Allant+ 7s Maintenance Update

Sparky731

Region
USA
I expect more early maintenance. That Bosch Performance Speed motor is a brute.
1,250 miles in 10 weeks.
Solo cruising speed: 24-28, Sport & Turbo almost exclusively
Chain cleans and lubes, etc. every 300 miles.
Started to experience some chain climb after shifts this week.
Took bike into Trek. Replaced chain (.75 wear) with Trek's ebike chain, new cassette, and the lead mechanic did lots of derailleur adjustments and 5 test rides. We may still replace the derailleur but they did not have a suitable 9 speed in stock.
As an aside, the Trek Tech said he has replaced the same componentry albeit at a higher quality and price point on his Domane+ with the Performance Speed motor. He notes that the motor and its high torque has the equivalent effect on most drive trains.
Just sharing'

1,250 miles in 10 weeks.
Took bike into Trek. Replaced chain (.75 wear) with Trek's ebike chain, new cassette, and the lead mechanic did lots of derailleur adjustments and 5 test rides. We may still replace the derailleur but they did not have a suitable 9 speed in stock.
As an aside, the Trek Tech said he has replaced the same componentry albeit at a higher quality and price point on his Domane+ with the Performance Speed motor. He notes that the motor and its high torque has the equivalent effect on most drive trains.
Just sharing'
Speed kills…componentry! I’m pretty surprised that the whole drive needs that kind of replacement this early.
My +7 slowpoke is showing almost no wear after 1700+ miles. But then it took me over a year to put that many miles on it and my normal cruise speed is probably 15.

1,250 miles in 10 weeks.
Just sharing'
Wow that’s pretty quick to replace almost the whole drivetrain.

I have 2400 miles on mine and have yet to replace even the chain let alone the cassette. When commuting I ride like my hair is on fire too. Chain shows only very marginal wear. I reckon it has another 1100 miles in it. Derailleur rarely needs a barrel adjustment. A spit shine here and there and it’s good to go. Just brake pads changed once so far.

Last edited:
Wow that’s pretty quick to replace almost the whole drivetrain.

I have 2400 miles on mine and have yet to replace even the chain let alone the cassette. When commuting I ride like my hair is on fire too. Chain shows only very marginal wear. I reckon it has another 1100 miles in it. Derailleur rarely needs a barrel adjustment. A spit shine here and there and it’s good to go. Just brake pads changed once so far.
My Allant+7 chain is fine but my hair is only on fire going down a steep hill! Never have had a derailleur adjustment. No brake pads either.

Not enough hair left to start on fire! Put a few more miles on with the new chain & cassette. A couple of shifts were not as smooth as expected -- although a "quiet" shift is nearly impossible with the Performance Speed motor. If problem continues, I will replace the derailleur as well.

Rode another 60 miles testing and experienced a dozen or more irregular shifts and jumps, etc. Replaced the derailleur today with an upgraded Shimano Deore. (REI had in stock in store -- took to Trek, they put it on, N/C.) Lesson learned for next time: Upgrading drive train components to 8s or equivalent. 10 speed cassette and a clutch derailleur.

Sparky, I have the same bike as you do, mine is for sale. I was pretty insulted at my shop have not been back for months. Drive train gone at 1200 miles , right after my free new bike 1month check up issues started. Replaced cable , chain , and cassette and now it skips with new components. Multiple adjustments different techs same results . Told I am not shifting properly, I must not be pausing when shifting. (I am)I should not go fast or stay at high power. I get on a trail and go for 60 - 100+ Miles. I need a new drive train maybe every 12 rides?? And shift power and gears just for fun?

it does seem unusual that some riders have a completely different experience with the same bike.

Sparky, I have the same bike as you do, mine is for sale. I was pretty insulted at my shop have not been back for months. Drive train gone at 1200 miles , right after my free new bike 1month check up issues started. Replaced cable , chain , and cassette and now it skips with new components. Multiple adjustments different techs same results . Told I am not shifting properly, I must not be pausing when shifting. (I am)I should not go fast or stay at high power. I get on a trail and go for 60 - 100+ Miles. I need a new drive train maybe every 12 rides?? And shift power and gears just for fun?

it does seem unusual that some riders have a completely different experience with the same bike.
Who told you to pause when shifting?

You’re supposed to keep pedaling when shifting but not apply torque/force in your pedal stroke when shifting. Keep the pedals moving when shifting and let your feet guide the pedal stroke not force it.

The bike shop, I was wearing out parts shifting that way they said . The new parts had 30 miles on them, my brother rode this bike last week and told me it was skipping and he didn’t know the history of the issues. They cant make it work correctly with new parts! I may have a bike shop problem or a bike problem as a consumer how do I know?

is a Trek owned shop going to be better?

following up on my above post… I got upset at the situation, and finally called Trek Corp. very friendly and compassionate person set up a call and repair from a Trek corp owned shop (at my request on being Corp owned) . Thinks it might be the front gear and I will follow up after the repair

The sense I’m getting is there’s just a lot of inconsistency in manufacturing across the board these days. With COVID causing long pauses in parts and ebike manufacturing and starts/stops in supply. And with bike shops shut down or lacking supply, techs get less time assembling/working on ebikes. All told there’s a lot of complaining going on with a lot of brands.

