Anyone have experience with SRAM Eagle Transmission on any Specialized e-bike?

Did you try dumping gears quickly? I am curious about the reported shifting delays and “queuing”.
As far as shifting out of the saddle goes, it’s not a practice that I would generally recommend on any bike. I would say dumping multiple gears is noticeably quicker on my road bikes but not that I would define it as significant enough to make a drastic difference on my mtb. That’s just my personal thought so take it with a grain of salt. As odd as it may sound, I feel that the tranny shifts smoother and faster when I’m mashing through shifts than when pedaling lackadaisically. My rides are not what I would define as being typically sedate and that I’m rather aggressive on the trail so SRAM’s emphasis on durability of the new T-Type system was a key consideration when I swapped out the stock tranny.

I admit that I felt like a bit of a guinea pig when I bit the bullet not knowing what to expect other than what I’ve read online. That being said, I have some doubt whether I would have sprung for this piece of kit if it wasn’t for the killer price everything being relative of course. I’m definitely a big fan of electronic shifting and I would not likely go back to a cable actuated drivetrain on a road bike. Since I’m somewhat of an early adopter of this new tranny I still have plenty of riding to do before making any further assessments but so far it’s been positive.

As odd as it may sound, I feel that the tranny shifts smoother and faster when I’m mashing through shifts than when pedaling lackadaisically.
This is another consistent report from the reviews I have read/watched. works better with higher load.

Thanks for the feedback! Now just need to pick the motor I like and narrow down to the actual bike.

They recounted that the majority of their ebike customers simply cannot understand proper shifting, the concept of shifting under load, and typically start-off in the wrong gear using heavy motor assist. They suggested that they see VERY fast chain/cassette wear on most ebikes
Seems like an overly complicated explanation. More likely anyone who doesn't understand anything about shifting also never lubes their chain. They probably don't have a chain gauge, and so when the first chain wears out they ride it until it destroys the cassette, too. Then they bring it to LBS.

(And/or their chain is made of cheese like my Adventure.2's chain was)

Seems like an overly complicated explanation. More likely anyone who doesn't understand anything about shifting also never lubes their chain. They probably don't have a chain gauge, and so when the first chain wears out they ride it until it destroys the cassette, too. Then they bring it to LBS.

(And/or their chain is made of cheese like my Adventure.2's chain was)
I didn't know lol. I'm in my 50's and feel like a younger customer much of the time. Age may not equal experience among many e-bike consumers.

If the salsa cuttthroat had a motor (or a very similar model with a motor) it would be high on my list. I *think* a short reach relatively upright on the hoods drop bar gravel bike could work really well for me.

1721707625943.png

Salsa Tributary

I am aware! I am still unsure on the bosch system. But, the smart system may have alleviated my primary concerns. I just haven’t been able to get on one and try it. It’s also a lot of money for aluminum ( but that also isn’t necessarily an issue for me ). I may even be able to try them locally, which is awesome.
Only a Levo SL.
How did you like it? The new SL 2 has the new 1.2 motor and transmission. Covers all the bases. But I am unsure about it for regular riding.

I am aware! I am still unsure on the bosch system. But, the smart system may have alleviated my primary concerns. I just haven’t been able to get on one and try it. It’s also a lot of money for aluminum ( but that also isn’t necessarily an issue for me ). I may even be able to try them locally, which is awesome.

How did you like it? The new SL 2 has the new 1.2 motor and transmission. Covers all the bases. But I am unsure about it for regular riding.
Sounds like you might need to re-evaluate your goals and consider where most of your riding will take place. As an all rounder, an e-gravel bike seems to tick all of the boxes with the exception of the gnarliest singletrack. A SL emtb will get you through rock gardens with aplomb but would be adequate at best rolling on tarmac.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of trailhead transitions with the Levo as it involves me riding along sections of MUPs which, in my case, is inevitable. Unless you have the luxury of living in a mountain resort with access points to trails outside of your front door, it wouldn’t be my preferred method.

Sounds like you might need to re-evaluate your goals and consider where most of your riding will take place.
People keep saying that, but people don’t understand biking in vermont. In the course of a 3 mile ride, I can easily move from pavement, to gravel road, to light trail, to class 4 roads…. etc, all involvinig 500-2,000 feet of ascending. Often more. Any bike that can’t handle all of that here is severely limited in where you can actually go. It would be lovely to have a bike dedicated to the *primary* goal of each ride, but that’s not realistic from a budgeting or practicality perspective.

What do I know? A vado and an flx/superhuman blade 2.0 was ”enough” on the rougher stuff. My sirrus x 4.0 very much isn’t. It’s *barely* ok for what vermont considers “paved” roads.

This is why tero x has always been high on the consideration list. I know from experience that having a better riding experience gets me on the bike more.

My hesitance on the tero x has been my experience with other specialized electric bikes. I am not interested in the “bike shop sucks” or “specialized sucks” debate. The result is the same for me. And there is nothing I can do about it.

So I am exploring more “fun” alternatives to Tero X that still ticks all the boxes. The tributary definitely does that.

Well, Salsa as a brand certainly knows a few things about riding in Vermont… that new one might be a strong contender. Maybe a Canyon Grail: On, or whatever it’s called, but then you run into the whole who services it when it throws a fit? My Giant Toughroad put in a lot of very happy miles next door in VT, but it is now at my son’s house and shows no signs of leaving 😎. If they hadn’t stopped making the Revolt that would be a good one too, I suspect, and it seems like that one might be coming back at some point, hopefully.

My hesitance on the tero x has been my experience with other specialized electric bikes. I am not interested in the “bike shop sucks” or “specialized sucks” debate. The result is the same for me. And there is nothing I can do about it.

