a little hot on the ride home.

fooferdoggie

this is this is a day I don't feel guilty cranking uo the assists on my e bike.sucked I did not burn more calories usually around 200 only did 150 or so. had a 48oz bottle of ice water on my back. it was only 8 miles.
Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 6.11.17 PM.jpg

....and I thought this was about a hot motor.
Glad you survived. Those are some hot temps for a human engine.

I never drink and ride. I rarely ride over 40 miles and I rehydrate when I get home. I mow lawns commercially for 4 to 5 hours a day and I don't drink anything while working either. I don't advocate that it's a healthy practice but it has never bothered me and I'm in my seventies.

I could notice being electrically assisted requires less effort from the e-biker compared to a traditional cyclist. It is also important what you drink.

The guy who was together with me on the latest ride claimed he drank as much as five litres of water. I only needed two litres of isotonic drink, two small bottles of Coke, and two mugs of coffee for a longer ride than he did!

We did 36 miles the other day in the sun, 105F, over about 4 hours. Had 5 liters of water (for two), 2 of which had electrolytes. Apparently not enough because we suffered dehydration. The following day was rough. Not going to let that happen again.

Careful out there!
ya its hard to drink enough. I had to ride home when it was 113 and even then I had to stop 1/2 the way at a convince store to cool off and get a big bottle of water.

I like the hot weather (that's upper 90's in N. Illinois).. I'll ride in the early morning or after the sun goes low in the sky. These days, that's 5 PM. The freezing stuff is only 10 weeks out and lasts too long.

I'm sure no one wants to hear that it got up to a whopping 72°F here in coastal SoCal today — about average for this August so far.

I gather that August skies are usually pretty clear here, but lots of gray marine layer skies this August, too. Couldn't be too rare, though. In addition to the "May Gray" and "June Gloom" of coastal California slang, there's also "Fogust". Luckily, no ground fog where I ride.

Not complaining, mind you: 68-72°F with gray skies makes for some very comfortable riding.

Last edited:
Two options for being outside in that weather: on a bike, or in the water. Everything else is torture :D
This reminds me of an epic ride in August 2020 in the Polish/Czech borderland, the Jizera Mountains. After a long e-bike climb, we hit one of the smallest Czech towns, Nove Mesto pode Smrkem, where I requested a short stop. The main square (as many in East European towns) was paved with concrete. The heat hit me so strongly there I just looked at Jacek and we left the town immediately just to feel a little bit of the wind, making the ride bearable! :)

Our weather is just getting nice. I'm used to the heat now, and heat is backing off a little. I wear long sleeves and pants, so sunlight doesn't heat me, just the clothes. Going to be mid-nineties end of the week, I'll enjoy that last blast of summer. Riding a bike is nothing as hot as my other pastime, cutting up tree limbs, hauling them & dragging them in the gully. Sweatier without the motion of the bike. I don't have A/C out at the summer camp, just a fan blowing on my chair in front of the radio.
Don't know about olbriar; I used to drink a gallon a day when I unloaded trailers without a fan summers in Houston. I weighed 120 lb, no insulation.
I go through 2 20 oz bottles water usually on a summer day ride of 30 miles. I have two in reserve in the bag. I did okay without water in school & marching band practice when I was in high school, but the restrooms were vile smokehouses in those days, I never used them. Spring Branch schools had no A/C so I sweated off any water in a school day, or walking home from band practice..

riding along the paths it smelled like blackberry pie baking. a little better yesterday only about 100 and the wife and I could handle a short tandem ride after 5.

I rode to work on my motor scooter as much as possible. Yesterday was 104 heatwave with a 78 dew point and it was horrible! I was sweaty by the time I arrived to work, just by plopping my chubby butt on a seat and twisting a throttle. That was a long 14 mile commute. I got mugged by the muggyness! Last summer I rode the ebike to work and it was one of those horrible hot days and it actually affected the ebike a bit. Power seemed off, kinda weak response, like I had a low tire. It was fine going home that night.

Back