Sorry to hear your quandary, opimax. After component (all upgraded) replacements my bike is 100% again. But expect another replacement go-round in the future. Although, Trek techs believe I will get many more miles with the ebike chain. I had the option to take my bike to my LBS where I bought the bike (in stock). I trust them as well, but my local Trek store is only a 10 minute bike ride from home. Kind of glad I went there.
Per shifting, yes quite hard on the drive train per the motor’s torque. I try to take advantage of low pressure shifts but is not always possible when riding the bike as I like to — always fast!

Shop called , going to leave the bike with them , nice and caring individual on the phone.
Going to chalk up your situation as very bad luck.

But as @Dallant said there is a lot of inconsistencies in quality control and manufacturing due to the pandemic related supply chain issues and mechanics, manufacturers being overwhelmed.

Even usually reliable brands like Trek are feeling the squeeze as you are experiencing. The good thing is Trek stands by the product and they will make it right for you.

You will have the trouble-free reliable Trek e-bike you deserve very soon.

Dropped off at the shop, 30+ miles, nasty Atlanta traffic even mid day but so far worth it

older nice but firm tech asks questions and determined the chain is not popping off and it isn’t after shift. the pedal turns and jumps a 1/2 turn randomly but he noticed there was excessive free play after every pedal stop and started so 2 min diag conclusion free wheel in rear is bad (pretty sure it is the clicky thing that lets the wheel coast) . sounds like the same thing the 9s we’re having issue with.

made sense to me ,waiting for next step ….oh and warranty will cover I believe

I hope you don’t mind my posting here but I want to follow up

I called the Trek shop when I returned home from being away a week . Rear wheel needs to be rebuilt , same as the known Allant 9 problems. I 1st complained of this issue at 1200 miles and the 2nd month of ownership (And the 1st time it was serviced most likely coincidence ) . Since then I have returned to the purchased from shop at 3 times I remember if not more . I have replaced the rear cogs twice, the chain once or twice, and the inner cable to the rear once. Possible some add’l adjustments. Now I don’t know what was needed and what wasn’t . I believe only once did I not get a bill.

With the help of the shop and Trek. I only have have to pay $287 (note sarcarsism of “only”) . It is an expensive repair and people making huge efforts to get me parts but 1 shop visit since I have the bike that didn’t cost money or 2 if you count the argument with the shop manager where I was asked not to come back unless I had a problem he could fix where I walked out on him wanting 33 bucks for the 2nd cog and I wouldn’t pay

my self centered thought on this would have be them being even nicer and comp me for the efforts I have made to get a reliable local service ebike paying list cost, adding the 2nd battery option and even buying a 3rd battery and 2nd charger (5gs or so) The Atlanta Cycling shop in Vinings had 4 or more attempts to diag/repair the correct issue and did not . It has slipped on the 1 st ride after the last 2 repairs which should have been noticed by the shop IMHO.

I appreciate the shop who has my bike just getting it fixed correctly. I politely gave the guy a small piece of my mind because he was the bearer of bad news and a Trek employee , I hope he understood I was frustrated at the situation and not him which I stated multiple times.

one of the statements made was because I want to sell the bike that it wasnt being completely covered. This should not matter. 1 of the reasons for thinking of selling was it was eating parts. If the bike is more reliable after this repair I would possibly like to keep it for one of n+1 spares I will have. This bike shop is a little over an hour away I can try to find another shop more local and all good?

Tough situation to be in, opima.
FYI, just turned 1,500 miles and shifting has not been positive since replacing chain, cassette, and derailleur @ 1,200 miles. Primary issue is not hitting the outside gear smoothly. I am also noticing vibration through the pedals when at max speed (26-28mph).
I am not ready to sell the beast yet. Too much fun to ride!
My Trek shop is only a 10 minute bike ride away and they have been super helpful — I buy my bikes and a lot of accessories, clothing, and service from them.
I am attempting to tweak the derailleur for the next few rides. If not successful I will visit Trek again and explore the problem further. One of the internal Trek salespersons has had similar wear/parts replacement issues with his Domane+ HP.

I have the vibration too , it seemed 1 time it dissappepared after one of the services and came back the next time , wasn’t sure didnt think much about it at the time. Hope you get it out

Minor tweaks to the derailleur and shifts are golden. Very sweet. All is good.
Plus, interesting Bosch battery algorithm computations … started a group ride yesterday with a full charge showing 51 mile range in Turbo. Rode 27 miles with group @ 12-16mph. After the ride, display showed 60 mile range in Turbo. 205 miles in Eco. Gotta love it! Rode another 35 Turbo miles this morning leaving me with 4 miles left. Apparently the range computation includes a factor based upon the previous ride.
Either or neither, it seems that I cannot out-ride my 1000 watt battery array with my 70 yr old legs!

Back