Anyone have experience with SRAM Eagle Transmission on any Specialized e-bike?

I'm pretty sure that I listened to a podcast where a guy from SRAM explained the system in such a way that it somehow *does* know the position of the cassette and then moves the derailleur at just the right time to catch the ramps. I'll do some digging on this when I get a chance...
would love to hear that explanation, the tear down i watched didn’t suggest any such thing. how would they do it? an optical sensor and something about the one red cog? a magnetic sensor and an insert of some sort into the cassette? never seen any reference to this!

would love to hear that explanation, the tear down i watched didn’t suggest any such thing. how would they do it? an optical sensor and something about the one red cog? a magnetic sensor and an insert of some sort into the cassette? never seen any reference to this!
I didn’t watch a tear down. But, if such a sensor exists, it would need to be internal and sealed off to survive the environmental aspects.

It doesn’t rule out other clever things. If it even has rotational speed of a cog, it should have a calculate-able window for the ramp locations. It wouldn’t take very much data to help. It also may be able to use successful shift timing to optimize future shifts. It definitely has some kind of accelerometer given these units can still retract on impact? Or was that only the axs version? A tension sensor could inform on timing of shift success. Etc. The electronics *could* be adding capability. Is it? No clue.

I didn’t watch a tear down. But, if such a sensor exists, it would need to be internal and sealed off to survive the environmental aspects.

It doesn’t rule out other clever things. If it even has rotational speed of a cog, it should have a calculate-able window for the ramp locations. It wouldn’t take very much data to help. It also may be able to use successful shift timing to optimize future shifts. It definitely has some kind of accelerometer given these units can still retract on impact? Or was that only the axs version? A tension sensor could inform on timing of shift success. Etc. The electronics *could* be adding capability. Is it? No clue.

listen to this one around 14 min (and the rest, too) but it explains the key factor - the cogs are all even increments of two, allowing them to bring the "narrow-wide" technology that's been on chainrings for a while into the cassette, which essentially keeps the chain from shifting (the same way narrow wide up front keeps it from dropping!) until the cassette gets around to the desired spot for the transition.

and a good, clear english description, clearly stating the the RD mech isn't any different, but the cassette is designed to prevent the chain from moving over when they don't want it to. no electrical sorcery.

In principle, the basic function of the new Eagle Transmission derailleur isn’t much unlike that of previous AXS models. The all-new derailleur nudges the chain inwards or outwards, depending on whether you want to shift up or down. The cassette does the actual work. Cassettes have long had so-called shifting ramps, which look like recesses on the sides of the cogs, and they’re there to help the chain climb onto a bigger cog when shifting up.

SRAM also rely on shifting ramps for their new Eagle Transmission cassettes. However, this is less of an aid and much more of a determinant for when the chain shifts. The chain won’t shift gears without the help of a shifting ramp. Depending on the gear, the new Transmission cassette has a different number of shifting ramps, which are responsible for shifting either up or down. SRAM also rely on many other practical features to optimise the shifting process. The sprockets of the new Eagle Transmission cassettes utilise the narrow-wide design, with alternating narrow and wide teeth. Until now, it was only the three inner cogs of SRAM cassettes that had narrow-wide teeth. In addition, the new Flattop chain can only mesh with the cassette in a certain position, ensuring that it is always perfectly engaged and distributing the pedalling forces equally. If it does end up in the wrong position, it won’t mesh with the cog and will simply slip back into the correct position as soon as you apply a light load. Due to the omission of the B screw, the distance between the upper guide pulley and the cassette is always correct, too.

