2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

1721064375329.png

A perfect day for a long ride with light winds and a lovely 16C when I set off at 8.30am! There was a risk of heavy showers in the afternoon but with a mild temp I wasn't too bothered about getting wet, it can be refreshing anyway! It was actually a holiday weekend in my area so I was hopeful the traffic might be light for a Monday, thankfully it was so I was able to stick to the main roads for a while to cut down on the amount of climbing that would ensue if I had to use the back roads! The plan was to head down to Peebles in the borders as its such a beautiful area and the roads leading to it are excellent!

I headed SE on the main roads to Carluke where I turned east for Carnwath, it starts with a lot of climbing and ends with some amazing descents! The first climb summits at Kilncadzow and I stopped for my first photo just after passing through the village, the sky was looking very nice at this point!

1721071441645.jpeg

I then enjoyed the descent down into Carnwath where I took the quieter road down towards Biggar, it really is a fun road to ride and with Tinto Hill lit up by the sun in the background it was looking so nice today!

1721071647514.jpeg

Then I had this awesome descent to enjoy!

1721071748682.jpeg

A closer view of Tinto Hill from the bottom of the descent!

1721071804509.jpeg

To the east I had the Pentland Hills way in the distance!

1721071853001.jpeg

The excellent views just kept coming on this fantastic road!

1721071911343.jpeg

Just before I arrived in Biggar I took these photos!

1721071998336.jpeg

The final descent down into the town is so much fun and with the Culter Hills in the background it just looked incredible!

1721072294057.jpeg

From Biggar I headed NE through Skirling and on to Kirkdean where I had a really nice and much closer view of the Pentland Hills!

1721072419407.jpeg

The local wildlife were taking an interest!;)

1721072479676.jpeg

1721072493226.jpeg

1721072506391.jpeg

Just after Kirkdean and before Blyth Bridge I turned on to the main A72 which leads all the way to Peebles, its one of the best cycling roads in the country and with the great conditions and little traffic it was just sublime! The nice views kept coming also!

1721072707226.jpeg

I arrived in Peebles and took this photo of the River Tweed from the bridge in the centre of town! This is looking east!

1721072771755.jpeg

At this point the sky was starting to change out to the west with dark threatening clouds rolling in, this was taken from the excellent cycle path after passing through Peebles!

1721072912457.jpeg

The path twists and turns for a mile or 2 before running alongside the main road!

1721072960393.jpeg

The path ends just after Eddleston and leads on to a quiet back road that runs to the NW where it joins the main A701, its a 3 mile climb but nothing very steep and you get amazing views of the Culter Hills!

1721073229109.jpeg

Some of the road is really rough but some is like this!

1721073263272.jpeg

This is from the top of the climb looking back down!

1721073340939.jpeg

Another 2 photos before joining the main A701 to head back towards Biggar!

1721073761986.jpeg

1721073784952.jpeg

After this part the road drops down steeply and joins the main road at Whim which was my turning point, I was now heading SW back towards Blyth Bridge and that's when I could feel rain in the air for the first time! Nothing heavy at this point though but I could see the dark clouds in the distance where the rain was looking very threatening! I continued down the A701 and the rain stopped but I knew I wouldn't be able to avoid it and would almost certainly get a soaking at some point!

At Kirkdean I had covered just under 64 miles and my first battery had dropped to 20% so I switched batteries, I had actually climbed almost 3500ft at this point so that was good going! Eventually I arrived back in Biggar and turned north to take the back road to Elsrickle, then the rain started to get heavy and the roads ahead were now soaking wet! Imagine my surprise when I suddenly reached dry roads again after less than a mile and I got to enjoy the big descent on a totally dry road before heading up the climb to Elsrickle! At the end of the road I headed NW towards Newbigging and the dark clouds were threatening once again, I could actually see a squall passing over the fields and attempted to outrun it but I had a big climb to take on up to Kaimend and was lucky to only catch the edge of the rain! I decided to take the back road to join the A70 here and avoid Carnwath which looked like it was getting a good soaking!

