2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Rode to Ribfest today
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg

No pictures of the bikes or scenery as I forgot, but some food.

One of our crew rode an ebike though!

DH Run #2 – Race of Spades

No epic views this time and a bit more of a challenge than Family Guy but nevertheless a ton o fun.

GX010222 - frame at 0m49s.jpg

GX010222 - frame at 1m34s.jpg

GX010224 - frame at 0m53s.jpg

GX010222 - frame at 1m36s.jpg

GX010223 - frame at 0m30s.jpg

There were plenty of TTFs along this DH single but it would have been nice if there was some way to differentiate between the (no way Jose) jumps or the more manageable A-frame bridges on the approach to make the ride a bit more interesting. Naturally, once you’re committed there’s no turning back.

GX010222 - frame at 4m49s.jpg

GX010224 - frame at 1m11s.jpg

Elevated log bridges, skinnys and teeter totters were definitely not on the menu. :rolleyes:

GX010225 - frame at 0m10s.jpg
GX010225 - frame at 0m12s.jpg

The only e-bike that tagged along for the ride.

PXL_20240720_194159977.jpg

He chose wisely as it definitely paid dividends. 👍

GX010226 - frame at 1m16s.jpg

In Dún Na nGall

County Donegal, the most Irish province of Ireland, north-west, on the Atlantic. The biggest use of the Old Language (Irish Gaelic) here 😊

20240722_125553.jpg
Donegal Airport, Carrickfinn (CFN)

20240722_151231.jpg
The Clady (River) near to Atlantic Ocean

20240722_192616.jpg
Meatpie.

20240722_201633.jpg
Errigal (An Earagail), a mountain near to Gweedore.

20240722_214652.jpg
Directions to Wild Atlantic Way (we are on a travel along!)

20240722_221534.jpg
Kids playing Irish Reel dance music in a pub of Bunbeg late on Monday night!

Last edited:
Condensed DH Run 1 (Family Guy)

I hit the trails yesterday with the boys on Moose Mountain just outside of Bragg Creek, AB. There was a minimal amount of climbing as we had vehicle shuttles hence most of the hard work was done for us. Nevertheless, the few ascents that remained were brutal made worse by the sweltering heat. Family Guy is a sweet mellow singletrack that winds through spruce and pine forests. No time to stop and take in the views along this fabulous trail that was bench cut by hand as there were plenty of other riders taking advantage of the optimal ground conditions. There is a mix of vegetation including lots of open meadows, where we were treated to abundant wild flowers and great views of the valley below and mountains beyond. Sublime.

View attachment 179284
View attachment 179285
View attachment 179286
View attachment 179287
View attachment 179288
View attachment 179289
View attachment 179290
View attachment 179291
Nice!
I'd been out that way on Thursday but on a different type of E-vehicle. Golf cart at Wintergreen Golf Course, just north of Bragg on the west side of the Elbow.

Can't bike at present as waiting on warranty work from Giant - battery went stupid and won't power up the bike.
Passes all diagnostics and will both discharge and charge correctly but won't go. Giant Canada being very good about it as bike is 6 months past warranty and they're going to replace at no charge anyways.
I think Ridley's really went to bat for me in that regard with their Giant rep. Once again they've earned my repeat business.

I fellow who used to work for me wants to get me to join him at West Bragg or Moose, but I told him I would only if he was bringing his wife and 10 year old, so I could ride trails of my current capabilities. Hip is toast and collapses at times, so a bugger when riding. Couldn't possibly ride without an ebike these days and can't wait to get mine back.

1721755176386.png

A perfect day for a nice recovery ride, my 3rd ride in as many days and I can't say that very often this year! Light winds and a nice 19C temp made it a very pleasant ride indeed, I would have preferred to go out much earlier when it was cooler though but I'm not complaining! 😉 I started my ride with a 44mph descent on a local hill, my best on this one was 48mph a few years ago...might make 50 one day if I'm brave enough!😂 After the descent I took the back roads up to Salsburgh, from a big descent to a big climb!

I then joined the main road for only a mile or so before taking the back road to Armadale, a very smooth road after some rough parts at the start!