So I am exploring more “fun” alternatives to Tero X that still ticks all the boxes. The tributary definitely does that.
Finding a UDH compatible bike might well be a deciding factor in what you eventually will ride. I’m just not sure it should be that imperative to your needs as going without actually opens the door to more options. It does sounds like you’ve made your decision to add more flavor to your rides. The salsa it is then.

Sounds like you might need to re-evaluate your goals and consider where most of your riding will take place. As an all rounder, an e-gravel bike seems to tick all of the boxes with the exception of the gnarliest singletrack. A SL emtb will get you through rock gardens with aplomb but would be adequate at best rolling on tarmac.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of trailhead transitions with the Levo as it involves me riding along sections of MUPs which, in my case, is inevitable. Unless you have the luxury of living in a mountain resort with access points to trails outside of your front door, it wouldn’t be my preferred method.
thanks for the Video great and very informative comparing the two bikes

the Revolt
I had just discovered it and then wondered why I couldn’t find it anywhere.

I’m just not sure it should be that imperative to your needs as going without actually opens the door to more options.
I agree. But the experience I love is automatic enviolo igh. Part of that is automatic, part of it is simply pedaling to my hearts content. SRAM powertrain could do both with transmission. But getting one is hard currently. Servicing them may be harder. On my sirrus, I don’t mind shifting, it’s the inability to shift cleanly at times that disrupts the ride.

UDH with transmission is the closest reliable thing I can find to enviolo automatic. In terms of motors, specialized 2.2,1.2, bosch smart cx* and TQ hpr50 are likely all fine. So I am trying to find the intersection of all those things in the “most fun bike possible” that can handle the above vermont issues. Tributary may be it.

At less than 1000 miles on chain and cassette? This seems like an overly simple explanation. (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.)

I had just discovered it and then wondered why I couldn’t find it anywhere.

I agree. But the experience I love is automatic enviolo igh. Part of that is automatic, part of it is simply pedaling to my hearts content. SRAM powertrain could do both with transmission. But getting one is hard currently. Servicing them may be harder. On my sirrus, I don’t mind shifting, it’s the inability to shift cleanly at times that disrupts the ride.

UDH with transmission is the closest reliable thing I can find to enviolo automatic. In terms of motors, specialized 2.2,1.2, bosch smart cx* and TQ hpr50 are likely all fine. So I am trying to find the intersection of all those things in the “most fun bike possible” that can handle the above vermont issues. Tributary may be it.
The best way I could refer to this is like driving a stick shift or an automatic car, its all comes down to perferance and confort that you like,

The best way I could refer to this is like driving a stick shift or an automatic car, its all comes down to perferance and confort that you like,
It’s a bit more nuanced. A stick shift that doesn’t get in your way and improves the fun and experience is a definite upgrade. But a stick shift that is finicky wouldn’t be a better option. Same with automatic. In cars, while it’s rarer these days to run into an automatic that has no clue how to accelerate and use gearing properly, it can still happen. I would take a mediocre stickshift over a crappy automatic any day. A good automatic over anything but the most blissfully fun stick Shift. And that blissfully fun stick shift would absolutely not be my only car. (Yes, speaking from experience).

Right now, my bike is a moderate stick shift on a fun chasis that can’t handle anything but smooth road. Basically, it’s a mini cooper. What I need is a small volvo suv. I don’t need a jeep. I don’t need a ferrari. A subura wrx would be great. Porsche is overkill. German cars are massively overrated.

Honestly, the volvo/subaru wrx thing is pretty on point. Very different cars that would both “hit the spot” for me. Subaru representing the fuel exe/tributary side of things and volvo representing sram powertrain followed closely by the tero x 6.0 with transmission upgrade.

I finally got to watch this all the way through, and to me, the levo sl looked like the bike for vermont. I only get to that level of technical ascent/descent on actual trails (which is not a primary use for me, that’s a once in a while event). but my back roads and trails are far worse than that lovely smooth dirt they showed. Even my “paved” roads would have challenged that creo at times. That said, suspension like on the tributary might bridge that gap. (My future shock certainly doesn’t). I would love a lighter carbon bike with an sl 1.2 like motor.

Did you just talk me into the new levo sl? And maybe the kids one for my 10 year old so we can go together?

Hey I have been driving 3 pedals cars for as long as I have had a license and thats a long time, even Motorcycles each one has its own feel no two our the same or ride the same,or shift a like, you migh like the new electronic or BT shifters they are cabel less and prety precious my buddy has it on his road bike it's so awesome and smoth, Good luck with your purchase make sure you do a demo ride so you get to know the bike a little before you buy.

Fun info about motors: https://ebike-mtb.com/en/emtb-motor-comparison/

I have been using the chart about cadence and power production from the above url. I attached a screenshot for convenience.

I have ruled out the bosch SX line because I simply can’t keep pace with the rpm where it works well. I am concerned about fazua because of continued reliability reports. But I don’t have super current information. That motor is on a lot of interesting models including a few that would probably be an easy buy if I can get past the motor issues.

Bosch cx smart system, Specialized 1.2 and 2.2 (and brose), Shimano and TQ all have a reputation for a smooth and natural experience. All of them have ways to get data out of the system (Bosch finally integrates that data at least up to strava I think, but still trying to see that for myself). The tq support might be right on the edge for me. I tend to grind up hills not spin. But I also have no choice because my gears don’t go low enough to spin at a higher RPM. So, I will be grinding in my lowest gear.

The TQ is still very appealing. I really need to ride one to see if it has the power I need. I might go try an sl 1.2, as that will be fairly close.

This stuff fascinates me. I wish I could actually try these motors side by side and feel the differences.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpeg
    IMG_0027.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 27
Back