As I climbed the back road the rain subsided but the roads were very wet and remained so for many miles, at the end of the road I took the back road to Auchengray where the skies were starting to clear and just after passing through the village I came across dry roads again, I had made the right decision going this way for sure! I then passed through Woolfords and headed up the climb to Cobbinshaw and was looking forward to the big descent that was about to greet me, almost 45mph down this one!:D

I then took the road to Addiewell and Loganlea which leads to Breich and headed north through Longridge and Whitburn and the roads remained dry, all the time I could see the dark clouds out to the west and knew I would have to face the rain again at some point! I passed through Longridge and Whitburn with rain starting to fall, then headed west for Harthill and up the big climb and was glad of the rain which was cooling me down up the climb! I then enjoyed the descent down to Kirk of Shotts where the 100 miles arrived on my gps and I turned north to head past the Blackhill transmitters where the skies were looking brighter and I came across dry roads again!

1721075965297.jpeg

Roughrigg Reservoir!

1721076008171.jpeg

I enjoyed this awesome descent with the Campsie Hills in the background!

1721076044329.jpeg

Looking back up the hill I just descended at high speed!

1721076114899.jpeg

Another view of the reservoir!

1721076151677.jpeg

1721076165303.jpeg

Then I shot down the final descent into Plains and turned west for home with only 2 miles remaining! I sure got lucky today with my rain avoidance today, I'm good at reading clouds though!;) What a brilliant day on the bike, the roads were just incredible for the most part!👍I arrived home very tired of course but absolutely buzzing!:D I'm loving the challenge of taking just the 2 batteries for these 100 milers now, its a lot less weight to contend with and my second battery still had 30% left when I got home so range anxiety wasn't on my mind!

Attachments

• elevation_profile266.jpg
    elevation_profile266.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 20
  • trip-202356657-map-full266.png
    trip-202356657-map-full266.png
    374 KB · Views: 19
View attachment 179019

A perfect day for a long ride with light winds and a lovely 16C when I set off at 8.30am! There was a risk of heavy showers in the afternoon but with a mild temp I wasn't too bothered about getting wet, it can be refreshing anyway! It was actually a holiday weekend in my area so I was hopeful the traffic might be light for a Monday, thankfully it was so I was able to stick to the main roads for a while to cut down on the amount of climbing that would ensue if I had to use the back roads! The plan was to head down to Peebles in the borders as its such a beautiful area and the roads leading to it are excellent!

I headed SE on the main roads to Carluke where I turned east for Carnwath, it starts with a lot of climbing and ends with some amazing descents! The first climb summits at Kilncadzow and I stopped for my first photo just after passing through the village, the sky was looking very nice at this point!

View attachment 179028
I then enjoyed the descent down into Carnwath where I took the quieter road down towards Biggar, it really is a fun road to ride and with Tinto Hill lit up by the sun in the background it was looking so nice today!

View attachment 179029
Then I had this awesome descent to enjoy!

View attachment 179030
A closer view of Tinto Hill from the bottom of the descent!

View attachment 179031
To the east I had the Pentland Hills way in the distance!

View attachment 179032
The excellent views just kept coming on this fantastic road!

View attachment 179033
Just before I arrived in Biggar I took these photos!

View attachment 179034
The final descent down into the town is so much fun and with the Culter Hills in the background it just looked incredible!

View attachment 179036
From Biggar I headed NE through Skirling and on to Kirkdean where I had a really nice and much closer view of the Pentland Hills!

View attachment 179037
The local wildlife were taking an interest!;)

View attachment 179038
View attachment 179039
View attachment 179040
Just after Kirkdean and before Blyth Bridge I turned on to the main A72 which leads all the way to Peebles, its one of the best cycling roads in the country and with the great conditions and little traffic it was just sublime! The nice views kept coming also!

View attachment 179041
I arrived in Peebles and took this photo of the River Tweed from the bridge in the centre of town! This is looking east!

View attachment 179042
At this point the sky was starting to change out to the west with dark threatening clouds rolling in, this was taken from the excellent cycle path after passing through Peebles!

View attachment 179043
The path twists and turns for a mile or 2 before running alongside the main road!

View attachment 179044
The path ends just after Eddleston and leads on to a quiet back road that runs to the NW where it joins the main A701, its a 3 mile climb but nothing very steep and you get amazing views of the Culter Hills!

