive weatherproof quick connectors so I can plug it into either the Satiator or Aventon charger.
05945C3C-7E27-4E0F-8B97-436113FAB1A2.jpeg

Houshmand Moarefi is the owner of Ebikes USA in Cherry Creek, CO and they are an Aventon dealer that offers personal service to customers (you'd be talking to his staff and not him directly I am sure). Maybe try giving them a ring and seeing what if any parts assistance they can give you.

Lol, I used to work with him...was a little shocked to read his name. Was also a little shocked when I heard he was gonna go sell ebikes.

all u need is a short piece like 8-20cm of the. CABLE THAT GOES TO THE Battery ; After that is obtained from the bad charger , the rest is easy.. source a proper cable with whatever end con. you want and connect the other part of it to the short cable(+|+, -/-). They have no smart bms this cheap ebikes , all u need are the -/+ wires.
I mentioned this before in this thread ;

The image above is all you need. This isn't rocket science. The problem is that Aventon hides behind "safety" as an excuse, when they're forcing people to be unsafe with their proprietary junk.

I have a Level v1 and Aventure v1. I live in WI and ride all year. Some salt water got into my Level from going through winter road water, and the contacts corroded in the frame, like it would for any “fake” sealed enclosure. The resistance caused the terminals to heat and melt. The issue is all over the internet, and not uncommon. I could not find the end cap for the battery anywhere, not on Aliexpress, not anywhere. (I do lots of hobby electrical). I contacted them, they would sell me a battery and “new” pins for $400, a steal. It’s a $4 connector. Forget that, I popped the top off and made everything XT60 and waterproofed it. I can’t take the battery out, but there was nothing wrong but their shotty engineering (have a story about the frame charger).

Oh, I forgot this part. I actually bought a showroom v2 battery (more on my local showroom experience later), and I had no clue that they changed the battery config on the v1 halfway through production. I bought the battery, it literally fits the exact enclosure, any normal person would think “I’m good to go.” This was a factory battery from a dealer. Little did I know, you SHOULD NOT use a v2 battery in a v1. You can’t even tell the difference between the two except a green dot. I asked them what the difference was, they would not tell me. They just said don’t, and if you do, you risk controller failure and injury. That right there is a company that care about safety! I’m going to change things up completely, make it “mostly” compatible, but not really tell you why. AND they offered to sell me the new v2 batter cradle. That’s really why I ended up on this forum to start.

Mind you, I had many, many quality issues with them before this. Including getting a small Pace delivered after a 6 week wait, instead of my L Level. I have much more to complain about. You can move this to a different thread, so I can complain about the other stuff. I don’t do forums much, but I can’t allow Aventon ripping people off anymore. The bikes are great, for 6-10 months. If you can afford to dump your $2k and get that amount of use out, I wish I was you. Also shame on me for ever suggesting Aventon as a good bike.

Attached photos are a Satiator, from a REAL company people should support, Grin, charging a stupid Aventure battery with an unnecessary connector. An unsafe one at that. This connector cost them more for fake proprietary, than many safer connectors out there, like an GX16. It’s stupid, careless, and serves no purpose other than to rip off the customer. The first photo is me testing the pinout with the Satiator, a computer power cord (I'm in IT and have 1ks of them), and two paper clips. It charge fine.

Attachments

• sati-2.jpg
    sati-2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 33
  • sati-3.jpg
    sati-3.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 32
The image above is all you need. This isn't rocket science. The problem is that Aventon hides behind "safety" as an excuse, when they're forcing people to be unsafe with their proprietary junk.

I have a Level v1 and Aventure v1. I live in WI and ride all year. Some salt water got into my Level from going through winter road water, and the contacts corroded in the frame, like it would for any “fake” sealed enclosure. The resistance caused the terminals to heat and melt. The issue is all over the internet, and not uncommon. I could not find the end cap for the battery anywhere, not on Aliexpress, not anywhere. (I do lots of hobby electrical). I contacted them, they would sell me a battery and “new” pins for $400, a steal. It’s a $4 connector. Forget that, I popped the top off and made everything XT60 and waterproofed it. I can’t take the battery out, but there was nothing wrong but their shotty engineering (have a story about the frame charger).

Oh, I forgot this part. I actually bought a showroom v2 battery (more on my local showroom experience later), and I had no clue that they changed the battery config on the v1 halfway through production. I bought the battery, it literally fits the exact enclosure, any normal person would think “I’m good to go.” This was a factory battery from a dealer. Little did I know, you SHOULD NOT use a v2 battery in a v1. You can’t even tell the difference between the two except a green dot. I asked them what the difference was, they would not tell me. They just said don’t, and if you do, you risk controller failure and injury. That right there is a company that care about safety! I’m going to change things up completely, make it “mostly” compatible, but not really tell you why. AND they offered to sell me the new v2 batter cradle. That’s really why I ended up on this forum to start.

Mind you, I had many, many quality issues with them before this. Including getting a small Pace delivered after a 6 week wait, instead of my L Level. I have much more to complain about. You can move this to a different thread, so I can complain about the other stuff. I don’t do forums much, but I can’t allow Aventon ripping people off anymore. The bikes are great, for 6-10 months. If you can afford to dump your $2k and get that amount of use out, I wish I was you. Also shame on me for ever suggesting Aventon as a good bike.

Attached photos are a Satiator, from a REAL company people should support, Grin, charging a stupid Aventure battery with an unnecessary connector. An unsafe one at that. This connector cost them more for fake proprietary, than many safer connectors out there, like an GX16. It’s stupid, careless, and serves no purpose other than to rip off the customer. The first photo is me testing the pinout with the Satiator, a computer power cord (I'm in IT and have 1ks of them), and two paper clips. It charge fine.
It's interesting you mention this. Coincidentally, I met a fellow rider at a trailhead last week. He had an Aventon, and I noticed a short wire hanging off his battery. When I asked, he told me about the proprietary Aventon connector. He wanted to use his Grin Satiator so he bought a short ST3 pigtail. He built up the lead ends with solder until they fit snugly into the Aventon battery connector and used black epoxy to hold the rig in place. He cut a slot in the rubber cover so it would close. He admitted it was pretty extreme but it solved the propriety issue.

It's a shame Aventon owners have to resort to things like this to get around shoddy engineering tactics.

This is a great forum, it’s helped me out a lot with my bike. My Aventure power supply fried, which led me to this post. I popped the charger open and was hoping I could replace the obviously fried resistor, but after I replaced it, it was more than that so I didn’t dig much more. I’m not giving Aventon any more of my money, which is why I bought the Satiator. I snipped the end off of the original PSU and made a cable with it using an XLR end that fits the Satiator. The Satiator is expensive, but worth the price for me since I have multiple batteries for bikes and other things.

Inside of the fried Aventure PSU
1726238648630.png

I was tempted to crack the battery open and just put a new charging port on it, but I knew this could somehow be adapted. I went the crack open route on my Level v1 when the terminals melted the orginal battery. It would be nice if you could just charge the Aventure through the terminals like you can on the Level. This is a decent video on the battery guts.

I eventually used the post below, and parts from Aliexpress to fix the Level and get back to normal using a v2 battery. I just started overhauling the Level. I’m adding my “old” battery as a second battery with a balancer as well as replacing the controller with a Grin Baserunner. I may get creative with the charge wiring when I add the balancer. We'll see.

1726238928880.png

Back