Winter is coming: how do I protect the battery?

2wheelsgood

Region
United Kingdom
Recently got my first e-bike, a Specialized Vado SL and I am very happy with it, currently stored in a converted brick coal shed that is the perfect size to store 2 bikes.

I understand it is important to keep the battery above zero degrees in winter and I am planning ahead how to achieve this. I have a basic wooden shed that has power to it that I can move the bike into when the weather starts to get cold but I doubt that the wood and single glazed windows will be enough on their own. so what is the best and cheapest solution? keeping the shed fully heated would be prohibitively expensive so I need something that just keeps things about 1 or 2 degrees and thats it.

- a thermostat controlled heated blanket or heat mat?
- bike cover
- a tubular heater?

I would love to hear what others do.

Before anyone suggests it, moving the bike into the main building is just not going to get past the wife :rolleyes:

• Will you ride the Vado SL in the cold season? If not, it is doable to remove the main battery from the e-bike.
  • If you will: what is the chance you'd get subzero temperatures during the winter in the UK?

Thermostat-Controlled Heated Blanket or Heat Mat: This can be a cost-effective way to keep the battery at a stable temperature. You can place the blanket or mat around the battery or bike to provide consistent warmth. Make sure it has a thermostat to avoid overheating and to maintain that crucial 1-2°C.
Bike Cover: While a bike cover alone might not provide sufficient warmth, it can be combined with other methods to help insulate the bike from the cold. It’s a good supplementary measure, especially if you’re using other heating solutions. Also I would recommend charging the battery from time to time and twist the handlebar and rotating rear wheel.

No way I could store my ebikes inside the house; unless, I had a basement, personal home office, or man-cave. Probably a pain in the bottom to remove daily; but, I would store the battery pack inside the house if overnight temps get near/below zero most nights. It would be a few extra steps to place ebike on attach bike tire wall hook, slide out the battery pack, store/charge inside at room temperature (hidden away from spouse), and reverse the steps before a ride.

• Will you ride the Vado SL in the cold season? If not, it is doable to remove the main battery from the e-bike.
  • If you will: what is the chance you'd get subzero temperatures during the winter in the UK?
I ride my bike at least once a day, sometimes two or three as it is my primary mode of transport - this will continue over winter.

Sub zero temperatures are quite a regular thing in the UK from Dec - March.

Same here, also my primary transport. Can't see battery removal possible as it's quite a complicated procedure!
Yes, it requires dropping the motor. Could be done if the battery could be just stored at home for the whole winter.

I think an electric heating mat set to a low level could do.

If it were me, I'd just wrap the battery tube with a heating mat.

If the entire e-bike keeps warming up then freezing again, the snow melts then freezes to the ebike.

Heating just the battery would cost less than heating the whole shed too.

This is from BigBattery.com:
"Lithium batteries are not likely to suffer any noticeable damage unless you store them at consistently extreme temperatures such as under 20 degrees or over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Nevertheless, keeping them at a comfortable temperature is ideal for battery longevity. Being stored outside the optimal temperature range for long periods may cause them to self-discharge faster and require more maintenance while in storage."

I've kept the battery in my Oslo outside under cover year-round for three years. No problems so far. 20 degrees Fahrenheit, maybe a bit lower, is the winter lows where I live.

You're not supposed to charge a lithium battery that is below freezing.

That can wreck the battery and can be dangerous.

This battery isn't being stored for the winter.

A warm battery has more capacity too.
Keeping it warm with an insulated cover when you ride in the cold can help increase your range and power.
Your battery will be happier too.
They get sluggish when they're cold.

I’d bring it inside. If you’re worried about a fire hazard store it in some kind of fire box.

Coincidencidentally, I just bought a waterproof heating pad to make yogurt,..

20240915_193318.jpg
20240915_193148.jpg

It would work great as a battery warmer.

It came with a thermostat that the heating pad plugs into, but I didn't use it.

It's a 20 Watt heater pad that I have plugged directly into the outlet.

It can only overheat if I have the pad completely insulated where the heat can't escape.

I just adjust the towel around the pad and milk to keep the milk around 100° F

Waterproof heating pads are available in different sizes and Wattages.

I prefer to run the pad without the thermostat/timer because they have been known to fail.

Screenshot_20240915-194749_Amazon Shopping.jpg

0-2 degrees Centigrade is just above freezing. The cells inside the battery are rated for individual storage down to -20C, so the battery should be fine, Just don't charge a battery when the internals are under 10C.

In the OP's case, it's condensation during storage that is bad. I kept a battery outside in a damp storage area in above freezing weather, and it corroded.

Back