Converting Superdelite Mountain to Superdelite - Tire Recommendations?

Nickb

Region
USA
I have (and love) my 2023 Superdelite Mountain. It is ridden exclusively on the streets of Los Angeles and the beach boardwalk which is cement and some sand. Typically an hour daily though sometimes longer. I swapped out the stem and handlebar to the non-mountain Superdelite parts and that helped quite a bit for comfort - I had a chronic inner left elbow pain which went away immediately (and had the same pain on my other E-Bike). Also added comfort grips. What a difference!

Planning on switching the tires from 2.8 to 2.6 width to fit fenders and also to switch to a more road oriented tire.

There are two tires that RM shows on their site for the regular Superdelite. Wondering if one is better than the other? Or if there is another tire that would be best? The two listed are: Schwalbe Super Moto-X 62-584 Reflex and Schwalbe Johnny Watts 60-584.

I’m also open to keeping my Nobby Nic tires and not installing fenders.

Last edited:
Also wonder if anyone has opinions on 2.35 vs 2.6 wide tires? Seems that 2.35 are the ones that come with the Superdelite but it can work with fenders up to 2.6 from my research. Any reasons to go 2.35? And I’m assuming Greenguard version over the Raceguard version of the Johnny Watts If I go with that tire?

Also wonder if anyone has opinions on 2.35 vs 2.6 wide tires? Seems that 2.35 are the ones that come with the Superdelite but it can work with fenders up to 2.6 from my research. Any reasons to go 2.35? And I’m assuming Greenguard version over the Raceguard version of the Johnny Watts If I go with that tire?
The 60-584 (27x2.35") tyre will have less rolling resistance (and less weight), and I would recommend it for your purposes. I do not think you are riding real trails so why use a really wide tyre?

Now, I would say the Raceguard version would be better for you. That is a folding tyre, which is a way easier to put on and off the rim!

I have 2.35 JWs on my Haibike and really like them. The bike came with Super Moto X which sound like they would also fit your needs well.

As far as 2.35 vs 2.6, probably not a huge difference but the bigger tires will probably be slightly more comfortable and can run at lower PSI if that's your thing but comes at the cost of extra weight. Either one is still too skinny to be great in soft sand.

Personally I would go with the Raceguard version - slightly better rolling resistance and a little lighter with about the same amount of puncture protection. Also it is a folding tire while the Greenguard version is wired. I find wired tires much harder to get on and off the rim but ymmv.

Oh, and JW is not officially tubeless rated though I believe some people do run tubeless with them.

Edit: ninja'd by @Stefan Mikes

It is ridden exclusively on the streets of Los Angeles and the beach boardwalk which is cement and some sand.

Another option, especially if you are puncture-adverse, is one of the Schwalbe Marathon tyres. I have toured extensively on bitumen and gravel roads with Marathon Plus Tour (it might be overkill for you, but) and found they handled the different road surfaces with aplomb.

My Supercharger GT 2 is coming with Johnny Watts, so I will give them a go in similar riding conditions, but if they do not cut it, I will go back to the Marathons, most likely a Marathon Plus MTB.

Last edited:
Another option, especially if you are puncture-adverse, is one of the Schwalbe Marathon tyres. I have toured extensively on bitumen and gravel roads with Marathon Plus Tour (it might be overkill for you, but) and found they handled the different road surfaces with aplomb.

My Supercharger GT 2 is coming with Johnny Watts, so I will give them a go in similar riding conditions, but if they do not cut it, I will go back to the Marathons, most likely a Marathon Plus MTB.
My experience with Marathons of any kind is they are overly heavy, slow rolling, and stiff (as opposite to supple). It is a pain to remove them from the rims and pull them on the rims.

The only exception I'm making is the Marathon Winter Plus for ice/snow riding. However, had I the size of the wheels found in the Superdelite, I'd rather choose Ice Spiker Pros. (Not that it is what Nick needs!) :)

My experience with Marathons of any kind is they are overly heavy, slow rolling, and stiff (as opposite to supple). It is a pain to remove them from the rims and pull them on the rims.
Each to their own ... having down 5,000 km or more of outback touring on them, they tick the boxes for me.

Also, I have only had to repair one puncture in that time ... had no issues with the tyre doing the repair.

Last edited:
Back