Anyone have experience with SRAM Eagle Transmission on any Specialized e-bike?

mechanically UDH does seem like a big improvement
This alone, based on my experience with derailleurs, is well worth it for riders that lean casual. The shift delay being the blocker to more performance driven riders.

I can’t wait to try it. However, I discovered the salsa cutthroat with transmission which may be a drop bar bike I can live with. I just wish I could find a tq hpr50 motor equivalent to that.

Excuse me?

I demo rode an Epic 8 Expert with SRAM GX Eagle AXS Transmission, and the shifts were instanteous and silent.

Epic 8 Expert is a racing bike.

I haven’t ridden one, but every report that cares about this says you can’t quickly dump multiple gears like you can on previous options. For a single shift: fast. For multiple: slow.

I actually had one of the bike shops warn me about that on transmission based on my pinion dumbshift experience.

Were not SRAM mechanical shifters Single Click before, too?

My experience on my demo ride was the Transmission was shifting as quickly and accurately as you would not make it any faster with a Shimano mechanical shifter.

Last edited:
Wete not SRAM mechanical shifters Single Click before, too?

My experience on my demo ride was the Transmission was shifting as quickly and accurately as you would not make it any faster with a Shimano mechanical shifter.
Maybe, just regurgitating the one consistent complaint I have heard about transmission. Until recently I had zero interest in chain. So I wasn’t even paying attention to them in terms of trying them out.

I am close to pulling the trigger on an sram powertrain bike.

…:

that’s not the benchmark though. manual shifters, even good ones, are slow and sloppy. the cable stretches a bit, it physically takes your finger a bit of time to move through the range, each part has some hysteresis.

modern electronic shifting is much much faster, and i would hope/imagine SRAMs latest, with transmission, is as good as their best competitors!

Please name a competitive electronic drivetrain for MTBs.
lol, what are you talking about? almost all high end MTB have electronic shifting.

SRAM XX Eagle, SRAM X0 eagle, SRAM GX Eagle. all are AXS. Shimano XTR di2, Deore XT di2.

of the trims of new specialized MTB, e.g. the stumpy, all but the comp (comp, expert, pro, s-works) have electronic shifting. and the expert is only $500 more.

Shimano XTR di2, Deore XT di2.
I swear I was not aware of the very existence of those groupsets! Thank you!

All I can say is I actually rode a Transmission bike while Derrek or you did not :) I was delighted with the performance, and trust me, I shift a lot!

Last edited:
I swear I was not aware of the very existence of these groupsets! Thank you!

All I can say is I actually rode a Transmission bike while Derrek or you did not :) I was delighted with the performance, and trust me, I shift a lot!
right, i have no doubt it’s good! but the latest di2 is amazing also, i was thinking about and observing it as i rode this morning. i shift very, very often and never even think about it normally, whether i’m pedaling hard or not, it’s instant and smooth, just a little instant “click” and it shifts. so really the question is “how much better is transmission?”

right, i have no doubt it’s good! but the latest di2 is amazing also, i was thinking about and observing it as i rode this morning. i shift very, very often and never even think about it normally, whether i’m pedaling hard or not, it’s instant and smooth, just a little instant “click” and it shifts. so really the question is “how much better is transmission?”
I have of course no comparison. I only could observe there was no issue with shifting under load...
I'll look to the Shimano offer. Only am afraid the drivetrain would not be less expensive than the SRAM one!

I have of course no comparison. I only could observe there was no issue with shifting under load...
I'll look to the Shimano offer. Only am afraid the drivetrain would not be less expensive than the SRAM one!
shimano is behind on mtb groupsets for sure. an update is overdue to bring it in line with what they have for road, where 105, ultegra, and dura-ace all offer 12 speed wired-less instantaneous shifting, under load or not, at a good range of price points.

Two of my road bikes are equipped with Ultegra/Di2 and I agree with @mschwett that shifting action is both ultra smooth and precise. Perhaps comparing the two drivetrains isn’t quite that simple. I find when riding technical singles my primary focus is on scanning the changing terrain in front of me. However, on many occasions when I’m not familiar with a particular trail I may not have time to react quickly enough to prepare for quick gear changes. My first two trail rides with the direct mounted Eagle GX Tranny outside of my local riding area were a good test to establish how shifting would perform under more severe conditions in particular when riding out of the saddle. I discovered that it actually shifts more crisp and noticeably quieter under full load.

