Alternative tyres for Superdelite - optimised for puncture resistance

[...]and have yet to have a flat. When I do, my back up is to call my wife, or if she is with me, waiting sn hour or 2 for her to ride home, grab the car and pick me up. It will be a pain, but in the scheme of things s minor pain, in my mind not worth worrying about.
I like that scheme! As for riding in civilised area (that is, my larger neighbourhood), my backup is called "Mr Andrzej The Taxi Driver" :) The point however, is, how to come out from a flat while riding in the wilderness. Well. 2020 meant two flats for me. One was related to "unbreakable" Marathon E-Plus but the sealant inside the inner tube did its work. The other happened to my tubeless Maxxis off-road tyre in complete wilderness. Again, the sealant worked.

(We hardly experience any thorns in Poland except those from acacia, and even that is rare).

I would like to add some sealant to my tubes after reading of all the flats here. I ride exclusively on pavement and haven't had a flat yet after 2200 miles so I figure I'm probably due ;) I hear a lot about Slime but is there a better sealant you guys might suggest that is available in the US?

Marc

I would like to add some sealant to my tubes after reading of all the flats here. I ride exclusively on pavement and haven't had a flat yet after 2200 miles so I figure I'm probably due ;) I hear a lot about Slime but is there a better sealant you guys might suggest that is available in the US?

Marc
I don't use a tire sealant, relying on tire liners/thorn strips to reduce flats instead. However my avid MTBing sons do use sealant in their tubeless tires. They've used Stan's products for some years now. Probably worth a look.

BTW - No product will eliminate flats in a tubed tire. I find that the liners reduce flats to maybe 1 every other year or so between our 4 bikes. The liners require no maintenance, other than an occasional tire inspection to check for sharp objects that might still be embedded in the tire. YRMV.

I just thought of another potential problem. I have FOBO 2 tire pressure monitors installed as well and I'm wondering what effect the Slime might have on the sensors. I sent an email to FOBO asking. BTW, the FOBO 2 monitor works perfect for me. It monitors tire pressure 24/7 even when the bike is parked in the garage. Their accuracy is amazing!

Marc

I would like to add some sealant to my tubes after reading of all the flats here. I ride exclusively on pavement and haven't had a flat yet after 2200 miles so I figure I'm probably due ;)
I hear a lot about Slime but is there a better sealant you guys might suggest that is available in the US?

Marc
I use Slime in all my bike tubes and run Schwalbe tires for additional protection.
Check your tubes to make sure they have removable valve cores to add sealant.

Sorry if this is an old thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a particular glue, for gluing in the Panarace Kevlar liners, they sound like a good idea? I have a new Homage Rohloff and have had a puncture in the first 100 miles (not a pleasant experience). The new Johnny Watts tyres ride well on the local trails here in Lancashire, but the LBS inserted thin clear plastic liners were loose inside the tyre and actually sliced the tubes with a 3 inch gash! I have wondered about the 57-584 Marathon Plus MTB, but feared they may spoil the ride with much less air inside them, even before fitting Tannus Armour. It’s a real quandary this tyre job, Schwalbe don’t recommend 2.25 (57mm) tyres on 35c rims, has anyone tried a 2.60 tyre on their Homage, which might compensate for the loss of air when you insert the Tannus etc?

FWIW, I installed Tannus Armour inside the Super MotoX tires a while ago. Last night I rode over a heavy duty paper clip with one end bent up. It punctured the tire and got imbedded in the Tannus insert. I initially thought the Rohloff broke as each wheel revolution make a loud click. It was the Paper clip hitting the fender.

What I cannot figure out is the paper clip was at least one inch into the tire which is longer than the thickness of the Tannus insert. The tube did not get punctured. Some people have had no luck with Tannus and flatted out but it worked last night with the rear tire. That paper clip would have been a sure flat without the Tannus insert.

Nice report Alanzo. This gives me some confidence I made the right call when I asked my LBS to install Tannus on my new Load 75. Will get it in a few weeks here hopefully.

