Anybody Ride a Specialized Turbo Tero Yet?

I did about 30 miles yesterday with 9500' elevation gain had 18% battery left. What an epic ride. All gravel.
PXL_20211022_181038316.jpg
Screenshot_20211023-131134.png

• Fender, Rack, and Kickstand mounts. Rated to pull a thru-axle trailer. Child seat compatible.
Add fender, rack, kickstand, and with trailer would make a nice grocery getter.
My only complaint is that the bike is pretty tall with the rims and tires so it’s not the easiest to mount and dismount

My only complaint is that the bike is pretty tall with the rims and tires so it’s not the easiest to mount and dismount
I don't really like 29ers myself. I wonder if the new Vado with 650B wheels and maybe different tires would be a better bike for me. I have a Levo SL so that will take care of the more technical off road - but I'm looking for something for fire roads and less technical off road. I'd probably not want the fenders/rack and the vado has smaller brake rotors and front fork travel I don't need a dropper seat post and wonder if the Vado suspension post is any good. Since I prefer the 650B wheels what other differences between the Vado and Tero 5.0, what are the other differences? They are the same price and the Vado puts some of the cost difference into the lights/fender/rack/kickstand.

Gain, loss ,gain loss.

That looks like a heck of a ride! Thanks for all that context, it's really hard to get real world data for what these bikes are capable of!

One last question...what assist level(s) did you do that with?

One of these bikes in my size is about 70 miles away, and it's beckoning me. I've been trying to be a good money conscious boy, but my willpower is fading, and I'm about to move to a place that's a half mile away from a network of a billion miles of gravel roads.

I did about 30 miles yesterday with 9500' elevation gain had 18% battery left. What an epic ride. All gravel.

epic! that is a LOT of climbing for a 30 mile ride! 9500' in 10.5 miles of ascending is over 900 feet per mile, which would be an AVERAGE of 17 percent... almost unclimbable for most.

the chart looks more like 4500' of climbing, which would still be a lot for a 30 mile ride :eek:

I don't really like 29ers myself. I wonder if the new Vado with 650B wheels and maybe different tires would be a better bike for me. I have a Levo SL so that will take care of the more technical off road - but I'm looking for something for fire roads and less technical off road. I'd probably not want the fenders/rack and the vado has smaller brake rotors and front fork travel I don't need a dropper seat post and wonder if the Vado suspension post is any good. Since I prefer the 650B wheels what other differences between the Vado and Tero 5.0, what are the other differences? They are the same price and the Vado puts some of the cost difference into the lights/fender/rack/kickstand.
The 650b on the como with original larger tire weighs within a few oz and just a little less than the 29er on the vado with the euro tire. The original trigger tire would probably weigh less.

Let me be controversial today :)

1635105666345.png

This very 45 km/h (28 mph) older Vado 5.0 has the Baramind suspension handlebars and Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat-post as the only form of suspension. I would not trade that universal e-bike for anything else. However, if I considered a 2022 Vado or Tero, I would have gone for the air-shock fork version disregarding the cost. The coil loaded Suntour fork is... disappointing. I can only tell you my other e-bike (Vado SL) with Redshift ShockStop stem and seat-post is more comfy that a Tero 3.0 on rough roads!

With the air-spring fork, you can adjust the air spring to your weight and performance. You can do nothing with the steel coil.

Last edited:
Possibly fits the older vado.
Nah. It's ye goode ole Specialized :D Non standard thru axle makes any replacement impossible unless the wheel and axle are replaced, too. Besides, why make the thing any heavier by using a sus fork instead of the lightweight rigid one?

I am not a big fan of the 29 inch wheels either so I may put some 27.5 on my Tero in the future. Of course
I have yet to ride it, still in this cast, my kids are in Moab riding, a trip I was supposed to take.

Let me be controversial today :)

This very 45 km/h (28 mph) older Vado 5.0 has the Baramind suspension handlebars and Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat-post as the only form of suspension. I would not trade that universal e-bike for anything else. However, if I considered a 2022 Vado or Tero, I would have gone for the air-shock fork version disregarding the cost. The coil loaded Suntour fork is... disappointing. I can only tell you my other e-bike (Vado SL) with Redshift ShockStop stem and seat-post is more comfy that a Tero 3.0 on rough roads!

With the air-spring fork, you can adjust the air spring to your weight and performance. You can do nothing with the steel coil.
Stefan - You have mentioned this bike before, but I think this is the first time I've gotten a good look at it. I imagine with the rigid fork the power is even greater than before due to weight savings. I know you have RedShift on your SL, but am curious why you didn't go that direction here? I am not a fan of suspension seat posts though. All I've tried are too bouncy. I like the concept of a post like the Specialized Cobble Gobbler, though it barely did anything. Both Giant and Trek's design seem better, though don't do a lot either, but they all help some. I am however a big fan of RedShifts's stem (especially the Pro, as the standard is pretty heavy). Suspension stems in the past were poor at dampering and rebounding, but RedShift is quite good. Are those stock tires on your Vado?