1721757673428.jpeg

I joined the cycle path just after this which brings you out at the far side of Armadale, the path looks good but its a bit rough to ride!

1721757771436.jpeg

I then joined the new cycle path that runs from Armadale down into Whitburn, this one is very smooth! It runs alongside the main road and is way safer especially down the big descent where I had many idiots trying to pass me before they built the path...

1721758027981.jpeg

I then took the new cycle path from Whitburn to Bathgate and another couple of nice paths to Dechmont, I used to use the road before they built the paths and it wasn't fun at times! I arrived at Dechmont and tackled the big climb up over Burnhouse road, just under a month ago I did this climb on my 15 year old hybrid! It was way easier this time! 😉Part way up the climb I stopped for this photo looking west!

1721758469283.jpeg

The next part of the climb was awaiting me!

1721758495399.jpeg

Now at the top!

1721758560806.jpeg

The Pentland hills in the background here and a plane was on approach to Edinburgh Airport!

1721758637451.jpeg

Now it was time for a much needed descent!

1721758741824.jpeg

I decided to turn off before the final descent to get some photos from a better vantage point, with Beecraigs Country Park surrounded by trees in the distance!

1721758890194.jpeg

The Ochill Hills in the background here!

1721758946835.jpeg

Now I had this awesome descent to enjoy, I was nudging 40mph down this one!

1721759007734.jpeg

The road then rises up immediately up to the country park, I stopped for this photo looking back at the hill I came down before continuing up the climb!

1721759121416.jpeg

I stopped again before the steepest part of the climb for more photos, the bridges over the Forth make a nice view from here!

1721759379962.jpeg

1721759393138.jpeg

1721759407872.jpeg

Almost at the top now, with a nice view of the Ochil Hills!

1721759495660.jpeg

1721759564131.jpeg

The Firth of Forth from near the top of the climb!

1721759621018.jpeg

The final part of the climb, there is a reason I didn't tackle this on my old hybrid...😂

1721759705653.jpeg

After this its a short but fast descent, the road then joins the Linlithgow to Torphicen road and I was undecided about which way to go so I stopped for a snack and spotted these 2 posing for a photo!😂

1721759912252.jpeg

Looking down the valley at the Grangemouth oil refinery, which is looking like it might close for good next year and is the last refinery in Scotland...sad times!

1721760075739.jpeg

I decided to give Linlithgow a miss and headed for Torphicen, the road starts with some big climbs and ends with some amazing descents and has some nice views on the way!

1721760239669.jpeg

1721760357547.jpeg

I then hurtled down the descent into Torphicen which is quickly followed by another fast descent down to the road that leads to Westfield, I had to enjoy them as I knew what was coming next! I could have taken the easy option but thats not me, I was feeling strong after struggling at the start of my ride so I opted for the climbs from Westfield up over Heights and then down the descent into Blackridge! Its such a great road for a bike anyway so the climbs didn't bother me one bit!

I arrived in Blackridge with 41 miles covered and I knew I had almost 10 miles to go so it worked out perfectly for a nice 50 miler, its virtually a straight road west to home from there! So that was ride no 50 for the year and it was a very enjoyable one in excellent conditions, my mileage so far is 3840 miles so my average is just under 77 miles! It was good to get some rides close together for a change, the weather has been crazy this year so I have had many long breaks between rides!

@RandallS I hope you get your bike sorted soon, my original battery is over 6 years old and still going strong! Have they confirmed the battery is at fault?

Attachments

• trip-205107974-map-full269.png
    trip-205107974-map-full269.png
    504.2 KB · Views: 20
  • elevation_profile269.jpg
    elevation_profile269.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 17
Nice!
I'd been out that way on Thursday but on a different type of E-vehicle. Golf cart at Wintergreen Golf Course, just north of Bragg on the west side of the Elbow.

Can't bike at present as waiting on warranty work from Giant - battery went stupid and won't power up the bike.
Passes all diagnostics and will both discharge and charge correctly but won't go. Giant Canada being very good about it as bike is 6 months past warranty and they're going to replace at no charge anyways.
I think Ridley's really went to bat for me in that regard with their Giant rep. Once again they've earned my repeat business.

