Allant 8s Newbie...what's going on with the Trek Allant line?

teddydanielz

Region
USA
City
St. Louis
I bought my first e-bike in early July. I couldn't find much at the stores around town but really appreciated the Bosch Performance Line Speed motor (I test rode a Cannondale with it and was hooked). I found a Trek Allant 8S 2021 model online. I liked the bells and whistles (rack and I thought the Bosch phone mount looked cool---bad read). I thought I found a deal. I've logged about 75 miles and enjoy the bike but noticed that Trek "archived" the Allant 8s online. What's going on with the Allant line? Any ideas? Here's my "red rover" before I put her together. I do wish I found the 7s with the front suspension, though. Looking forward to biking much more.

1659468784389.png

I bought my first e-bike in early July. I couldn't find much at the stores around town but really appreciated the Bosch Performance Line Speed motor (I test rode a Cannondale with it and was hooked). I found a Trek Allant 8S 2021 model online. I liked the bells and whistles (rack and I thought the Bosch phone mount looked cool---bad read). I thought I found a deal. I've logged about 75 miles and enjoy the bike but noticed that Trek "archived" the Allant 8s online. What's going on with the Allant line? Any ideas? Here's my "red rover" before I put her together. I do wish I found the 7s with the front suspension, though. Looking forward to biking much more.
A Baramind suspension handlebar will go a long way to adding compliance on the front end at low cost and zero maintenance. With the weakness of the euro versus the dollar, this is a good time to buy one. They are made in France and I ordered mine directly from Baramind.

Baramind City on my Allant 9.9S
20211008_071726.jpg

Last edited:
I still see it as current. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...allant-8s-stagger/p/30266/?colorCode=greydark
Nothing has changed, though, except no red anymore. Still the same doggy rear rack and smartphone hub. :(

The stock rack is great for panniers and provides rock solid support to the rear fender. There are a number of options for seatpost mounted beam racks to support a rear trunk bag that work well on an Allant. My favorite is the rixen Kaul Contour Max Sport. It has to be sourced from Europe but is a super easy and elegant solution. https://www.bike24.com/p2326607.html

326607-05-d-682804.jpg

Snaps on when you need it. Snaps off when you don't
20220802_145211.jpg

Thanks for tip. My first mod will be a better seat post. Also noticing I’m positioned pretty aggressively because I have a lot of pressure on my hands. I have to adjust my geometry a bit. Love the bontrager grips. My motor control button also keeps rotating and I haven’t found a sweet spot on it yet. Any tips for mounting the cockpit?

I have an XL Allant 9s and a new medium sized 7s for visiting friends. I wish I’d gotten your 8s for them (though I took what LBS could find). The suspension on it is not very effective and with a good suspension seatpost like the Kinect( and Baramind) you’ll be more than happy With your bike

Just switched out my Cobi for a Nyon on my 8..Nyon is great. Bag wise I just added a Topeak 8L trunk bag mounted on their MTX Beamrack V-Type. Mounted very easily onto my 31.6mm Thudbuster seat post (also just added and very good so far). Rated for 20lbs. Bag is about 1.5 lbs. Will fit everything else I need. Securely clicks on and slides off. Has handle and shoulder strap if needed.

Attachments

• 51888E1D-8038-4877-BA45-E68B38216028.jpeg
    51888E1D-8038-4877-BA45-E68B38216028.jpeg
    724.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 6BA3ED92-C1FA-4750-997A-1624CB77A71A.jpeg
    6BA3ED92-C1FA-4750-997A-1624CB77A71A.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 984A8600-FAA7-4557-9D42-1E5158114401.jpeg
    984A8600-FAA7-4557-9D42-1E5158114401.jpeg
    572.4 KB · Views: 254
Just switched out my Cobi for a Nyon on my 8..Nyon is great. Bag wise I just added a Topeak 8L trunk bag mounted on their MTX Beamrack V-Type. Mounted very easily onto my 31.6mm Thudbuster seat post (also just added and very good so far). Rated for 20lbs. Bag is about 1.5 lbs. Will fit everything else I need. Securely clicks on and slides off. Has handle and shoulder strap if needed.
I have been using the Topeak trunk bags for over 10 years. They work great and hold up to continuous long term use. Highly recommended.

The stock rack is great for panniers and provides rock solid support to the rear fender. There are a number of options for seatpost mounted beam racks to support a rear trunk bag that work well on an Allant. My favorite is the rixen Kaul Contour Max Sport. It has to be sourced from Europe but is a super easy and elegant solution. https://www.bike24.com/p2326607.html

View attachment 131024
Snaps on when you need it. Snaps off when you don't
View attachment 131031
Hi. Did you install the Range Boost kit yourself or did it come with the bike?

I have an XL Allant 9s and a new medium sized 7s for visiting friends. I wish I’d gotten your 8s for them (though I took what LBS could find). The suspension on it is not very effective and with a good suspension seatpost like the Kinect( and Baramind) you’ll be more than happy With your bike
ya I had a cheap suspension fork on my bulls with 1.5" tires it was so harsh. even a upgrade to a rock shock fork only helped a small amount. the 8 is easier on the body wit those tires. but now that I changed to 2" tubules tires it's even better.

Hi. Did you install the Range Boost kit yourself or did it come with the bike?
its dealer installed. my mechanic had a hello f a time because I did not need the battery just the mount and wiring. he had to order al the parts separately and get it all built without instructions. later he did the full kit (it comes assembled) and its really easy.

its dealer installed. my mechanic had a hello f a time because I did not need the battery just the mount and wiring. he had to order al the parts separately and get it all built without instructions. later he did the full kit (it comes assembled) and its really easy.
I have the kit minus battery, (I already had a battery). Although the installation instructions make it look easy, I CANNOT get the six motor mount bolts loosened. I'm trying to figure out if they are epoxied in or reverse-threaded or something. I've even used an impact wrench!

Back