Bafang Reliability

TLC

Region
USA
I installed a Bafang BBS02 750 watt motor on my Baccehetta recumbent bike. I have the controller set at 18 amps with nine settings using a 48 volt battery. Max speed is 40mph thats as high as I can spin the petals. I ride between 140 and 150 miles a week. On flat ground I use a setting of 20% ( think around 145 watts) ridding at speeds of 21+ mph. At 4700 miles I serviced the motor by disassembling the motor and greasing everything. I found one thrust bearing on the pedal crank shaft had come apart and had to be replaced I never felt any problem or roughness before disassembly. I now have 8800 miles on the motor without any problems ( I did have battery problems but that's another story ). I plan to disassembly the motor at 10,000 miles and do another service. At the present time I don't have a throttle on the bike but when I did I only used it starting up and or when crossing highways. The unit is a little heavy but who cares only notice weight when loading the bike. I don't have the best hearing at my age but I have never heard the motor run. With the price you can purchase the Bafang BBS02 I think it would be hard to beat.

My luck with a BBS02 is not quite as good as yours, even though I use it pretty gently.
Just shy of 2000 miles my secondary gears started making noise on a cold (below freezing) morning.
I had to replace the pinion gear, grease went dry. Thankfully, the nylon gear still looks like new.
I re-greased it with some automotive CV axle grease I had on hand.
Will check the grease out after 500 miles. I'm glad it's easy to get to the big gears, just a plastic cover.

Last edited:
I installed a Bafang BBS02 750 watt motor on my Baccehetta recumbent bike. I have the controller set at 18 amps with nine settings using a 48 volt battery. Max speed is 40mph thats as high as I can spin the petals. I ride between 140 and 150 miles a week. On flat ground I use a setting of 20% ( think around 145 watts) ridding at speeds of 21+ mph. At 4700 miles I serviced the motor by disassembling the motor and greasing everything. I found one thrust bearing on the pedal crank shaft had come apart and had to be replaced I never felt any problem or roughness before disassembly. I now have 8800 miles on the motor without any problems ( I did have battery problems but that's another story ). I plan to disassembly the motor at 10,000 miles and do another service. At the present time I don't have a throttle on the bike but when I did I only used it starting up and or when crossing highways. The unit is a little heavy but who cares only notice weight when loading the bike. I don't have the best hearing at my age but I have never heard the motor run. With the price you can purchase the Bafang BBS02 I think it would be hard to beat.
10k on mine in 3 years and it's running as well as day 1... max current set to 20a
I've opened it twice to grease the main gear in this time.

Bulletproof reliability is pretty much the norm for these motors. The ones who break things tend to be the folks who run custom controllers and REALLY big power thru them. Those are the guys looking for metal internal gears and whatnot. I've always stuck to the stock power levels, dialed back my PAS, and have never had to replace anything ever on any of my 7 separate BBSHD'd bikes. I would have crossed 3000 miles on one today if I hadn't chickened out because of the rain and drove into work. I'll do penance for that over the weekend.

I am at about 1,500 miles with my BBS02 750 watt Bafang on a Surly Long Haul Trucker. Bulletproof reliability is indeed what I was hoping for and thus far is what I am experiencing. Regreased the big gear at 1k
Only had two issues:
- Standard cranks seemed a bit 'wobbly' so a replaced with Lekkie cranks.
- Needed to add Di-electric grease to wire connections after a few days on the Katy Trail (speed sensor connection was covered in fine dust and connection failed. Di-electric grease resolved the issue)

Seems like a good motor for touring. I prefer it to the Shimano Steps 6000 system I had 5,000 miles on.

The options and availability of batteries is a major plus. I have found having two or three smaller batteries works great for me. I Rotate them and only carry what the the ride needs.

First problem on mine in 7 years was the speed sensor stopped working, a week ago I bought a new sensor but suddenly the old one started working just as I was going to swap it. Probably dirty pins.

For $376 shipped to the USA (48V 750W), PSWpower offers a great deal on the BBS02B. Don't need a US vendor/warranty when it's so reliable. Still need a $15 program cable to correct the silly PAS settings, but then it's perfect,

I am at about 1,500 miles with my BBS02 750 watt Bafang on a Surly Long Haul Trucker. Bulletproof reliability is indeed what I was hoping for and thus far is what I am experiencing. Regreased the big gear at 1k
Only had two issues:
- Standard cranks seemed a bit 'wobbly' so a replaced with Lekkie cranks.
- Needed to add Di-electric grease to wire connections after a few days on the Katy Trail (speed sensor connection was covered in fine dust and connection failed. Di-electric grease resolved the issue)

Seems like a good motor for touring. I prefer it to the Shimano Steps 6000 system I had 5,000 miles on.

The options and availability of batteries is a major plus. I have found having two or three smaller batteries works great for me. I Rotate them and only carry what the the ride needs.

Yup i ride the same, i was going to sell my smaller packs but then quickly realized the were great for fine tuning the amount of battery needed for a ride, if i dont need an additional 19ah i will grab an 11ah pack and you really notice the difference in weight!

New member here. Reading this thread since I plan on installing a BBS02 on my Bacchetta Giro 700c.
Good to hear of the reliability of Bafang motors and look forward to the install. I will more than likely do a pre first ride greasing of the gears since it sounds easy just to be sure.

JK

Update, I now have a little over 14000 miles on my Bacchetta with a Bafang BBS02. When I downloaded a new app on my phone to re program my controller (SPEEED) I did a little playing pushing the motor to full power on throttle, it would go like a small motorcycle. The controller started acting up, I could tell I had done some damage playing at full power the power would shut off for just a second so I knew I had done a little damage. So I ordered another controller from Amazon. All controllers are not the same the new one only shows battery volts where the controller from Bafang Direct showed either volts or percentages. When installing the new controller I checked and greased all the components and gears. All I can say is the Bafang BBS02 is just about bullet proof. Have gotten more than my moneys worth out of the motor.

Back