I fellow who used to work for me wants to get me to join him at West Bragg or Moose, but I told him I would only if he was bringing his wife and 10 year old, so I could ride trails of my current capabilities. Hip is toast and collapses at times, so a bugger when riding. Couldn't possibly ride without an ebike these days and can't wait to get mine back.
It would have been hot out on the links as well. The heat was so stifling we headed back into town after the ride for refreshments but as hard as we tried, we couldn’t find anywhere to park. Seems like everyone from Calgary had converged on the town in one fell swoop.

Bummer to hear about your ride but it sounds like you’re in good hands. My Trance experienced a similar issue and the shop ended up replacing the harness on warranty which ultimately wasn’t the fix that was needed, The culprit instead was traced to a corroded connector to the main power feed. A quick cleanup and a dab of dielectric grease was all that was required. It took a couple of days before I was able to take delivery of the bike. Here’s hoping you won’t have to wait much longer.

View attachment 179338

A perfect day for a nice recovery ride, my 3rd ride in as many days and I can't say that very often this year! Light winds and a nice 19C temp made it a very pleasant ride indeed, I would have preferred to go out much earlier when it was cooler though but I'm not complaining! 😉 I started my ride with a 44mph descent on a local hill, my best on this one was 48mph a few years ago...might make 50 one day if I'm brave enough!😂 After the descent I took the back roads up to Salsburgh, from a big descent to a big climb!

I then joined the main road for only a mile or so before taking the back road to Armadale, a very smooth road after some rough parts at the start!

View attachment 179339
I joined the cycle path just after this which brings you out at the far side of Armadale, the path looks good but its a bit rough to ride!

View attachment 179340
I then joined the new cycle path that runs from Armadale down into Whitburn, this one is very smooth! It runs alongside the main road and is way safer especially down the big descent where I had many idiots trying to pass me before they built the path...

View attachment 179341
I then took the new cycle path from Whitburn to Bathgate and another couple of nice paths to Dechmont, I used to use the road before they built the paths and it wasn't fun at times! I arrived at Dechmont and tackled the big climb up over Burnhouse road, just under a month ago I did this climb on my 15 year old hybrid! It was way easier this time! 😉Part way up the climb I stopped for this photo looking west!

View attachment 179342
The next part of the climb was awaiting me!

View attachment 179343
Now at the top!

View attachment 179344
The Pentland hills in the background here and a plane was on approach to Edinburgh Airport!

View attachment 179345
Now it was time for a much needed descent!

View attachment 179346
I decided to turn off before the final descent to get some photos from a better vantage point, with Beecraigs Country Park surrounded by trees in the distance!

View attachment 179347
The Ochill Hills in the background here!

View attachment 179348
Now I had this awesome descent to enjoy, I was nudging 40mph down this one!

View attachment 179349
The road then rises up immediately up to the country park, I stopped for this photo looking back at the hill I came down before continuing up the climb!

View attachment 179350
I stopped again before the steepest part of the climb for more photos, the bridges over the Forth make a nice view from here!

View attachment 179351
View attachment 179352
View attachment 179353
Almost at the top now, with a nice view of the Ochil Hills!

View attachment 179355
View attachment 179356
The Firth of Forth from near the top of the climb!

View attachment 179357
The final part of the climb, there is a reason I didn't tackle this on my old hybrid...😂

View attachment 179358
After this its a short but fast descent, the road then joins the Linlithgow to Torphicen road and I was undecided about which way to go so I stopped for a snack and spotted these 2 posing for a photo!😂

View attachment 179359
Looking down the valley at the Grangemouth oil refinery, which is looking like it might close for good next year and is the last refinery in Scotland...sad times!

View attachment 179360
I decided to give Linlithgow a miss and headed for Torphicen, the road starts with some big climbs and ends with some amazing descents and has some nice views on the way!

View attachment 179361
View attachment 179362
I then hurtled down the descent into Torphicen which is quickly followed by another fast descent down to the road that leads to Westfield, I had to enjoy them as I knew what was coming next! I could have taken the easy option but thats not me, I was feeling strong after struggling at the start of my ride so I opted for the climbs from Westfield up over Heights and then down the descent into Blackridge! Its such a great road for a bike anyway so the climbs didn't bother me one bit!

