+8 vs 9.9 vs 9.9s vs Powerfly FS9

Gee_Whiz

Ive been researching bikes all day and was originally considering the R&M Superdelites and Superchargers (both too heavy), and the Stromers (not a fan of hub motors and the current US support) and this all brought me back to the Trek models. I currently have a '21 +8 (derestricted) and the ride is nice, no complaints other than there's a weird rubbing/whirring sound coming from the front tire that my local LBS cant figure out. I was thinking of going with a 9 or 9s if one can be found due to the weight savings over the aluminum +8 frame; is the difference between an 8 and 9/9s noticeable in the weight and components generally? I went with the 8+ due to the better low-end torque vs the S motor, but open to either.

Alternatively, would either of these models compare to the '22 Powerfly FS 9? I do a bit of light offroading on a different bike (Frey HT1000), but was considering the Powerfly as well, as it seems to possibly be a good combo of offroading and commuting.

Also are any of the models able to handle a dual 625 battery setup? I cant seem to find info on the website on this.

Thanks! and all thoughts welcomed

Last edited:
Hard to answer if one hasn't been the owner of several of them....maybe you you should ask for owners" experience with the individual bikes? Just my suggestion though

Seems like a pretty broad consideration of different bikes. Given already owning a bike that you say you are happy with, is the new one only because of the unresolved rubbing/whirring sound? As that sounds solvable at a lower cost than a new bike. Also, the bikes and batteries will only continue to get better so why the hurry for a new one?

For extended battery, at least from Trek, you can refer to the bottom of this link:

Seems like a pretty broad consideration of different bikes. Given already owning a bike that you say you are happy with, is the new one only because of the unresolved rubbing/whirring sound? As that sounds solvable at a lower cost than a new bike. Also, the bikes and batteries will only continue to get better so why the hurry for a new one?

For extended battery, at least from Trek, you can refer to the bottom of this link:
I think I was looking mainly at how a Powerfly may ride in comparison to the 8+ to possibly converge the two bikes that I currently ride but it may make more sense to keep them separate. Also looking at Vados as there's a member here, Stefan Mikes, who has been SUPER helpful and has shown how versatile those bikes are

Some things to consider:

1. Consider yourself lucky as you already have a road and off-road specific electric bike.
2. Tires are a big deal, so if you consolidate you won't have road vs dirt specific tires, unless you have 2 sets of wheels (which is my approach) and I can tell you that has its own issues.
3. I expect you put more miles on the road than off-road, so to minimize drivetrain wear on the longer road rides you need to be more on top of keeping a clean drivetrain after your off-road adventures.
4. Calculate your cost per mile ridden to date for the bikes you already have. Double your efforts to bring that cost down! You only have one way to do that ... ride the crap out of them and rack up the miles.

I am aggressively working on point 4, and at the point I want to consider a new bike I hope that my cost per mile makes that decision justified.

Some things to consider:

1. Consider yourself lucky as you already have a road and off-road specific electric bike.
2. Tires are a big deal, so if you consolidate you won't have road vs dirt specific tires, unless you have 2 sets of wheels (which is my approach) and I can tell you that has its own issues.
3. I expect you put more miles on the road than off-road, so to minimize drivetrain wear on the longer road rides you need to be more on top of keeping a clean drivetrain after your off-road adventures.
4. Calculate your cost per mile ridden to date for the bikes you already have. Double your efforts to bring that cost down! You only have one way to do that ... ride the crap out of them and rack up the miles.

I am aggressively working on point 4, and at the point I want to consider a new bike I hope that my cost per mile makes that decision justified.
Thank you so much for the insightful post Tyson!

There are a couple of Powerfly threads below where I commented a fair amount describing my new Powerfly 9 and comparing it to my Allant +8S. Tim

There are a couple of Powerfly threads below where I commented a fair amount describing my new Powerfly 9 and comparing it to my Allant +8S. Tim
Lol I happened upon them which is what got me interested initially! Has anything changed or still absolutely loving the ride? Do you have insights on how the bike compares to your Allant as well?

"looks good. with 100 mm of rear travel any shock will be limited in what it can do over the big stuff, but ... what you give up on that extreme pays back with exceptional control on pavement, which is the great compromise that the Powerfly is all about.

i would estimate that my Powerfly 9 EQ is about 90% as good on pavement as my Allant+8S, and about 80% as good as a full mountain ebike off road. the 90% as good on pavement could be higher due to the softer ride but is held back by the Class 1 (20mph) where the Allant+8S is Class 3 (28mph)

the real beauty of the Powerfly is the ease of alternating paved and unpaved on a ride. go anywhere on any surface that interests you. i'm already discovering new places. tim"

i think i covered a lot of the salient points in this thread. i have been out of town on business for three weeks and unable to ride the Powerfly. i did order and receive studded tires. Schwalbe Ice Spikers which i need to install. once i do that i will update how that seems to work. dropper seat is a must have once you have it. tim

Back