Adding trailer lights to a Thule Easy fold.

Alaskan

With two bikes loaded on our Thule Easyfold, our brake and turn lights are partly obscured and made more difficult to see for drivers behind us. I try to be safety conscious at all times, an artifact from my career as a professional mariner.

I stumbled across this video, demonstrating how to fit our Thule Easyfold XT2, North American model without built in lights like those that come on the Euro model.

As our car did not have the trailer wiring harness pre-installed, I first had to install that. I got the correct Curt harness for our car, a 2018 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE/ It cost $35 on Ebay came with so so, more generic instructions so YouTube came in handy once again.

The Curt rear light kit was $34 shipping included on ebay.

Curt 53201 Auxiliary LED Indicator Lights

It works just fine and now we are a little better protected from someone who can't see our car's brake lights, failing to slow down or stop and running smack into our bikes.

Adding lights to a bike rack that will partially block the back lights when loaded (with multiple bikes) is a great idea, especially if a bike cover is used.
I added a pair of LED lights to my bike rack because when our two bikes are mounted on the rack, on the back of our motorhome (with covers), the back lights are 90% hidden.
BlvkfsL.jpg

I looked into adding a wire plug at the rear of my SUV (Infiniti) so that I could add lights to my Thule rack and the Hitch installer wanted $ 400 for Parts and Labor as he argued he had to run the wire all the way to the front of the car. Got one more quote not much better

We have to meet up for a ride when Covid is under control and our mutual border opens up. We honeymooned on VI and are frequent visitors. We have dear friends down in Sydney who bought a boat from us many years ago. They are Yukoners who bounce back and forth. He is a cyclist as well.

I looked into adding a wire plug at the rear of my SUV (Infiniti) so that I could add lights to my Thule rack and the Hitch installer wanted $ 400 for Parts and Labor as he argued he had to run the wire all the way to the front of the car. Got one more quote not much better
Our Toyota dealer wanted $475 to install the OEM rear trailer harness. I bought the Curt harness which had all the needed hardware for $34 and found 100% compatible, figured out how to do the install which took all of an hour and was ready to plug in the light kit.

Our Toyota dealer wanted $475 to install the OEM rear trailer harness. I bought the Curt harness which had all the needed hardware for $34 and found 100% compatible, figured out how to do the install which took all of an hour and was ready to plug in the light kit.
Will look into that, thanks

correct...but had the parts laying around...but also i like the fact i can place my unit higher up and thus more visible then the stick-on curt unit...worked really great on a recent long trip with my kuat hauler unit.....however, think it might might be cheaper on home depot for the curt you suggest fyi..about 23 bucks...

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I got the suggested tail lights and harness from Curt, installed them but... but ... the driver's side of the lights does not work. Any suggestions? troubleshooting steps? Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, I got the suggested tail lights and harness from Curt, installed them but... but ... the driver's side of the lights does not work. Any suggestions? troubleshooting steps? Thanks in advance.
Carefully check each of your connections. IF you find nothing obviously amiss, contact Curt, and see if they have a help line.

If you don't have a cheap voltage continuity and current tester buy one and work your way backwards from the light that won't work.

Back