Last edited:
Nice report Alanzo. This gives me some confidence I made the right call when I asked my LBS to install Tannus on my new Load 75. Will get it in a few weeks here hopefully.
After watching the excellent Youtube video of removing and replacing the tyre on my Superdelite I no longer have the same enmity for the design. I took mine off and put it back on again with no difficulty and in fact the way he did it with the bike inverted seemed even easier than me with the bike on the winch.

Having said that, I had already bought Mr Tuffy Strips so I put new Schwalbe tubes in, my Tannus and finally the Tuffy Strips. Thorns were just going straight through my Tannus. Now the insanely strong Tuffy strips stops anything coming straight through and the tanks will hopefully protect the sides and the tubes from the Tuffy Strips (but I use them on my other bike without Tannus and the ends are smooth when they are delivered so have never had any damage to tubes. I am aware of many people cutting the liners and then slicing the tubes, as in the earlier post.) Even with all that going on in the tyre I cannot say I notice any difference on the road.

By the way, another huge breakthrough was changing the way I fitted and removed the tyres. I was so frustrated last month that I bought every device to help, all sorts of tyre jacks and levers. I am now using Park Tools 4.2 tyre levers (I also have the 6.2 but I have not tried them yet) and the strangely named Crank Bros Unisex Speedier Tye Lever. Speedier Tyre Lever Tyres pop back on in a flash.

After watching the excellent Youtube video of removing and replacing the tyre on my Superdelite I no longer have the same enmity for the design. I took mine off and put it back on again with no difficulty and in fact the way he did it with the bike inverted seemed even easier than me with the bike on the winch.

Having said that, I had already bought Mr Tuffy Strips so I put new Schwalbe tubes in, my Tannus and finally the Tuffy Strips. Thorns were just going straight through my Tannus. Now the insanely strong Tuffy strips stops anything coming straight through and the tanks will hopefully protect the sides and the tubes from the Tuffy Strips (but I use them on my other bike without Tannus and the ends are smooth when they are delivered so have never had any damage to tubes. I am aware of many people cutting the liners and then slicing the tubes, as in the earlier post.) Even with all that going on in the tyre I cannot say I notice any difference on the road.

By the way, another huge breakthrough was changing the way I fitted and removed the tyres. I was so frustrated last month that I bought every device to help, all sorts of tyre jacks and levers. I am now using Park Tools 4.2 tyre levers (I also have the 6.2 but I have not tried them yet) and the strangely named Crank Bros Unisex Speedier Tye Lever. Speedier Tyre Lever Tyres pop back on in a flash.
Speedier tire lever is the bomb. Never leave home without it!

Do you have a link to the specific video you referred to?
TIA

Sorry if this is an old thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a particular glue, for gluing in the Panarace Kevlar liners, they sound like a good idea? I have a new Homage Rohloff and have had a puncture in the first 100 miles (not a pleasant experience). The new Johnny Watts tyres ride well on the local trails here in Lancashire, but the LBS inserted thin clear plastic liners were loose inside the tyre and actually sliced the tubes with a 3 inch gash! I have wondered about the 57-584 Marathon Plus MTB, but feared they may spoil the ride with much less air inside them, even before fitting Tannus Armour. It’s a real quandary this tyre job, Schwalbe don’t recommend 2.25 (57mm) tyres on 35c rims, has anyone tried a 2.60 tyre on their Homage, which might compensate for the loss of air when you insert the Tannus etc?
I have the Panarace and they came with self adhesive tape already on the liner. Peel it back and stick the liner on.

Based on this thread’s recommendation I got a Speedier lever. Today I use it to replace my tires and install Tannus. Wow, so much better then any other tire tool. Best ~$15 spent!

I ordered the Crank brothers levers, a pair of Tannus armour inserts and matching Panarace self-adhesive Kevlar liners. All installed on my Homage, with original Johnny Watts 2.35 tyres, was quite challenging to fit, technique being most important, followed closely by the right tyre levers for getting the tyres fully onto the rim. Thanks to all here for their help

Back