another alternative to mission control and bike computers, tested...

mschwett

Region
USA
please, no debate here on phones vs. bike computers, which seems to be right up there with "tubeless vs tubed," "steel vs carbon," and all the other hot-button religious fervor debates in the cycling world! this thread is not about the pros and cons of one or the other, rather a different way to use a phone on a specialized eBike as your computer.

i have logged just about every single ride i've done on my creo using mission control; which then uploads to strava. sometimes i also use rideWithGPS for navigation, and in the beginning i tried a few other apps like cyclemeter. i use an iphone 12 mini for this, which has an OLED screen, plenty of battery life, is very light, and attaches nicely to my roval alpinist cockpit via a quad-lock case and some other little bits. this method works very well for me but there a couple frustrations:

1. the mission control "rider power" display ONLY shows the instantaneous power, with no opportunities for averaging.
2. the garmin varia "radar overlay" is available in rideWithGPS, but not mission control.
3. no app other than mission control (or BLEVO, which some like but i do not) can receive the bike's power, cadence, and speed data over bluetooth.

it's unfortunate that the creo (or other specialized e-bikes) transmit their sensor data over bluetooth using proprietary profiles or protocols. not surprising, but too bad. many have fiddled around with this, to no avail. however, as many here know the bikes DO transmit their data via industry standard ANT+ radio, a common standard in the e-fitness realm. so.... how to get that data into any of the plethora of iPhone apps for cycling!?!

it turns out there are two readily available devices which do so, the 4iiii viiiiiiiiiiiiiva heart rate strap/ant bridge, and the north pole engineering "cable." i'm going to focus on the latter. the device itself is a small oblong bit of plastic, a few grams in weight, with a coin cell battery.

cable.jpg

to use the bridge, you have to run an iOS only app called "cable util." this is a pretty straightforward little app, it pairs to the cable via bluetooth, and then shows a list of detected ANT+ sensors and their type. in my case, it detected a "11270 PWR" device, a "11270 Speed & Cadence" device, and a 56895 "Heart Rate" device. these can be selected and then the app has options to determine what bluetooth profiles to bundle them into - fitness machine, bike power, etc. i chose "CPS" which combined speed, cadence, and power into one "device" and added heart rate separately just for kicks - this is not necessary since my heart rate monitor also broadcasts via bluetooth itself.

here are the two screens to pair the ANT+ creo sensors to the CABLE, and then choose the bluetooth profiles to rebroadcast on. i took this screenshot away from the bike after setting it up, if i was near the bike the one on the left would have the live data, allowing you to see if it's working by turning the crank etc.

cable copy.jpg

very easy. HOWEVER, i'm sort of an idiot, and struggled with the "power" channel for a while because no matter what i did, it was stuck on a value of "97." even if the bike was stopped. i unpaired, repaired, rebooted, turned the bike on and off and cycled power levels. this was the result of the "fake channel" setting in mission control, which allows the creo to broadcast it's BATTERY LEVEL on one of the ANT+ channels, so that you can display it on your cycling computer. mine was set to power, so it was cheerily broadcasting "97" as the power, no matter what. i suppose if i'd fooled around with it long enough it might have dropped to 96 and i'd have figured it out that was as well. jump to mission control, turn off the fake channel, and resume.

at this point i quit the CABLE app, never to be used again probably, and stuck that little sensor in my pocket. it would also fit many places on the bike.

the app i decided to try first was "cadence," a very full featured cycling app. i was particularly interested in the really robust dashboard configurations AND the fact that it can overlay the varia radar bar and warnings on the dashboards. i didn't bring my varia today, but i'm sure that part works. piece of cake to add the bluetooth sensors. i did not select "pedal balance" because the creo doesn't have a dual sided power meter. the dashboard layout editor is amazing, you can choose the size of the elements and select from hundreds of possibilities. it's also very easy to enter a custom wheel circumference, although i have not determined which value takes precedence - the one entered into the cable config app, or the one in cadence.

cadence.jpg

so, with that done, i rode up the block and back. i had just finished a nice hard ride, so it was truly just a quick test.

it worked exactly as hoped/advertised. here's a quick video, at 4x speed. after the ride, of course you can upload it to automatically to strava, apple fitness, etc. there are tons of great stats available, including the expected charts over time of all the data, averages, etc.

what remains to be seen, of course, is how reliable the two connections are - bike to cable, and cable to phone. the ANT+ protocol is, as i understand it, broadcast only and not really "paired," but i'm not completely sure what wakes up the cable device, and whether the cadence iphone app will hold the connection stable for hours at a time. no reason to think it shouldn't, but you never know...

Interesting find. I’d like to hear more after you do more test runs, and data that can be looked at post ride is more important to me than during ride. Will these apps allow that?

Interesting find. I’d like to hear more after you do more test runs, and data that can be looked at post ride is more important to me than during ride. Will these apps allow that?

absolutely, the app itself has a nice series of screens to see all the metrics graphed over time, plus the route, etc, and it can be exported to strava, apple health, saved as a route, or exported as a .tcx file. most of these apps seem to have similar capabilities now.

it should also be possible to run mission control and this approach at the same time, since the bike can connect via bluetooth while still broadcasting ANT+. i didn't try that yesterday.

absolutely, the app itself has a nice series of screens to see all the metrics graphed over time, plus the route, etc, and it can be exported to strava, apple health, saved as a route, or exported as a .tcx file. most of these apps seem to have similar capabilities now.

it should also be possible to run mission control and this approach at the same time, since the bike can connect via bluetooth while still broadcasting ANT+. i didn't try that yesterday.
So you seem to have found the best solution for you.
For how long did you say your iPhone could hold the battery charge? Screen on or off? (There actually were three reasons for me to go for a Wahoo: a. I typically needed to connect a powerbank to the phone in the middle of my long rides; b. Operating smartphone touchscreen was hardly possible when riding in winter gloves; c. The rain droplets falling onto the touchscreen were upsetting the phone operation).

