SoCal Commuter

Hi all,

I've been researching and test riding bikes to use for a 15 mi. flat commute and weekend excursions. I'm 6'2" 225 lbs. so prefer large frame and 27.5" or 28" tires + have bad knees. Bigger battery is better for longer range. Looking for upright riding position, throttle, cadence sensing pedal assist, suspension components for comfort. Budget $3,500.

Your thoughts (pros, cons) on these current top four choices would be super helpful - certainly open to other choices. These are the bikes I like so far.

Magnum Metro+ Plan to test ride soon. (Voyager+ coming for 2018 seems cool too). Coworker just got the Magnum cruiser and loves it. Good value, good power/torque, suspension fork, big frame. Dislikes: Black color only, would like battery upgrade, only 1 yr warranty.

Smartmotion Pacer: Likes - can choose cadence or torque sensing, integrated colored display, fancy led light strips, hydraulic brakes, good sized battery, battery upgrade and seatpost upgrade available, 2 yr comp. warranty, chain guard. Dislikes - No suspension fork (would get the seat post upgrade for comfort), weird grips.

Pedego City Commuter - has great local dealer network w/reliable support and service. Solid corporate backing (I guess that's what you're paying for), 2 yr warranty. But expensive for what else you get at $3k+, no hydraulic brakes, and would require upgrades such as body float seat post and better seat - (more $$) (factory suspension seatpost seems to twist when you peddle), and could use better tires too.

Juiced Cross Current S: Likes - good value, great looking, lots of options, suspension fork, huge battery upgrade available (52V / 21 Ah + GPS (adds $1,300)), hydraulic brakes, 12g rear spokes, cruise control, cadence+torque, great detailed info & specs on website which is needed since no dealers. Dislikes- must travel to San Diego to test ride, uncertain dealer support/service, only 1 yr warranty. Needs upgraded tires. Have to pre-order and possible long wait for delivery.

I'll update my findings as I get closer to purchase.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've been researching and test riding bikes to use for a 15 mi. flat commute and weekend excursions. I'm 6'2" 225 lbs. so prefer large frame and 27.5" or 28" tires + have bad knees. Bigger battery is better for longer range. Looking for upright riding position, throttle, cadence sensing pedal assist, suspension components for comfort.

Your thoughts (pros, cons) on these current top four choices would be super helpful - certainly open to other ideas. The list should provide a good flavor of the kind of bikes I like.

Magnum Metro+ (Voyager+ coming for 2018 seems cool too): Plan to test ride soon. Coworker just got the Magnum cruiser and loves it. Good value, good power/torque, suspension fork, big frame. Dislikes: Black color only, would like battery upgrade, only 1 yr warranty.

Smartmotion Pacer: Likes - can choose cadence or torque sensing, integrated colored display, fancy led light strips, hydraulic brakes, good sized battery, battery upgrade and seatpost upgrade available, 2 yr comp. warranty, chain guard. Dislikes - No suspension fork (would get the seat post upgrade for comfort), weird grips.

Pedego City Commuter - has great local dealer network w/reliable support and service. Solid corporate backing, 2 yr warranty. But expensive for what you get at $3k+, no hydraulic brakes, and would require upgrades such as body float seat post and better seat - (more $$) (factory seatpost twists when you peddle), and could use better tires too.

Juiced Cross Current S: Likes - good value, great looking, lots of options, suspension fork, huge battery upgrade available (52V / 21 Ah + GPS (adds $1,300)), hydraulic brakes, 12g rear spokes, cruise control, cadence+torque, great detailed info & specs on website which is needed since no dealers. Dislikes- would have to travel to San Diego to test ride, uncertain dealer support/service, 1 yr warranty. Needs upgraded tires. Have to pre-order and possible long wait for delivery.

Perhaps I can update my findings as I get closer to purchase.

Thoughts?

Add this to your list.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

This has a torque sensor but a would be a good choice for commuting. Has a throttle as well.

