After more than 60K kms on the best hub motor in the industry, I'm a mid motor convert!

Ken S

As the subject states, I'm now a convert. I never thought I would say this after almost 4 years of riding the best hub motor in the industry.

I'm just approaching 3 weeks and 1,000 kms on Ohm's new mid motor model based on Shimano STePS and I'm more than impressed.

I had tried mid motors in the past they were noisy and lacked a natural torque sense, -the Shimano based Legacy 5.0 I'm riding is so quiet and so natural, that at times I really think I'm 40 + years younger.
I thought I would miss the regeneration more than I do, - OK I do miss it a bit as an "engine brake" now and then when flying down the hills on route, but when I put the ride together on all terrains I travel, the lack of regen is not missed at all.

I'm on the ECO mode ~85% of the time so I've got power to burn and not having the drag of the permanent magnet motor, which I considered in the past to be minor, really does make a difference. More often now I turn the assist off (~10% of the time) when on the flat and or with the wind. The range is almost double what I had before. I did get the 630 Wh battery so do have ~ 1/3 more capacity to start with, but still I'm seeing increased range with the new wheels.

The electronic shifting, well it is a dream. It's so "sharp" and responsive, -I've had derailleurs since I was in my teens but this one is just, out of this world.

The bike build is exceptionally quality and well put together, geometry and bike balance is superb and components, top notch.

You can check the new line up out at:

Cheers

Guess I'll have to get a new photo with the new wheels on my profile. I'll wait for the rain to stop maybe...

Did you get the Quest? That's a nice looking bike. Glad to see Ohm innovating and expanding its lineup.

Congrats.! I am a big fan of the Shimano Steps mid-drive motors... they have great range and a very natural and intuitive riding feel.

Nice to see that they offer both a belt-drive model with the Shimano E7000 motor and a chain drive model with the E6100 motor.

1568774144203.png

Last edited:
I've got the Quest and just upgrading to the 6000 display (with bluetooth). The 8000 display (also with bluetooth for the Shimano apps) I had to test out is likely great for trails/mountain biking, but the 6000 has more data at a glance for the riding I do.

Really like no special wiring or torquing with off the shelf wheel now on the back. With easy removal of both wheels now, flat repairing on the go is 15 to 20 minutes tops, unless it's a small leak, will be so easy now that I don't worry about it any more.

The chain vs. belt (derailleur vs. hub gearing) is still an evolution. The former is still tried and true and I'm comfortable with the maintenance so I'm good with it for now. Will see how it evolves in the next few years as I get closer to 70 I'll likely stay with it till I'm 6' 4" under ground.

Cheers

After 3 weeks and more than 1,000 kms on the new Ohm mid motor based ebike, I'm blown away with the efficiency improvement with the Shimano STEPs system in the range of 25-30% over the Bionx D-500 based hub motor At an average of over 22 kms/hour on my hilly commute I'm getting over 125 km range. My charging is down by 50%, and my battery anxiety is a thing of the past. I'd read in the past that the mid motor design was more efficient, but really wasn't expecting this.

This just adds to my "conversion" to mid motor (Shimano).

I've never needed the boost (3rd setting) with the trail (2nd setting) taking me up hills with minimal effort, and that's with the custom mid setting for trail, which I might just drop to low. On flat terrain I'm often turning assist off and cruising at a good 25-27 kms/hour or more depending on the wind due to virtually zero rolling resistance with the mid motor, unlike the hub motor where you have a drag that I never considered.

The ride is better than I thought possible, quiet, smooth, with natural assist, they really nailed the torque sensing. The handling and balance of the bike is better too with the weight better distributed. The electronic shifting well it is a dream, it's so smooth and sharp.

Definitely worth the upgrade.

After 3 weeks and more than 1,000 kms on the new Ohm mid motor based ebike, I'm blown away with the efficiency improvement with the Shimano STEPs system in the range of 25-30% over the Bionx D-500 based hub motor At an average of over 22 kms/hour on my hilly commute I'm getting over 125 km range. My charging is down by 50%, and my battery anxiety is a thing of the past. I'd read in the past that the mid motor design was more efficient, but really wasn't expecting this. This just adds to my "conversion" to mid motor (Shimano).

I've never needed the boost (3rd setting) with the trail (2nd setting) taking me up hills with minimal effort, and that's with the custom mid setting for trail, which I might just drop to low. On flat terrain I'm often turning assist off and cruising at a good 25-27 kms/hour or more depending on the wind due to virtually zero rolling resistance with the mid motor, unlike the hub motor where you have a drag that I never considered.

The ride is better than I thought possible, quiet, smooth, with natural assist, they really nailed the torque sensing. The handling and balance of the bike is better too with the weight better distributed. The electronic shifting well it is a dream, it's so smooth and sharp. Definitely worth the upgrade.

Here is a summary chart of the various Ohm models and mid-drive motors along with the corresponding Range maximum in Eco mode... 170km/105mi ;)

1569630875120.png

Last edited:
I'm getting much better (less) wear than I expected on chain and brake pads. I thought, based on monitoring other long distance mid motor riders that I would have more wear than I'm getting. I'm still on the same set of pads, still some meat left (not metal pads) and only one chain so far after over 3,000 kms.

Another great surprise with this bike.

The D-500 Bionx/Ohm. They still service this sell and service the motor and hope to bring it back. It certainly took me "around the world".

Yes.
Well let me be clear, 28 mph =45 km/h. The limits on the STep based bikes for assist is 32 km/hr (20 mph) .
There are hacks for all bikes including the STep but I really wouldn't recommend it.

I've been "car doored" at 25 km/hr and that causes enough damage to both me and the bike, at 45 (28 mph) I would have been hospitalized rather than just soft tissue damage and a bent frame on the bike. If I was younger and and more life time to heal I would like hack my ride and boost the speed but at over 65 years and one hip replacement I'll stick to the 32 km/hr, that plenty for me.

;-)

Well, I really feel a bit safer riding with the additional speed capability if needed. ;)
The SpeedBox added to the Shimano Steps motor has helped me avoid a few incidents.

Last edited:
Weight is not something I would be concerned about and I haven't weighed mine.
More important is the where the weight is. With the mid motor I've noted that the bike is much better balanced than having a hub motor which resulted in a less weight in the front end. While I did not think it was that big a deal I have noted better control and balance on the new mid motor model.

Yes weight is a concern for me. I have an e mountain bike that weights over 50 lbs. Riding isn't a problem, it's getting on and off the bike rack. My husband made me a wooden ramp and a sort of rack to steady it so that I can get it on and off the bike rack by myself. Would prefer a lighter bike. Orbea, Wilier and the new Cannondale EvoSynapse e-bike are all light weight but use a rear hub motor and I would prefer a bit more power and distance as well. Also if the motor dies or something goes wrong on a ride, pedaling a lighter bike back to where you need to go is much, much easier.

Understood, and acknowledge that this is an issue with ebikes in general.

What I do when transporting it (I have a tunnel on one of my routes so have to take a shuttle) is remove the battery and my rear bag, doing so takes the weight down to a more manageable level to get it up on the shuttle trailer.

As for rolling resistance, I often ride with no assist, much more than I ever did with the hub motor. The rolling resistance is, the same as a regular bike with the mid motor as it doesn't have the permanent magnet drag.
I'm not sure how much of a difference 10 -15 lbs will make if presented with any slope, -it'll be a workout to say the least.

The electronic shifting, well it is a dream. It's so "sharp" and responsive, -I've had derailleurs since I was in my teens but this one is just, out of this world.

The bike does not come with Di2 electronic shifting!

Back