View attachment 179045
Some of the road is really rough but some is like this!

View attachment 179046
This is from the top of the climb looking back down!

View attachment 179047
Another 2 photos before joining the main A701 to head back towards Biggar!

View attachment 179048
View attachment 179049
After this part the road drops down steeply and joins the main road at Whim which was my turning point, I was now heading SW back towards Blyth Bridge and that's when I could feel rain in the air for the first time! Nothing heavy at this point though but I could see the dark clouds in the distance where the rain was looking very threatening! I continued down the A701 and the rain stopped but I knew I wouldn't be able to avoid it and would almost certainly get a soaking at some point!

At Kirkdean I had covered just under 64 miles and my first battery had dropped to 20% so I switched batteries, I had actually climbed almost 3500ft at this point so that was good going! Eventually I arrived back in Biggar and turned north to take the back road to Elsrickle, then the rain started to get heavy and the roads ahead were now soaking wet! Imagine my surprise when I suddenly reached dry roads again after less than a mile and I got to enjoy the big descent on a totally dry road before heading up the climb to Elsrickle! At the end of the road I headed NW towards Newbigging and the dark clouds were threatening once again, I could actually see a squall passing over the fields and attempted to outrun it but I had a big climb to take on up to Kaimend and was lucky to only catch the edge of the rain! I decided to take the back road to join the A70 here and avoid Carnwath which looked like it was getting a good soaking!

As I climbed the back road the rain subsided but the roads were very wet and remained so for many miles, at the end of the road I took the back road to Auchengray where the skies were starting to clear and just after passing through the village I came across dry roads again, I had made the right decision going this way for sure! I then passed through Woolfords and headed up the climb to Cobbinshaw and was looking forward to the big descent that was about to greet me, almost 45mph down this one!:D

I then took the road to Addiewell and Loganlea which leads to Breich and headed north through Longridge and Whitburn and the roads remained dry, all the time I could see the dark clouds out to the west and knew I would have to face the rain again at some point! I passed through Longridge and Whitburn with rain starting to fall, then headed west for Harthill and up the big climb and was glad of the rain which was cooling me down up the climb! I then enjoyed the descent down to Kirk of Shotts where the 100 miles arrived on my gps and I turned north to head past the Blackhill transmitters where the skies were looking brighter and I came across dry roads again!

View attachment 179050
Roughrigg Reservoir!

View attachment 179051
I enjoyed this awesome descent with the Campsie Hills in the background!

View attachment 179052
Looking back up the hill I just descended at high speed!

View attachment 179053
Another view of the reservoir!

View attachment 179054
View attachment 179055
Then I shot down the final descent into Plains and turned west for home with only 2 miles remaining! I sure got lucky today with my rain avoidance today, I'm good at reading clouds though!;) What a brilliant day on the bike, the roads were just incredible for the most part!👍I arrived home very tired of course but absolutely buzzing!:D I'm loving the challenge of taking just the 2 batteries for these 100 milers now, its a lot less weight to contend with and my second battery still had 30% left when I got home so range anxiety wasn't on my mind!
Another epic ride Rab! If I tried that ride with 2 batteries they would find my exhausted dead carcass 50 miles out. I don't know how you do it, ride that distance, that speed with unimaginable elevation gains and still have energy to wright up a fabulous ride report, I wouldn't be able to crack a beer after half of that. Kudos Rab.

Another epic ride Rab! If I tried that ride with 2 batteries they would find my exhausted dead carcass 50 miles out. I don't know how you do it, ride that distance, that speed with unimaginable elevation gains and still have energy to wright up a fabulous ride report, I wouldn't be able to crack a beer after half of that. Kudos Rab.
Thanks Bob, lots of practise over 50 years helps and great genes...😂

Screenshot_20240716-213845.png

Did a strange ride on the Welsh coast, taking in St Asaph, Rhyl and Colwyn bay, all victorian seaside resorts and slate mining areas that are long past their best
First called in at Gwyrch castle, which was used to host Celebrity Jungle during the pandemic, didnt go well, got chucked out for using my drone 😂

Screenshot_20240716-213956.png

I came to ride this weird collection of cyclepath bridges that were built to keep the coastal path open after they built the hideous dual carriageway right along the beautiful coast .