I arrived in Blackridge with 41 miles covered and I knew I had almost 10 miles to go so it worked out perfectly for a nice 50 miler, its virtually a straight road west to home from there! So that was ride no 50 for the year and it was a very enjoyable one in excellent conditions, my mileage so far is 3840 miles so my average is just under 77 miles! It was good to get some rides close together for a change, the weather has been crazy this year so I have had many long breaks between rides!

@RandallS I hope you get your bike sorted soon, my original battery is over 6 years old and still going strong! Have they confirmed the battery is at fault?
That Armadale-Whitburn bike path looks very enticing. I'm fortunate enough to live in a huge network of reasonably safe bike lanes, but we have very few paved bike paths like that. Some dirt bikeways here and there, but none more than 2 miles long.

Curious, how many times can you say "Firth of Forth" in rapid succession? Three max for me.

That Armadale-Whitburn bike path looks very enticing. I'm fortunate enough to live in a huge network of reasonably safe bike lanes, but we have very few paved bike paths like that. Some dirt bikeways here and there, but none more than 2 miles long.

Curious, how many times can you say "Firth of Forth" in rapid succession? Three max for me.
They really are improving our bike paths, it has taken them a long time though but its a step in the right direction for sure! Firth of Forth rolls off the Scottish tongue, I could say it many times over without hesitation! 😂

In Dún Na nGall

County Donegal, the most Irish province of Ireland, north-west, on the Atlantic. The biggest use of the Old Language (Irish Gaelic) here 😊

View attachment 179328
Donegal Airport, Carrickfinn (CFN)

View attachment 179329
The Clady (River) near to Atlantic Ocean

View attachment 179330
Meatpie.

View attachment 179331
Errigal (An Earagail), a mountain near to Gweedore.

View attachment 179332
Directions to Wild Atlantic Way (we are on a travel along!)

View attachment 179333
Kids playing Irish Reel dance music in a pub of Bunbeg late on Monday night!
That sign is hilarious.

We spent two weeks in Ireland this last spring and really liked it. There on business Stefan?
Pure holiday with my gf @Brix. Donegal is unbelievably beautiful, especially during good weather we are enjoying now! We both got suntan on a single day!
That sign is hilarious.
As you might notice, it is a stylish WAW for Wild Atlantic Way 😃

The road is a perfectly smooth asphalt, going up and down all the time, and winding. It becomes pretty narrow at times!

I perform rather well in the left-hand traffic although Brix is telling me I veer to the left too often!

We were on Toraigh or Tory Island on Tuesday. The natural beauty is outstanding there! I will post some photos later.

20240723_133303.jpg

A teaser 😃

Despite the hazy conditions due to wild fire smoke, we still managed to fit in a 42km ride this morning. Meanwhile, 400km to the north, Jasper National Park including the townsite has been placed under evacuation notice over the past 36 hrs. 25,000 residents and tourists were forced to flee from the fires which were burning only 8km east of the townsite. The air quality health index at the time had rated our region as 4 out of 10 (moderate) but we couldn’t smell any hint of smoke during the entire ride.

GX010247 - frame at 0m2s.jpg

Crossing any highway requires the utmost vigilance particularly in less-than-ideal conditions. Better to have two pairs of eyes scanning to ensure safe access.

GX010249 - frame at 0m28s.jpg

A light mist in the air kept us cool and occasionally turned to light rain though it was sporadic. The cooling conditions were quite pleasant in comparison to the blazing heat that we’ve had to endure over the past two weeks. More precip is expected throughout the province this week but it’s likely not going to be enough to slow the fires up north.

GX010251 - frame at 0m17s.jpg

Heading back towards homebase, we spot a familiar flashing light in the distance on the other side of the road. Only the missus and another rider we know have the same Lezyne Smartsense lights.

GX010255 - frame at 0m19s.jpg

At the spry age of 72, David completed his first Gran Fondo a week ago in the badlands of Drumheller, AB and so congrats were in order. 👍

We stopped and chatted with our roadie friend for a few minutes before departing our separate ways.

