Pedego Rear Rack Battery Contact Replacement

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
This is not something the average Pedego bike owner will have to do but I thought I would post it anyway in case it might help others.

I accidentally overheated one of the internal battery contacts on one of my Pedego rear rack batteries. The heat removed the temper of the contact spring metal and it would no longer make a solid connection. It was my fault and not a problem caused by the bike itself. I was using the battery for another purpose at the time with it removed from the bike.

P1080033c.jpg

The battery is out of warranty and likely wouldn't have been covered anyway since I caused the problem. Faced with the prospect of having to buy a new $700 battery, I decided to take a chance and open the battery case. This is NOT recommended by Pedego and will void any existing warranty. With nothing to loose, I decided to see if these contacts could be replaced. After some searching, I found these Hailong connectors on eBay which are an exact replacement:

The set includes both male and female connectors. While the female side is installed in the battery case, the male plug makes it easy to tap the battery for other uses if desired.

Some tool and soldering skills are required but overall, the replacement was not that difficult.

This is not something the average Pedego bike owner will have to do but I thought I would post it anyway in case it might help others.

I accidentally overheated one of the internal battery contacts on one of my Pedego rear rack batteries. The heat removed the temper of the contact spring metal and it would no longer make a solid connection. It was my fault and not a problem caused by the bike itself. I was using the battery for another purpose at the time with it removed from the bike.

View attachment 102653

The battery is out of warranty and likely wouldn't have been covered anyway since I caused the problem. Faced with the prospect of having to buy a new $700 battery, I decided to take a chance and open the battery case. This is NOT recommended by Pedego and will void any existing warranty. With nothing to loose, I decided to see if these contacts could be replaced. After some searching, I found these Hailong connectors on eBay which are an exact replacement:

The set includes both male and female connectors. While the female side is installed in the battery case, the male plug makes it easy to tap the battery for other uses if desired.

Some tool and soldering skills are required but overall, the replacement was not that difficult.

Pedego Actually Sent me a New Battery Case Which Came with this Already in it,…That Makes them #1 in My Book !!! On a Note, It Needed Replacement because It Shorted & Partially Melted When I Pushed the Battery into the Case with The Toggle Power Switch in the “ON” Position.

Pedego Actually Sent me a New Battery Case Which Came with this Already in it,…That Makes them #1 in My Book !!! On a Note, It Needed Replacement because It Shorted & Partially Melted When I Pushed the Battery into the Case with The Toggle Power Switch in the “ON” Position.
My battery was out of warranty when I burned the contact but I probably should have contacted Pedego. It's likely they would have sent me a replacement anyway. They do indeed go out of their way to help their customers.

My battery was out of warranty when I burned the contact but I probably should have contacted Pedego. It's likely they would have sent me a replacement anyway. They do indeed go out of their way to help their customers.
We will absolutely work with any customer to get the components replaced, please do not hesitate to reach out if that happens. I am happy to hear you found a resolution on your own, but we are more than happy to be involved to find a solution!

A failed design. There are pin versions for Hailong case upgrades. Sorry I don’t know what Pedego uses.

Pedego uses these Hailong 4 contact blade style connectors in their rear rack batteries:

Note: You need to select the 4 pin design to see the correct picture.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this connector design. I damaged mine while using the battery in an off bike application. It was my fault, not the connector.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this connector design.
We saw many 4 blade issues. Arching, poor contacts, and power cutouts. Sadly non of the resellers realized what could happen and the end-users got no warning or directions. They do need regular inspection and adjustment.

Back