Graduating from 500w to 1000w

FrankRuss

Region
USA
So, if you rode a 500w motor - and your next bike was say, 1000w, do you feel a significant difference in power?
Does that also mean you drain the battery faster?

Not in the upgrade zone, just wondering - because as the years pass, the specs get better, and I'd be curious to feel the difference between 500w and 1000w.
I imagine it is significantly perceivable on inclines.

A few more local companies are Renting, and I may splurge on renting a 1000w if available - to just feel the difference.

I have a 750w/80Nm rear hub cadence sensor Radrover and a 1000w/160Nm mid-drive tq sensor Himiway Cobra Pro. I'm usually around PAS 2/3 in my Radrover and PAS 1/2 for my Cobra Pro for the same riding conditions. The 2X of tq + tq sensor help me keep the PAS level lower on the Himiway at my normal flat terrain cruising speeds of 16-20 mph. The extra power with higher PAS levels really comes into play at maintaining higher speeds longer, hills, or extremely windy conditions.

It doesn't seem my mid-drive is working that hard and battery life is longer compared to my lower wattage rear hub in the same riding conditions.

All "500w" means is that this is the maximum CONTINUOUS power rating (so the motor won't overheat) but all motors can output far more for a couple of minutes. Just multiply the battery voltage by the peak controller current to get the maximum output..

So if your previous bike could output 800w peak (about 1hp) and the new bike can do 1,200w, then yes, the new bike will feel significantly stronger.

All "500w" means is that this is the maximum CONTINUOUS power rating (so the motor won't overheat) but all motors can output far more for a couple of minutes. Just multiply the battery voltage by the peak controller current to get the maximum output..

So if your previous bike could output 800w peak (about 1hp) and the new bike can do 1,200w, then yes, the new bike will feel significantly stronger.

Just re-reading. 1 hp = about 800w?

Electrical horsepower to watts is 746 according to Thomas Glover.
I have worn out a 1300 w ebikeling hub motor and am now riding a 1000 w Mac12t motor. Both are geared hubs. Those were totally adequate for carrying 330 lb gross up 77 hills up to 12%. I used the 1300 w ebikeling motor on three 15% grades of 100' before I found a safer route to my summer camp.
OTOH a 350 w bafang geared hub motor was wimpy and useless at 10% grade or above. That was with series resistors to hold voltage to 10 less than the 48 v battery. Still 330 lb gross load. I removed the resistors (48 v instead of 36) which made it perform but burnt the winding on the second trip.

Back