Screenshot_20240716-214035.png

You get a view of which should be scenic, but has a strange foreboding.
Its a very empty and lost feeling coast.

Screenshot_20240716-214106.png

You end up between the two tunnels on a path made from the original rd, it actually looks very picturesque.

Screenshot_20240716-214155.png

Then back across the road, suspended above on very modern, stark structures seemingly built on the spot to fit.

Screenshot_20240716-214227.png

Then back and forth under the very busy rd, the thundering vehicles above add to the surreal feeling of the ride.

Screenshot_20240716-214359.png

Back to a grànd view, but the emptiness outside of the speeding cars gives it a very unfriendly vibe.

Screenshot_20240716-214411.png

Wave to a guy well down the path in a mobility scooter, the first person Ive seen for miles.

Screenshot_20240716-214530.png

The tunnels were built in 1932, the cycle path follows the original rd.

Screenshot_20240716-214645.png

Several more times over and back of the road and rail line and you reach this desolate beach, but the whole time there is the roar of the traffic in the distance.

Screenshot_20240716-214709.png

Now Im near Colwyn Bay and I pass one guy in his 70s on a quality emtb, were both a long way from an exit from the path.

Screenshot_20240716-214937.png

Eventually reach Colwyn and get to ride over the roof of a beach restaurant.

Screenshot_20240716-215002.png

The other side was a back forth wheelchair descent.

Screenshot_20240716-215052.png

Old dears swimming on a dull cold day.

Screenshot_20240716-215115.png

Becoming busier, but it still feels like a town with more past than present.

Screenshot_20240716-215210.png

I tried to ride the beach, not bad for a bmx.

Screenshot_20240716-215329.png

Another senior citizen not pedalling, just cruising on throttle.

Screenshot_20240716-215408.png

I tried to do a full wall of death here, got about two foot up.

Screenshot_20240716-215436.png

Lovely, tiny church on the front, it gathered some French tourists outside.

Screenshot_20240716-215503.png

Old guy on a very powerful scooter with fancy multiple shocks, he was doing about 15mph.
It was a drizzly day and the schools havent broken up yet, so I'll excuse the emptiness, might come back mid summer to see if it has a good vibe

Last edited:
View attachment 179085
Did a strange ride on the Welsh coast, taking in St Asaph, Rhyl and Colwyn bay, all victorian seaside resorts and slate mining areas that are long past their best
First called in at Gwyrch castle, which was used to host Celebrity Jungle during the pandemic, didnt go well, got chucked out for using my drone 😂

View attachment 179086
I came to ride this weird collection of cyclepath bridges that were built to keep the coastal path open after they built the hideous dual carriageway right along the beautiful coast .

View attachment 179087
You get a view of which should be scenic, but has a strange foreboding.
Its a very empty and lost feeling coast.

View attachment 179088
You end up between the two tunnels on a path made from the original rd, it actually looks very picturesque.

View attachment 179089
Then back across the road, suspended above on very modern, stark structures seemingly built on the spot to fit.

View attachment 179090
Then back and forth under the very busy rd, the thundering vehicles above add to the surreal feeling of the ride.

View attachment 179091
Back to a grànd view, but the emptiness outside of the speeding cars gives it a very unfriendly vibe.

View attachment 179092
Wave to a guy well down the path in a mobility scooter, the first person Ive seen for miles.

View attachment 179093
The tunnels were built in 1932, the cycle path follows the original rd.

View attachment 179094
Several more times over and back of the road and rail line and you reach this desolate beach, but the whole time there is the roar of the traffic in the distance.

View attachment 179095
Now Im near Colwyn Bay and I pass one guy in his 70s on a quality emtb, were both a long way from an exit from the path.

View attachment 179096
Eventually reach Cokwyn and get to ride over the roof of a beach restaraunt.

View attachment 179097
The other side was a back forth wheelchair descent.

View attachment 179098
Old dears swimming on a dull cold day.

View attachment 179099
Becoming busier, but it still feels like a town with more past than present.

View attachment 179100
I tried to ride the beach, not bad for a bmx.