SRAM refers to this pedaling under full load as cassette mapping which they define as:

“A marriage of firmware and hardware that makes it possible to control the shift. When the rider shifts, the derailleur’s firmware references a uniquely timed shift sequence to align with the releasing/receiving cogs to engage the chain rollers on the desired cassette teeth. This creates uninterrupted chain engagement for continuous power transfer.”

When replicated on either of my Ultegra equipped road bikes I can definitely hear and feel the chain being moved up or down the cassette and how much louder it is while I’m mashing on the pedals out of the saddle under load either on the flats or when climbing.

I’m no guru when it comes to all of the tech jargon, all I know is that the Eagle AXS T-type worked and performed extremely well when relied upon during my rides. Long term durability will be key but when the dust settles, I think this new drivetrain is a great option if your frame is UDH compatible.

shimano is behind on mtb groupsets for sure. an update is overdue to bring it in line with what they have for road, where 105, ultegra, and dura-ace all offer 12 speed wired-less instantaneous shifting, under load or not, at a good range of price points.
I am curious about di2 shifting. Can you shift under any load with impunity? I have sort of assumed UDH/Transmission was the way to go. But I don’t actually *want* a full on mountain bike. If the salsa cuttthroat had a motor (or a very similar model with a motor) it would be high on my list. I *think* a short reach relatively upright on the hoods drop bar gravel bike could work really well for me.

Limiting to udh is a major buzzkill as I basically end up “stuck” with full on mountain bikes. Would I love a fuel exe? Yeah, I think I would. Not sure I would love it for the tamer side of riding. I keep seeing things like the ari shafer, lauf seigla and salsa cutthroat and I get really excited if I can make one of those work for me. Yes, I *know* a tero x can do it all. But, right now, it feels like buying a mini-van. Sometimes you just want a convertible.

I’m no guru when it comes to all of the tech jargon, all I know is that the Eagle AXS T-type worked and performed extremely well when relied upon during my rides. Long term durability will be key but when the dust settles, I think this new drivetrain is a great option if your frame is UDH compatible.
Did you try dumping gears quickly? I am curious about the reported shifting delays and “queuing”.

I am curious about di2 shifting. Can you shift under any load with impunity? I have sort of assumed UDH/Transmission was the way to go. …

i am not sure if all versions of di2 feature the hyperglide+ cassettes with all the crazy ramps built into the teeth in various patterns (seriously, no two areas seem alike!) but between that and the power/speed of the motor, i shift under whatever load i feel like.

for me that means steady pedaling of 150-300 watts, generally downshifting as i start climbing the local grades of 5-15 percent.

i do not generally shift when standing up and absolutely hammering at 1000 watts, but i’ve done it to see if it works and it does, with a much more audible sound that doesn’t sound great. i assume transmission is better in this case.

my s-works aethos with 12 speed dura ace di2 has over 10,000 miles, completely trouble free. once cassette replacement, 3 or 4 chains. i think i posted a video a while back of how quickly and smoothly it shifts under load.

my s-works aethos with 12 speed dura ace di2 has over 10,000 miles, completely trouble free. once cassette replacement, 3 or 4 chains. i think i posted a video a while back of how quickly and smoothly it shifts under load.

This seems pretty reasonable. You are doing something right.

I was talking to the guys at the LBS the other day and they were impressed that I have not yet required a chain replacement...and cassette is still looking good at/near 3,000 miles. They recounted that the majority of their ebike customers simply cannot understand proper shifting, the concept of shifting under load, and typically start-off in the wrong gear using heavy motor assist. They suggested that they see VERY fast chain/cassette wear on most ebikes much to the chagrin of the riders/owners who fail to comprehend that their own practices are the culprit. I'm talking chain replacements at < 1000 miles.

I suggested that the majority of these riders might be better suited with IGH.

Back