I typically needed to connect a powerbank in the middle of my long rides; b. Operating smartphone touch screen was hardly possible when riding in winter gloves
Even those junky Bafang drives have 5V ports. ANY glove can be modified to use a touch screen. All sorts of solution. Hmmm might be a good thread...

So you seem to have found the best solution for you.
For how long did you say your iPhone could hold the battery charge? Screen on or off? (There actually were three reasons for me to go for a Wahoo: a. I typically needed to connect a powerbank to the phone in the middle of my long rides; b. Operating smartphone touchscreen was hardly possible when riding in winter gloves; c. The rain droplets falling onto the touchscreen were upsetting the phone operation).

when i was using rideWithGPS and Mission control, battery life was around 10 hours with the screen on perhaps 3/4 of the time, mostly in mission control but sometimes on RwGPS. i haven’t yet used cadence on a long ride so it remains to be seen if it’s a battery hog! however the white on black screen with stats only and no map ought to be similar.

i don’t use the screen much on most rides, so my relatively thin gloves aren’t a problem.
our weather, of course, is much more mild than poland or minnesota, but a few rides in much colder weather convinced me they i’d need much more robust gloves! i do enjoy riding in the rain but not below 10C or so.

the quad-lock case/mount i use for riding actually has a version with magnetic charging. it would be really slick to hardwire that into the bike's battery output. of course specialized doesn't make this easy, but i do believe it would be possible. no wires, no plugs, just click the phone on and have essentially unlimited power! (given how little power the phone uses relative to the capacity of an eBike battery...)

Last edited:
I just use RWGPS to navigate and record my rides. They've recently added personal heat maps and now there is nothing I need on Strava. I don't like the Strava cheering section so I'll probably cancel. The NPE would be handy but it's only iOS and they have a good niche with their current market.

Last edited:
I just use RWGPS to navigate and record my rides. They've recently added personal heat maps and now there is nothing I need on Strava. I don't like the Strava cheering section so I'll probably cancel.
I use RWGPS for route planning, with subsequent upload of the routes to Wahoo. Contrary to you, I value the social media side of Strava, Allan! :)
So many EBR Forums members there!

Guys, another reason I don't want a smartphone on my bars. At freezing point temperatures or below, smartphone will charge dramatically slowly from a powerbank. Today's experience! While a Wahoo works as intended.

Guys, another reason I don't want a smartphone on my bars. At freezing point temperatures or below, smartphone will charge dramatically slowly from a powerbank. Today's experience! While a Wahoo works as intended.
everyone else seems to have more problems with their smartphone batteries than i. 0-2C for four hours and my battery was still at 75% +
the troubles must begin at a colder point than that!
BA68FA15-D9C4-4A24-B69F-65F804E3DD5A.jpeg

everyone else seems to have more problems with their smartphone batteries than i. 0-2C for four hours and my battery was still at 75% +
the troubles must begin at a colder point than that!
View attachment 111970
Excellent B&W photography other than the sidewalls! :cool:

When I started reading in the "Trips" subforum, I'm thinking, ice and snow in SF? Then I saw the map. A real change of climate.

Excellent B&W photography other than the sidewalls! :cool:

When I started reading in the "Trips" subforum, I'm thinking, ice and snow in SF? Then I saw the map. A real change of climate.
i went out this morning, it was a balmy 16F, -9C in stefan units, and while the bike and phone and all that worked perfectly, my gloves (two layers!) were not up to the task. had to turn around quickly, after just a few miles my fingertips were painfully frozen.

i went out this morning, it was a balmy 16F, -9C in stefan units, and while the bike and phone and all that worked perfectly, my gloves (two layers!) were not up to the task. had to turn around quickly, after just a few miles my fingertips were painfully frozen.
For me, the toes go incredibly painful. Hence the electric socks which are a bear putting on - kind of like heavy fabric compression socks one uses for flying! I just purchased the Gore modified lobster mitts for biking. Separate thumb and separate pointer making it easier to press/squeeze levers and Creo remote buttons. Then the last three fingers together. I have a few pairs of regular lobster mitts, too.

For me, the toes go incredibly painful. Hence the electric socks which are a bear putting on - kind of like heavy fabric compression socks one uses for flying! I just purchased the Gore modified lobster mitts for biking. Separate thumb and separate pointer making it easier to press/squeeze levers and Creo remote buttons. Then the last three fingers together. I have a few pairs of regular lobster mitts, too.

nice. i had at my disposal an entire bin of various ski gloves and mittens and went with two layers, wool inside and what seemed windproof (but fairly thin) outside, but it was totally ineffective. toes were fine. i have fairly poor circulation in my hands due to my heart condition, i think, so maybe that contributes.

Data gathering on a bike is silly. You have to admit that anyone who would be impressed by it is someone whose opinion no one would care about. I am about to jump on a bike and view the wildflowers because it is intrinsically fun and liberating. Not because I have some extrinsic motivation or case to prove.

Data gathering on a bike is silly. You have to admit that anyone who would be impressed by it is someone whose opinion no one would care about. I am about to jump on a bike and view the wildflowers because it is intrinsically fun and liberating. Not because I have some extrinsic motivation or case to prove.
pedaluma, i am glad that you’re so superior to those of us who enjoy both bike riding and keeping track of rides, comparing routes or conditions, experimenting with new equipment and techniques, tracking fitness or performance, etc. must be great to be you! 🙄

Back