Adding a 1000w Front Hub motor to a 500w ecotric ebike.

EcoRocketFirstEbike

Region
USA
I just purchased an Ecotric Rocket, its only 500w rear hub, 36v battery. Would it be possible to hook a 1000w hub motor to the front, and run it off a second battery? Im sure its possible but will i need a new controller? And could it be hooked up to the pre existing throttle, or would i need to rewire it seperatly to a different throttle? Looking to upgrade this ecotric if possible, its just not fast enough. I can hit 25mph with a full charge, but im tryna get atleast 30mph to commute faster.

Prolly easier to just build a 1000w e bike from scratch right?

Yes it is possible. One way to do it is to purchase this dual controller. Single PAS and throttle input. Dual motor outputs. Needs a new KT display. Wow, Look how big it is. Every year, as winter sets in, I daydream about buying it.

I've done this before on a 26" fat tire bike. Old fashioned. Two controllers. Two batteries. Two throttles. I used only throttle to run the front wheel. I found it rideable on dry ground, but a bit unwieldy. Basically use PAS for the rear and throttle for the front, but the traction in snow flipped me over a few times. I did one long ride like Howard Hughes did for the Spruce Goose. Then I came home soaking wet from all the falling down, took it apart when summer came and went one motor again. The front, by the way, was only a 36V 500W motor that came off a rear wheel bike and had the 135mm axle spacing used on a fat tire bike. All I wanted was traction,

devast.jpg

A few years later, I decided to try it again, only with my Ecotric 20" fat tire bike and only for dry pavement. I had a hard time finding 20"x60 rims. I wound up with yellow ones, 20x100'. Huge. I spoked up new motors for both. Here they are ready to go, using the original solid fork. Disaster came next. The new rear wheel axle was too wide for the Ecotric. I guess I could have just done the front drive, but my heart was no longer in it because of different wheel colors.

P3131774.JPG

I would have used two controllers, but one throttle and only one display. The front controller could run w/o a display, but turn on with the rear. The front and rear controllers would have separate batteries and a common ground. I was going to put a Y connector off the throttle and run only the signal and ground to the front controller. Tested on bench, it worked. I had the option of a second PAS sensor frunning to the front controller too.

I would have used only a 17A controller in front. They're small. My Ecotric 20" is 36V. I had plenty of small 36V packs that would fit somewhere on the bike.

Other Ecotric owners report putting different fat tire motors into the 20" frame. I think mine must have been squashed somehow. It should be 175mm wide back there, but is only 175mm. I'm loath to spread an alloy frame that much,.

Ha. Still have all three motors in the garage.

Last edited:
I did 2wd once with rear 350 watt motor and front 350 watt "I mortor" worked pretty good, sold it to friend who claimed it was too heavt for him to load in bike rack so he took off "I Mortor" A lot of people hate those things, believe me they have their place the current "I mortor V2.0) has more included battery power than some new ebikes and its a good way to put that old cruiser back on the road, easy too.

I put a 2000w front hub motor on my 2000w rear hub motor 20" folder last year. It's incredibly fun and turned a casual 1000w cruiser into a wicked warm weather work commuter.

If you're thinking of adding a front motor you should go for it because it really wakes up these little guys :cool:

I have the Ecotric Fat 26". I have considered this mod and frame change, since the L frame is a too big . I think I could be happy for quite some time with a 2wd fattie :) Micah does a great job with his eBike and battery videos.

Why not just send your bike back to Ecotric and get the 1000 watt model? Mine is the Ecotric Seagull and it has 1000 watts and does 28 mph. I weight 230. Climbs hills great, with assist, and gets me 40 miles per charge.

Why not just send your bike back to Ecotric and get the 1000 watt model? Mine is the Ecotric Seagull and it has 1000 watts and does 28 mph. I weight 230. Climbs hills great, with assist, and gets me 40 miles per charge.
Actually a bargain IMHO, I believe the real turnoff on the "Seagull" is the styling, OTH the "styling" fits some to a "Tee"( rather nontraditional) on the whole I have been very satisfied with "Ecotric" products.

What's wrong with the styling? I did modify it some. Raised sweeping double handlebars, big seat with added suspension, Schwalbe tires, and lights for night riding. I love my Seagull and it gets alot of love from others.

Attachments

• MY BIKE 2.jpg
    MY BIKE 2.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 187
It looks like you are riding a rectangular alloy tube, BTW I was not dissing the bike, some get offended over the least little thing, sigh, that competitive Dragon is rearing its ugly head again. take this from this discussion" Words are only words! No one was putting your bike down, if you really want to see goofy styling look at some of 20" folders( had 3 so I know what I am talking about.)

Not to worry. I know what a bad-ass ride I put together. It's faster than I need to go and looks good getting there. Very little upkeep with a solid, smooth, quiet ride. I turn on the mp3 and cruise right along. 1000 watts of fun. I can tackle any steep city street and we have many here. Great bang for the buck and a "style" that people like. Until now, a "turnoff" to none. To each his own.

Back