Alternative tyres for Superdelite - optimised for puncture resistance

I really wish our saviour Chris Nolte would make a Propel video showing rear wheel removal on an R&M full sus bike.
Especially if the video relates to a puncture that occurred far away from a convenient workstand! 😈

I've taken the back wheel off my superdelite twice - HERE‘S THE PICTORIAL GUIDE

1. Disconnect the Rohloff electric gear cable
  2. Deflate the tyre
  3. Remove the wheel axel and belt retainer
  4. Drop the tyre an inch out of the axel
  5. Move the tyre up and forward do allow enough slack to remove the belt - it may need some strength to dislodge the belt
  6. Take the tyre entirely out
I've never needed to remove the tensioner - if that's the sprung lever thing near the pedals?

When refitting the tyre, ensure the spring hasn't fallen off the tensioner.

In the field I managed to turn my bike upside down. It should be possible to change the tyre that way, but I've never tried, as someone offered to help, so I wheeled my flat bike around the corner and we just helped up the bike while another chap removed the tyre.

Last edited:
UPDATE.

I changed my Moto-X to Schwalbe Hurricane E25 (ETRO 62-584)

I can report that they run really well on roads and gravel. Of course, they are a compromise - more rolling resistance for more grip off-road. . I think the Hurricanes are my new permanent tyre for my rides such as the Coast & Castles, C2C, Hadrian’s wall etc. They have marginally less puncture protection than the Moto-X, but almost the maximum with DD and Raceguard.
Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 10.19.22.png

5D63C274-5C23-499D-ADE8-35C0DC1FA06A.jpeg
8B0C8F02-73FB-45EF-8142-3486A6F519A2.jpeg

F691A22F-FC1D-47F2-86FA-B811C7DAB142.jpeg

Last edited:
The Hurricane does not have more puncture protection than the Super Moto-X: 5.5/6 vs 6/6 rating. It also has less durability by a whole point. The only spec that is better is off-road grip by 0.5 point.

Nevertheless, I think they’re worthwhile if your rides include some off road.

The Hurricane does not have more puncture protection than the Super Moto-X: 5.5/6 vs 6/6 rating. It also has less durability by a whole point. The only spec that is better is off-road grip by 0.5 point.

And just to confuse that the Marathon Plus MTB's have a puncture protection rating of 7 :)
I'd be even happier if they came in 62-65mm widths.

Thanks - I mixed these tyres up with Marathons when doing my research. I've amended my post.

Six weeks into the Tannus liners on my Superdelite and I have had my first rear wheel puncture. I went into the barn and found it flat, so flat that the tyre had buckled. I hoisted the bike up and pulled the tube out whilst leaving the wheel in place but I could not find the puncture. I used a bucket of water to find a tiny pin prick but nothing left in the liner or tyre. It seems just a small thorn pierced the tyre, Tannus and tube. My confidence in the Tannus alone is now shattered and I will fit a Mr Tuffy tyre liner between the tyre and the Tannus.

Ouch! They are not impervious then.

6 months in and my wife’s and my Rock Razor’s with Tannus Armour remain un-punctured so here was me thinking they were indistructable.

My take on the situation…
  • Tannus Armour acts as a thick, but soft, spacer,
  • Mr Tuffy acts as thinner but less-yielding spacer,
  • Panaracer Flataway acts as a very thin but almost impenetrable barrier.
My choice: Marathon Plus + Panaracer Flataway + Tannus Armour + tube sealant.

I think I’m going to replace my tyres with solid steel. It will be the hardest ride in the world, but I’ll never get a puncture.

One of the things that surprised me about the Tannus was that it seemed to have no protective layer and really worked by moving the tube several millimetres away from the thorn entering the tyre and making the thorn work harder to ruin your ride. I use Mr Tuffy on my other bike after I resisted for years due to the name. My wife would just say Mr Tuffy as I would come home and report the number of punctures that day. I finally relented and have never had anything even scratch it. It is a couple of millimetres thick and an incredibly hard plastic, much harder than a car tyre. I have never had anything puncture it but it once did deflect a really long blackthorn sideways to where it eventually violated my inner tube (my sanctum inflatum). It is going to be fun cramming all this into the tyre and remounting it.

By the way, Squaxor, solid steel is simply no match for the thorns in Buckinghamshire. I tried them but the solid wheels were noisy, had poor grip and the thorns went straight in as if it was Brie.

i have the same make of tyres , previously had slime in, that failed , bought some Tannus armour inserts, smaller inner tubes and some talc powder to fit, absolutely brilliant , even stopped a small nail , as for the difference in rolling, weight etc , no problem

We've installed these on a few bikes including a Superdelite and a Load60 and the owners loved them - surprisingly easier to install than I'd expected too!

Squaxor, I am using the following on my Homage…
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB 57-584
  • Panarace Flataway Kevlar liner (40 mm) glued to inside of tyre
  • Tannus Armour
  • Schwalbe tube filled with sealant
… David
I’ve had a Superdelite for a little over a year and haven’t changed the SuperMotoX tires that came on the bike. In 7,000 mile of riding on paved greenways and local city streets, I’ve had 2 flats, both caused by what appeared to be the sharp end of a thumbtack and an ordinary staple. The staple crippled my SuperMotoX about 1 mile from my house and the thumbtack caused the tire to flat while sitting overnight in my garage. I’m planning to install Tannus Armour and some sort of sealant filled tubes, as I’m nervous about venturing very far from home in the event of another flat. On the first occasion I pushed the bike home, destroying the sidewall of the tire in the process. I really appreciate all the posts here in helping me determine the best route to follow to allow for confidence in riding far from home. My question is: If, even after Kevlar liners, Tannus Armour, and sealant filled tubes, what does one do if you have a flat many miles from your home?

I’ve had a Superdelite for a little over a year and haven’t changed the SuperMotoX tires that came on the bike. In 7,000 mile of riding on paved greenways and local city streets, I’ve had 2 flats, both caused by what appeared to be the sharp end of a thumbtack and an ordinary staple. The staple crippled my SuperMotoX about 1 mile from my house and the thumbtack caused the tire to flat while sitting overnight in my garage. I’m planning to install Tannus Armour and some sort of sealant filled tubes, as I’m nervous about venturing very far from home in the event of another flat. On the first occasion I pushed the bike home, destroying the sidewall of the tire in the process. I really appreciate all the posts here in helping me determine the best route to follow to allow for confidence in riding far from home. My question is: If, even after Kevlar liners, Tannus Armour, and sealant filled tubes, what does one do if you have a flat many miles from your home?
I carry a tube, patch kit and pump. got me home just a week or so when the remains of a pierced earring took the tire down...this was on the front, I set the the bike over on its side using the pedal, handlebar end and rear rack as the three point support, removed the front wheel and installed the new tube. My skills being what they are, I punctured the new tube installing. I removed the new tube, located the puncture in the old one, patched it, reinstalled (much more carefully ) and rode about 20 miles home.....Im thinking of accruing two tubes....

@John Fuller If you get a flat with that lot, it will be terribly bad luck. I have Tannus installed (highly recommended just for the lower tyre pressure and comfort) and have yet to have a flat. When I do, my back up is to call my wife, or if she is with me, waiting sn hour or 2 for her to ride home, grab the car and pick me up. It will be a pain, but in the scheme of things s minor pain, in my mind not worth worrying about.

I like your belt and suspenders. approach with 4 layers of protection! ;)
What is the actual width and thickness of the Panaracer Flataway barrier?

Back