View attachment 179101
Another senior citizen not pedalling, just cruising on throttle.

View attachment 179102
I tried to do a full wall of death here, got about two foot up.

View attachment 179103
Lovely, tiny church on the front, it gathered some French tourists outside.

View attachment 179104
Old guy on a very powerful scooter with fancy multiple shocks, he was doing about 15mph.
It eas a drizzly day and the schools havent broken up yet, so I'll excuse the emptiness, might come nack mid summer to see if it has a good vibe
Excellent, you have some great looking trails to ride Chargeride.

My Wales is built entirely of Dylan Thomas’ reading ‘Quite Early One Morning’ over 50 years ago.
“quite early one morning in the winter in Wales, by the sea that was lying down still as glass after a night of tar black howling…It had been such a ferocious night that someone in a Smokey ship-pictured bar had said he could feel his tombstone shaking even though he was not dead or,at least, was moving;”

Spent a long weekend on Marylands Eastern Shore with the family. I setup the Revolt with road tires and played roadie while I was there. Got to tour the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge (which I've previously kayaked) as well as ride as far down Hoopers Island as the road went.

Backroad through a swampy area. When I was planning the route, I didn't get why most people took the main road around this on the Strava Heatmap. Guess roadies don't like rough backroads.
J6uC4Rz.jpeg

Road had a moat.
GkFaxiF.jpeg

Start of the trek through the east side of Blackwater. Its close to high tide and the water overruns the road sometimes.
YrwBsIt.jpeg

The Revolt is walking on water. Loved these sections, 10 miles of lovely views with no cars. Water splashing up on my legs was hotter than the air.
rzN1WTq.jpeg

Coming back through Fishing Creek, where the house we rented is.
gBOEq0j.jpeg

The causeway south from Fishing Creek towards Hoopersville. Shoulder on the Chesapeake bay side was really washed out, with the road down to 1 lane in places.
cgK8Is7.jpeg

Summit of the biggest climb of the day, yo.
JqBznrr.jpeg

As far as the road goes.
dW0LuJC.jpeg

Wind picked up on the way back and I had a glorious tailwind.
lEM2opM.jpeg

Spent a long weekend on Marylands Eastern Shore with the family. I setup the Revolt with road tires and played roadie while I was there. Got to tour the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge (which I've previously kayaked) as well as ride as far down Hoopers Island as the road went.

Backroad through a swampy area. When I was planning the route, I didn't get why most people took the main road around this on the Strava Heatmap. Guess roadies don't like rough backroads.
J6uC4Rz.jpeg

Road had a moat.
GkFaxiF.jpeg

Start of the trek through the east side of Blackwater. Its close to high tide and the water overruns the road sometimes.
YrwBsIt.jpeg

The Revolt is walking on water. Loved these sections, 10 miles of lovely views with no cars. Water splashing up on my legs was hotter than the air.
rzN1WTq.jpeg

gBOEq0j.jpeg

The causeway south from Fishing Creek towards Hoopersville. Shoulder on the Chesapeake bay side was really washed out, with the road down to 1 lane in places.
cgK8Is7.jpeg

JqBznrr.jpeg

As far as the road goes.
dW0LuJC.jpeg

lEM2opM.jpeg
Great pics!
Is that Revolt a Shimano motor?

J6uC4Rz.jpeg

Road had a moat.
GkFaxiF.jpeg

YrwBsIt.jpeg

rzN1WTq.jpeg

gBOEq0j.jpeg

cgK8Is7.jpeg

JqBznrr.jpeg

As far as the road goes.
dW0LuJC.jpeg

lEM2opM.jpeg
Such a stunning area!👌

Roadies on rough backroads you say...never again if I can help it!😉

1721245055072.jpeg

1721245074881.jpeg

J6uC4Rz.jpeg

Road had a moat.
GkFaxiF.jpeg

YrwBsIt.jpeg

rzN1WTq.jpeg

gBOEq0j.jpeg

cgK8Is7.jpeg

JqBznrr.jpeg

As far as the road goes.
dW0LuJC.jpeg

lEM2opM.jpeg
I love a good bridge and thats a cracker.

Back