Assembling Ride1Up 500 Series

Padrepedro

Region
USA
I ordered the 500 Series Tuesday night, and it will be arriving Thursday!! I purchased a couple of torque wrenches and grease from Amazon, which unfortunately won't arrive until Friday. I've maintained bikes before but never assembled one before. What areas did you guys grease during assembly? The videos don't cover this step.

You should probably use a professional given your inexperience and because the warranty demands it.

Really?

So if you build it by yourself, no warranty?
This warranty shall be effective only if all the following conditions are met:

If the bike was assembled or reviewed prior to use by a bike mechanic.

_--------

Bike shops will definitely charge you to review assembly, and I've even had one tell me it would cost as much as if he had assembled it, albeit for a pedal bike

Torque wrenches? I own three for automotive work, including a little 1/4" model that could be used for bikes, but think it's overkill.

On the other hand, after using a little clicker type for my golf club's shaft, and being a tool freak. something like this clicker model looks like fun.

Well that's not good.

I know a few people who bought ebikes from Rad Power, assembled them their own (they're by no means bike professional, but Rad Power provided basic tool kit because they expect customers to build them) and something was wrong with hub or wheel, and Rad Power customer service was on top of it and covered it under warranty right away.
Lol i'd be more concerned with the frame warranty only being 1 year for both Rad and Ride.

This warranty shall be effective only if all the following conditions are met:

If the bike was assembled or reviewed prior to use by a bike mechanic.
Where did you see that? This article says: "Our warranty is valid without a mechanic sign-off or inspection."

Where did you see that? This article says: "Our warranty is valid without a mechanic sign-off or inspection."

I ordered the 500 Series Tuesday night, and it will be arriving Thursday!! I purchased a couple of torque wrenches and grease from Amazon, which unfortunately won't arrive until Friday. I've maintained bikes before but never assembled one before. What areas did you guys grease during assembly? The videos don't cover this step.
On my Rover I remember they said grease the pedals and seat post before installing. Think that was it.

Assemble yourself. You'll be fine. Assuming everything is in order the only thing that might need a little grease is the seatpost. And only a tiny tiny bit.

Torque wrenches are good to prevent over-tightening. Bike parts often are tightened with a very light touch. The torque wrench also ensures the bolts of a particular assembly are tightened evenly. For example, when one attaches the handlebars to the stem or say attaches a brake rotor to a hub.

And doing things yourself keeps you out of the shop mechanic queue. Having to wait a couple days for the bike shop to adjust this or that.

Assemble yourself. You'll be fine. Assuming everything is in order the only thing that might need a little grease is the seatpost. And only a tiny tiny bit.

Torque wrenches are good to prevent over-tightening. Bike parts often are tightened with a very light touch. The torque wrench also ensures the bolts of a particular assembly are tightened evenly. For example, when one attaches the handlebars to the stem or say attaches a brake rotor to a hub.

And doing things yourself keeps you out of the shop mechanic queue. Having to wait a couple days for the bike shop to adjust this or that.
I totally agree, especially with bike shops so backed up these days. I bike enough that it makes more sense to service it myself. So far I've learned to tune the derailer, replace brake pads, bleed the brakes, replace broken shifter myself.

1 Year frame issues aren't really any issue. It's simply to maintain the simplicity for the warranty terms. Of all 10,000 bikes out in the world, I've only seen frame damage on delivery, as well as two frames in which the seat post was past the minimum insertion line and snapped the seat tube above the top tube. If used properly, frame issues are virtually non-existent.

Assembly certs are not required. If you don't know bikes, ask a friend or mechanic to check your work after self-assembly, as it's better to be safe, than risk injury or future damage to your bike as well as a negative riding experience.

if you have VeloFix mobile service in your area, they are relatively cheap.

You may also have local mobile guys who do repair and assembly in your area (check Yelp).

1 Year frame issues aren't really any issue. It's simply to maintain the simplicity for the warranty terms. Of all 10,000 bikes out in the world, I've only seen frame damage on delivery, as well as two frames in which the seat post was past the minimum insertion line and snapped the seat tube above the top tube. If used properly, frame issues are virtually non-existent.
Frame failures are certainly not virtually non-existent. They've been an issue on Specialized frames, which use the same Brose motors that Ride1Up plans to, and the failures aren't apparent within the first year, from what I saw. And Specialized has a lot more oversight and control than Ride1Up does.

Who builds Ride1Up though?

Rad Power, Ride1Up, Voltbike, Juiced, Aventon, Espin, among others seem to have very beefy/study frame.
I wouldn't be surprised if all come from same manufacture.
Beefy doesn't matter when you have a weak point. If Specialized can fail, anyone can, especially second or third tier factories.

Juiced makes its own bikes.

Back