Adapting a Pedego Wide Rear Rack For Use With Standard Bags & Accessories

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I love my Pedego Interceptor but the wide rear rack makes it difficult to use "standard" width tail bags and accessories. In my case, I'm fond of the Bontrager / Electra interchange system which makes it a snap to swap attachments. The adapter described below is for this type rack but the same principle can be used to adapt almost any brand or type of rack system. It does not modify the Pedego rack in any way and is easily removed if necessary.

I bought a Bontrager / Electra rear rack assembly but almost any brand or style will work.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I cut the top off with a hacksaw as shown.

09592_A_1_BackRack_Deluxe_La.jpg

Then, using four 5/8" and four 3/8" rubber insulated cable clamps, I attached the rack top piece to the Pedego rack as shown.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner...ulated-Metal-Clamps-2-Pack-PPR-1500/100150329

P1070096a.jpg P1070100a.jpg P1070101a.jpg P1070099a.jpg

The modified rack still allows use of the Pedego pannier bags.

P1070102a.jpg

It also allows the use of various Bontrager / Electra interchange bags in combination with the Pedego Panniers.

P1070098a.jpg P1070106a.jpg P1070103a.jpg P1070106a.jpg P1070104a.jpg

Last edited:
This is a great hack, thanks so much for sharing! I'm researching for a better rack solution for my new Conveyor. I guess will have to use a hacksaw, bolts plus some creativity to come up with a decent solution to fit my needs and still to keep the beauty of the bicycle.

It's a pity that Pedego is forcing customers for such workarounds due to the lack of nicely designed accessories and solutions.

I love my Pedego Interceptor but the wide rear rack makes it difficult to use "standard" width tail bags and accessories. In my case, I'm fond of the Bontrager / Electra interchange system which makes it a snap to swap attachments. The adapter described below is for this type rack but the same principle can be used to adapt almost any brand or type of rack system. It does not modify the Pedego rack in any way and is easily removed if necessary.

I bought a Bontrager / Electra rear rack assembly but almost any brand or style will work.

I cut the top off with a hacksaw as shown.

View attachment 26641

Then, using four 5/8" and four 3/8" rubber insulated cable clamps, I attached the rack top piece to the Pedego rack as shown.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner...ulated-Metal-Clamps-2-Pack-PPR-1500/100150329

View attachment 26642 View attachment 26645 View attachment 26646 View attachment 26644

The modified rack still allows use of the Pedego pannier bags.

View attachment 26647

It also allows the use of various Bontrager / Electra interchange bags in combination with the Pedego Panniers.

That's cool
I wonder if there is a possibility of creating an Aluminum battery box that sits in the front triangle?
This would alter the handling considerably.

That's cool
I wonder if there is a possibility of creating an Aluminum battery box that sits in the front triangle?
This would alter the handling considerably.

Mounting a spare battery in the front triangle would indeed improve the bike's handling. It would be possible to do but it would have to be built to fit a battery with a different profile. The shape of the OEM Pedego Interceptor battery would be difficult to mount in the front triangle. Using a different battery would mean modifying the bike's wiring harness since it wouldn't fit the stock battery case. For warranty and possible resale reasons, I avoid making any permanent alterations to the bike.

I did however make a spare battery box for the rear mount of the Pedego. Check out post #6 in this thread:

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/carrying-spare-pedego-rear-rack-batteries.25618/

Back