GX010257 - frame at 0m3s.jpg

Back in Talybont, Wales.
On the Nduro fat six.
Found the most beautiful Bridle way alongside a heavy running river.
IMG_20240724_105303046.jpg

It steeply wound its way alongside the river and several hundred feet above it, every corner was full of entire trees washed down in some past flood.
Eventually popping out at a stone arch bridge built in 1762
IMG_20240724_095418387.jpg

IMG_20240724_131548478_HDR.jpg

Such an atmospheric place, it felt like you had been transported back to the era it was built.
IMG_20240724_095351904_HDR~2.jpg

The bridleway continued past the trees into open moorland to a high lake , endless partially collapsed stone walls kept the unreal feeling going.
IMG_20240724_100241806_HDR.jpg

Looking back revealed a lovely panorama of the beach and the Lyn Peninsula with Abersoch and Porthmadog, the right is the Snowdonia mountains
IMG_20240724_100452850_HDR.jpg

The path is called the Taith Ardudwy Way and features a Buzzard on the sign ,I saw two them on the way up.
IMG_20240724_100651269.jpg

Im guessing this is a Victorian construction designed to look ancient, I think the rocks are there to stop people camping under it.
Edit..it seems this is a neolithic burial chamber
IMG_20240724_104948600_HDR.jpg

The bike cruised up from sea level, the 4.8 tyres devoured the very rocky path, in fact the bike easily rode up steep slippery steps
Im very impressed, only a 30% down by the time I got to the lake and I was in high the whole way.
It really is a climbing beast.

Last edited:
Along The Atlantic Coast To Letterkenny
Wednesday 24 July 2024

Were I to write a promotional material, I'd start with the motto: 'Ireland: The Country Where The Things Do Work'. Perfect asphalt roads, mobile payment everywhere (we used no cash so far!), very fast mobile internet, friendly and helpful people! Yes, County Donegal (West Ulster) is a montane province, and you do not drive fast there, especially if you are not a left-hand traffic person! You certainly drive carefully on narrow scenic routes. As Donegal is pretty big by European standards, I do not dare to exceed 50 mile of driving a day. (Many road cyclists can be spotted here!)

1721887091415.png

The Errigal (mountain) as seen from the north (Atlantic coast).

1721887217158.png

Dunfanaghy, a town known from its sandy beaches, sand dunes, and golf courses. Surfing is a popular pastime here, too.

1721887350701.png

Irish Full Breakfast a.k.a. Ulster Fry :)

1721887422215.png

Marble Hill Beach (Portnablagh). People were actually swimming there!

1721887616731.png

Breaghy Head. Sheephaven Bay. There were many sheep indeed! :)

1721887704925.png

A lovely pub in the village of Glen!

1721887784431.png

Beware of teetotallers! :D

1721887848825.png

A mural promoting a local craft brewery.

1721887915389.png

You can legally have a pint of beer and drive in Ireland. I wouldn't, so I settled on a non-alcoholic ale :) See @Brix 😊

1721888043217.png

The Errigal with its summit in clouds, as seen from the south over Glen Lough (lake).

1721888167537.png

A living room of our studio apartment in Letterkenny. All conveniences available!

1721888243494.png

Five minutes of walking to a hypermarket!

Our plans for Thursday involve a boat trip on Swilly Lough (lake) to Buncrana, paying a short visit to Northern Ireland UK (Derry or Londonderry, depending if you are an Irish Republican or British Unionist), and returning to Letterkenny in Ireland.

FB_IMG_1721888747417.jpg

80+ km route plan. Ireland is totally Metric except pints for beer!

FB_IMG_1721888751606.jpg

The size of Co. Donegal. Our 4 bases are shown. A week is nothing to see Donegal! (I put "lotnisko" for Donegal Airport CFN. See how far it is from Donegal Town, Base 4!)

Last edited:
It was crazy during the 'troubles'.

This was what a police station looked like when a modern society enters a 'civil war'.
watch-tower-and-cameras-a-legacy-from-the-past-derry-co-londonderry-ACMECN.jpg

Anyway, lets not spoil your trip 😂.
Our friends visit a lot and cannot praise it more highly

Back