I don't know that I'd try to compare this, or a beefed up Vado SL with RedShift to a Tero in any way, as the Tero is designed to be a mountain bike, ridden on trails 98% of the time.

I'm still confident that Specialized is going to release a hybrid/gravel e-bike that is between the Vado SL and Tero, akin to an e-Bike version of a Diverge Evo, or more aggressive Sirrus-X, though it may be once they figure out how to put their patented FutureShock in the seat tube (stays?), and the next iteration of SL motor is finalized, and the global supply/demand chain makes manufacturing such a machine less stressful for them as a business. I could also see two versions, a drop bar that is more of a true gravel bike than the Creo SL Evo, and a flat bar like the Diverge Evo. we'll see...

Will post thoughts on 29 vs. 650b later.

Stefan - You have mentioned this bike before, but I think this is the first time I've gotten a good look at it. I imagine with the rigid fork the power is even greater than before due to weight savings. I know you have RedShift on your SL, but am curious why you didn't go that direction here? I am not a fan of suspension seat posts though. All I've tried are too bouncy. I like the concept of a post like the Specialized Cobble Gobbler, though it barely did anything. Both Giant and Trek's design seem better, though don't do a lot either, but they all help some. I am however a big fan of RedShifts's stem (especially the Pro, as the standard is pretty heavy). Suspension stems in the past were poor at dampering and rebounding, but RedShift is quite good. Are those stock tires on your Vado?

I don't know that I'd try to compare this, or a beefed up Vado SL with RedShift to a Tero in any way, as the Tero is designed to be a mountain bike, ridden on trails 98% of the time.

I'm still confident that Specialized is going to release a hybrid/gravel e-bike that is between the Vado SL and Tero, akin to an e-Bike version of a Diverge Evo, or more aggressive Sirrus-X, though it may be once they figure out how to put their patented FutureShock in the seat tube (stays?), and the next iteration of SL motor is finalized, and the global supply/demand chain makes manufacturing such a machine less stressful for them as a business. I could also see two versions, a drop bar that is more of a true gravel bike than the Creo SL Evo, and a flat bar like the Diverge Evo. we'll see...

Will post thoughts on 29 vs. 650b later.
@Rider51:
My full-power Vado 5.0 is the Specialized flagship e-bike of 2017 that was replaced by the 6.0 next year, by adding a Suntour suspension fork. Both my model and the 6.0 are the only European Speed-Pedelecs up to date. The reason I could not install the Redshift ShockStop to my "big" Vado was... Ye Goode Ole Specialized :) As much as I respect the brand (and I only ride Specialized e-bikes now), the brand is known for non-standard parts. In this very case, the stem of my Vado (identical to the 6.0 one) has an integrated TCD-w mount. TCD-w is mandatory for S-Pedelecs, and I could not find any way to relocate the display, also because of tight cable slack. Instead, I installed the Baramind BAM Trek suspension handlebars, that are almost as good as the ShockStop. (Not exactly as good but wider tyres compensate for that).

Specialized Electrak 2.0 Armadillo (with Gripton compound), 29x2.0" are the type-approved 6.0 tyres. These are puncture durable, almost slick (very low rolling resistance), and with excellent road grip. These are, however, hopeless off-road. I still keep them but have standardized on Schwalbe Smart Sam 47-622 for their all-rounder characteristics. Note that Vado fenders are very tight. Installing narrower tyres created a lot of fender clearance, important for riding in the mud, for instance.

We bought my wife a Tero 3.0 on Saturday. What a great bike.

Can anyone with a Tero (or a Como with the same display) confirm that the USB C port on the display will charge a smartphone? When I plug an Iphone 11 Pro into it the phone charges for about 3 seconds and then stops. The manual and Specialized's website specifically state that it can charge a phone.

Her bike is in the shop because the handlebar control pad goes out intermittently and I'm wondering if the display is bad and also causing the USB C port to shut off.

Thanks.

Last edited:
We bought my wife a Tero 3.0 on Saturday. What a great bike.

Can anyone with a Tero (or a Como with the same display) confirm that the USB C port on the display will charge a smartphone? When I plug an Iphone 11 Pro into it the phone charges for about 3 seconds and then stops. The manual and Specialized's website specifically state that it can charge a phone.

Her bike is in the shop because the handlebar control pad goes out intermittently and I'm wondering if the display is bad and also causing the USB C port to shut off.

Thanks.
What is the minimum charging current of iPhone 11 Pro? The USB-C of the MasterMind TCD is rated at 1 A (which is not much for today's standards). I'm asking because I experience a similar situation in my car radio that can charge a small Samsung smartphone but it stops charging the large Samsung S21 Ultra after several seconds (probably to protect the port against overheating).

Wait until the Tero is returned from the handlebar remote repair, and re-check.

Back