If you shift just one gear, the alignment between the derailleur and the cassette requires the derailleur to move only to such an extent that the chain uses a single shift lane to jump up or down the cassette, preventing it from being forced into the wrong gear. The best part comes with shifting several gears at once, because the new Transmission derailleur has a programmed delay between shifting operations. For example, if you shift two or three gears in quick succession, the derailleur won’t move at the same speed but rather time the shifting. This allows the chain to wait for a shifting ramp on the cassette instead of being forced up or down the cassette.

what's very cool about all this is that it's really a complete system, and they redesigned each part in small ways to make the whole way more than the sum of the parts : the UDH provides the necessary stiffness and alignment. the flat-top chain only interfaces with the cogs in the correct even-odd pattern. the cassette tooling is much more aggressive, resulting in a chain-cassette interface where the chain CAN'T move over unless it's at a certain spot, and the RD mech has a strong motor and the delay feature to make multiple shifts stay aligned.

i read/watched about 5 long term reviews, install, teardowns, and not a single one mentions any sort of sensors or requirement for the RD to know at what point in the rotation the cassette is. it's all described generally the same way, but with vague language that could allow one to infer that the RD actually "knows" where the cassette is in rotation. but it doesn't. because it doesn't need to. that's what makes it a good design.

but with vague language that could allow one to infer that the RD actually "knows" where the cassette is in rotation. but it doesn't. because it doesn't need to. that's what makes it a good design.
And now I love it even more. :)

this discussion and watching the videos got me thinking... how do i really shift, and how big of a difference is this!??!

i went out for a sprint up and down the street with a selfie stick and realized that 1) i don't let up or stop pedaling at all when shifting, except in the most extreme circumstances (out of the saddle, standing on the pedals with all my force) and 2) shimano's latest shifts insanely fast, under load or not. sram transmission definitely doesn't shift faster than this - but my guess is that it IS much more robust if one were to truly abuse it off road. unfortunately the tech is not suited to road groupsets, so we may continue to see the same divergence of sram having an edge off road and shimano on road.

i'm pedaling from around 200 to 500 watts here - more power than an SL motor for sure ;) - and of course what you can't tell is how long the delay is from pushing the button to the shift initiation. my perception is that that delay is essentially zero. for all practical purposes it's instantaneous. these things have come a long way.

Just created an account to chime in here.
I have a Turbo Tero X 6.0 and ordered a Sram X0 t-type setup for ebikes (part # 00.7918.281.002) a couple days ago. The only difference with the ebike specific version is that it comes with a 104bcd chainring and no crank arm). Regarding XD vs HG freehub, I spoke with Specialized customer support and it is a typo and that we do indeed have a XD hub.

Last edited:
Just created an account to chime in here.
I have a Turbo Tero X 6.0 and ordered a Sram X0 t-type setup for Ebikes (part # 00.7918.281.002) a couple days ago. The only difference between the ebike specific version is that it comes with a 104bcd chainring and no crankarm). Regarding XD vs HG freehub, I spoke with Specialized customer support and it is typo and that we do indeed have a XD hub.
Report back how it works! I am thinking of ordering a tero x 6.0 and the gx eagle transmission.

Another interesting experiment would be to see if the hard wired power option for AXS can be made to work with a Specialized bike. The Trek FS 9 EQ has that setup, which seemed appealing to me compared to having one more rechargeable thing to charge.

Just an update. I had the X0 Transmission installed onto my Turbo Tero X 6.0 and it rides beautifully. Shifting gears while pedaling up a steep hill is pretty nice. The shifts are clean and I haven't really noticed any significant delays like in some of the online reviews. The MPN is 00.7918.281.002 (everything needed besides crank arms).

Just an update. I had the X0 Transmission installed onto my Turbo Tero X 6.0 and it rides beautifully. Shifting gears while pedaling up a steep hill is pretty nice. The shifts are clean and I haven't really noticed any significant delays like in some of the online reviews. The MPN is 00.7918.281.002 (everything needed besides crank arms).
Did you pair it to the bike? I know the bike can display which gear you're in, but I've been curious to know if it does anything else.

If you watch this video about pairing a RADAR, when you get to this screen:
you'll also see "SHIFTING" (not in the video, but on your bike)
I know you can pair the radar to it, but I didn't see any mention of pairing the AXS shifter to it. I'll look to see if you can pair those together.

I was prepared to pull the trigger on the tero X 6.0 + gx eagle transmission (or possibly X0), but the flooding here destroyed just about every first floor business in downtown. Including the bike shop. It's going to be months before they are functional again. I believe this is officially a "next year" thing.

Back