Alternative tyres for Superdelite - optimised for puncture resistance

Squaxor

After just a few days of cycling on my new Superdelite GT Rohloff HS (Schwalbe Moto-X tyres 62-584), I had two punctures riding on a cycle lane. Glass was the culprit. These tyres have a 7/8 protection rating, so I found it surprising that they are so easily penetrated.

Removing the back tyre on the road is impossible for me alone. Therefore I decided to find a tyre and inner tube combo that would reduce the chance of punctures. Fullycharged in London recommended the Marathon e-plus (50-584) with the Schwalbe Air Plus tubes (27.5" 2.1" - 2.8").

The downside is that the reduced tyre diameter lowered the bike and, therefore, I find my pedals are striking the ground more often. The bike also looks weird with thinner tyres.

I'd be grateful if anyone could recommend a better setup for my riding. I am mainly on tarmac, but also ride on gravel. I recently did a 500 km coast to coast ride that took me on all types of surfaces. I'm reticent to go with Rock Razors because they have far less grip on tarmac roads.

IMG_4073.jpegIMG_4074.jpeg7CBA62D6-51FD-4B59-81F3-E32539F92974-1195-000002599615944E.jpeg043D0DAE-6213-4557-A190-EA27FB6C4AC1-3514-000004A61A638C31.jpeg7503F761-1CF8-4A7B-AC97-E3C32F4169D0-7270-0000095FE350C38E.jpeg153239EC-C08E-4B21-AFD1-119FEFE81352-2378-000003A9880580E7.jpeg

Squaxor, I am using the following on my Homage…
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB 57-584
  • Panarace Flataway Kevlar liner (40 mm) glued to inside of tyre
  • Tannus Armour
  • Schwalbe tube filled with sealant
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Touch wood...our less than puncture proof Rock Razors have survived 8 months of mostly gravel/off road riding without a single puncture x two bikes. Either good luck or The Tannus Armour actually works as advertised.

Squaxor, I am using the following on my Homage…
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB 57-584
  • Panarace Flataway Kevlar liner (40 mm) glued to inside of tyre
  • Tannus Armour
  • Schwalbe tube filled with sealant
… David

David I think that falls in to the category of belt plus suspenders plus velcro.....😎 but I gather you ride some pretty rugged trails so it also falls into the smart category.

I was too eager to start riding my new ebike so I got 3 flats in the first few months. I finally got with the program and installed thorn strips/tire liners as I've done with all my bikes. No flats for the last 1,000 miles, and counting! I use THESE, in widths appropriate for our various bikes.

I've gone tubeless on all my bikes (including my superdelite). I ride about 5k/miles a year and in the last 3 years I've had one flat (at 3/8inch nail in the sidewall). The current sealant technology is pretty amazing. You have to pay attention to your tire pressure (pump once or twice a week), but no road side flats.

Reactions: MMC
It is a concern. Squaxor, your bike does look strange with the smaller tyres. I only ride roads and paths. I really hope I do not get a puncture as I would have no way of fixing it as you say, getting the wheels off on your own would be impossible.

I've heard a lot of positive reviews about Tannus and other such tube-guards. I wonder why there a so few tyres fitted with similar protection? (Schwalbe marathons etc)

@Squaxor Just the ones thar came with the bike. My wife swopped her Moto-X for aftermarket Rock Razors Soft (orange stripe) compound. I have been puncture free riding on my RR with Tannus for 8 mths, and Susie’s for 5 months - also with Tannus.

@Jay Kay I'm leaning towards getting some RRs, maybe for the rides I know will have some off-road riding. What size inner tube do you use? I believe that you need a smaller tube as the Tannus takes up a lot of space.

@Squaxor Not that I am aware of. We took our bikes in for a service at our LBS and the Tannus was installed then. I don't think they changed the inner tubes as far as I am aware. @David Berry or @Alaskan will likely have a better idea as they probably put them in themselves. Sorry I can't be more helpful on this one.

@Jay Kay I'm leaning towards getting some RRs, maybe for the rides I know will have some off-road riding. What size inner tube do you use? I believe that you need a smaller tube as the Tannus takes up a lot of space.
@Squaxor @Jay Kay Check out the Tannus UK website. It has a tyre size selector which gives you the Tannus size required and also the recommended tube size 👌

@Jay Kay There seems to be three versions of the rock razors. I've read the bumf, but I'm still confused which version is best for mixed-use. Which version would you recommend?

For faster ebikes I'd suggest going with tires that have the Euro ECE-R75 certification, often termed E50 rated for their 50kph speed rating. Here's a screen shot of part of the table Schwalbe publishes for their tires that meet this spec;

Screenshot_20200911-073020_Chrome.jpg

E50 tires are required in Europe for all "Speed ebikes" for their ability to handle the higher speeds and weights of these bikes.

Other major brands offer E50 rated tires as well.

There's even an E75 rating now!

I was doing 71 Km/hr down a hill in the lake district last week on my superMoto-X - cornered perfectly

Back