Pedego City Commuter Mid-drive or Interceptor could be an option as well.

If you can do your own maintenance... then Luna Roam: https://lunacycle.com/roam-fusion/

I would give Sduro Hardnine / trekking or Xduro cross a try. In my limited experience they are very well built bikes, roll nicely(29", 700cers roll better than 27.5 ones).
If you are a little handy and ok with ordering online right now the leftover 2017 and 2016 models can be found $1500-2000. Since you can ride the largest models you should be able to find a size that fits. (I am riding Cross 60cm and feels great, for Hardnine 50 should be good). They will come with 400wh batteries (if you want 500wh version you should go with never models which will be around 3K ). For 15mile you should be fine with 400wh batteries.

Today I made the trip to San Diego Ebike in Solana Beach for some test rides. These guys have a great assortment of bikes and friendly knowledgeable staff. If you are in that area I would absolutely pay them a visit! They were the closest shop that had the Magnum Metro+ that I could try. But first I rode the Smartmotion Pacer equipped with a body float seat post. This bike is solid, smooth, and fast. I tried both the cadance and torque settings, climbed some hills with ease and had a great time through the neighborhood. Next I tried the Metro+ and although I liked the more upright riding position, the skinny tires gave it a more squirrelly and unstable feel, which I did not care for as compared to the solid feel of the Pacer. Given this I tried the regular Magnum Metro which has wider tires, and it seemed more stable and smooth. It's riding position was quite upright too. But overall the Pacer wins out, and is worth the extra $$. I feel like I have made my decision. I would like to see what I can do in terms of raising the stem slightly if allowed by the length of the wires to be able to sit up a little more, but I think this bike will totally suit my needs. Two years of warranty and it is carried and serviced by many of the local dealers. Plus you can upgrade the battery to a 17.5 Ah for $200. I wish it had a suspension fork but the body float felt pretty good. Maybe would add that later if really needed. At a similar price to the pedego this bike feels like a much better value. Stay tuned

I'd give Biktrix a serious look. I'm real happy with mine and Roshan is very responsive to questions and help.

Add your own suspension fork later after you’ve put down some mileage. Most stock suspension forks are throw away units anyways and don’t really offer any substantial road dampening. If it’s a commuter with fenders, get a Rock Shox Paragon.

We sell a lot of Pacer's as it is a very well built and very fast eBike. Also take a look at the Elby, a do-it-all eBike that can be turned into a 28mp speed monster with a 90-range battery. You should also check out the Ohm Urban as well.

Today I made the trip to San Diego Ebike in Solana Beach for some test rides. These guys have a great assortment of bikes and friendly knowledgeable staff. If you are in that area I would absolutely pay them a visit! They were the closest shop that had the Magnum Metro+ that I could try. But first I rode the Smartmotion Pacer equipped with a body float seat post. This bike is solid, smooth, and fast. I tried both the cadance and torque settings, climbed some hills with ease and had a great time through the neighborhood. Next I tried the Metro+ and although I liked the more upright riding position, the skinny tires gave it a more squirrelly and unstable feel, which I did not care for as compared to the solid feel of the Pacer. Given this I tried the regular Magnum Metro which has wider tires, and it seemed more stable and smooth. It's riding position was quite upright too. But overall the Pacer wins out, and is worth the extra $$. I feel like I have made my decision. I would like to see what I can do in terms of raising the stem slightly if allowed by the length of the wires to be able to sit up a little more, but I think this bike will totally suit my needs. Two years of warranty and it is carried and serviced by many of the local dealers. Plus you can upgrade the battery to a 17.5 Ah for $200. I wish it had a suspension fork but the body float felt pretty good. Maybe would add that later if really needed. At a similar price to the pedego this bike feels like a much better value. Stay tuned
Forgot to say that we put a new handlebar on a Pacer for a woman who wanted to sit more upright. No problem with cables.

Back