E-Bike Computer?

That's novel, a workout on an E BIKE LOL

I get a pretty good workout on mine. 2 hours on the non electric gravel and 2 hours on the e-gravel have pretty comparable average heart rates for me. I just go faster and travel a bit further on the ebike.

Ok, am convinced to buy a real bike computer. Now to choose between the edge and element. It appears that the element is easier to configure but the garmin has a longer battery. I think easier to configure wins. Is there any big difference in the two versions of element other than screensize?

Honestly I don't think the battery life difference is going to matter, nor do I think the ease of configuring really matters either (setting up your activity on the Edge is easy, takes a few minutes and in all likelyhood is something you'll only do one time). I would read through the reviews on DCRainmaker for the units you like and see if any features stand out as something you really want. I've been talking from the Edge perspective because thats where my experience is, but I think the Wahoo units are pretty similar. Compare the apps and websites (Garmin has Garmin Connect which is their in-house strava-esque site, I think Wahoo has something roughly similar, both have apps, and obviously both can also upload to Strava).

Yes, why not a pointer to the most powerful but very light type 2 off road e bike? Thank God that my wife has become the ebike speed demon that she has!

I did take some time on the DCRainmaker website. Thanks for the referral! I did a comparison of the 540 vs the Roam and when I just looked at what I might be interested in they both cost about the same and were both excellent choices.

Ok, am convinced to buy a real bike computer. Now to choose between the edge and element. It appears that the element is easier to configure but the garmin has a longer battery. I think easier to configure wins. Is there any big difference in the two versions of element other than screensize?
Yes, there are several differences. The Bolt allows less data fields for the workout screen than the Roam (my demand is 11 fields, hence I use a Roam). Roam has a longer battery life (17 vs 15 hours). Roam makes more extensive use of the LED bars. Roam allows using a wider range of workout data (for pros only!). And the Bolt screen size was too small for me to see the navigation screen clearly.

You say you need a minimal number of data fields. If the smaller map on the Bolt does not baffle you, the Bolt v2 could be ideal for you. (I sold my Bolt v2 to a friend and he only used the Distance Ridden and Ride Time).

I wonder: For how many hours do you plan to stay outdoor? It is up to 12 hours for me except a rare situation such as a 2-day race...

When we do long distance riding (200-300 miles) we typically ride about 50 miles a day so that equates to about 4-6 hour ride days (that is about max for my Wife). Then we check into a hotel, shower and relax. I think I will go with the bolt and give that a try. I hope it will recognize more than one cadence sensor if I want to put it on my type 3 MTB.

Oh yes, we typically get a small suite where the bikes go into the room and everything, including the bikes get charged up over night. The weak link seems to be the fancy iWatches. The batteries on a rural trip are only good for about 5-6 hours. I have learned on long rides not to use the exercise function as it quickly drains the battery and cant seem to make it for more than 3 hours. I typically use an old fashioned regular watch.

I typically use an old fashioned regular watch.
1719431331207.png

Me too :)

One of the main arguments for Garmin is that they make really good sport tracking watches, so its a good ecosystem to be in if you want a cycling computer and sports watch that all sync to the same place.

I had a Fenix 3 for many years and retired it when I was gifted an apple watch. The apple watch is... fine, but falters as a sports watch compared to the Garmin IMO. I've already decided I'm going back to Garmin when I get around to replacing it. I miss only charging the watch once a week instead of once a day (or twice a day if I'm tracking long hikes).

Back