2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

1721916653900.png

My lucky streak with the weather continued today, my 4th ride in 6 days and I can't say that very often! I did have to alter my ride but it didn't detract from the awesome ride I had planned and actually turned out to be one of my best rides of the year! I was going to head out to Lennoxtown and climb the Campsie Hills at Crow road but as I was on my way down to Cumbernauld the sky to the NW was looking pretty threatening so I changed plans and continued down into Kilsyth where the sky wasn't looking so dark! I decided to tackle the Tak Ma Doon road up over the Campsies, probably the most difficult climb in my near vicinity but also the most rewarding!

Its a very tough climb and starts with a leg burning 18% gradient, the reward comes at the summit at 1100ft with the awesome descent down into the Carron Valley! It was a bit of a blustery day with a SW wind around 25mph, the temp was perfect for riding at around 15C! The first part of the descent is very fast, 42.6mph was my top speed and then its on the brakes to cross the ford which wasn't too bad today, sometimes I have to stop and push the bike across if its too deep!

1721917527982.jpeg

Then the descent continues!

1721917569848.jpeg

1721917582849.jpeg

At the end of the road I had 2 options, turn right and enjoy the descent down into Denny or go straight through and climb for a mile or so and enjoy a rollercoaster road down into Bannockburn! I chose the latter and it was a very wise choice, its a cyclists dream road if you like fast descents! :D I have actually climbed it in the opposite direction twice this year and both times it was into a headwind, today I got to descend it with a 25mph tailwind!😁 Its not all descending of course as it is a proper rollercoaster with many ups and downs but the ups in this direction are way easier!

This part next to Loch Coulter is a real blast and very fast!

1721918609497.jpeg

The Ochill Hills ahead were shrouded in thick cloud!

1721918662236.jpeg

Loch Coulter, no sign of the sun today!

1721918703381.jpeg

1721918714732.jpeg

I continued down towards Bannockburn, nudging 40mph on every descent and arrived at a climb so I stopped for a snack and a couple of photos!

1721918808629.jpeg

The climb starts gradually before ramping up after this!

1721918848668.jpeg

Then I reached the final descent down into Bannockburn!

1721918880725.jpeg

A closer view of the Ochil Hills!

1721918925661.jpeg

From Bannockburn I turned south for Denny and was using the main road for a good few miles, thankfully it wasn't too bad and the drivers were behaving! From Denny I continued on to Bonnybridge and crossed the canal, stopping for more snacks before tackling the big climbs that were awaiting me!

1721919080126.jpeg

1721919092842.jpeg

1721919105747.jpeg

I started up the first climb and came across a big group of horse riders coming down, so I stopped to let them all pass and was just about to start climbing again when a massive tractor appeared taking up the whole road!😂 I lifted my bike on to the verge to let him pass, I'm sure he was happy when he saw the all the horses further ahead!;) I got to the top of the second climb and stopped for this photo looking back down the hill!

1721919674161.jpeg

Then it was another climb but a much easier one!

1721919714417.jpeg

From here I could see the Campsies to the left and the Ochils to the right!

1721919750357.jpeg

Then I reached the flat part and had the wind at my back for a few miles all the way into Falkirk! The road is pretty smooth like this almost all the way!

1721919842552.jpeg

Another view of the Ochils, only just!

1721919879536.jpeg

From Falkirk I had 2 choices yet again, take the direct road to Slamannan which starts with a big descent followed by a big climb or turn into the village of Lionthorn and head down to Glen Village and take on the big climb there! I chose the latter even though its a harder climb, I was feeling pretty strong today!

1721920101948.jpeg
At the top looking back down!

1721920122076.jpeg

I then had a nice descent down into Slamannan and was going to use the back road to Longriggend but it was closed so I had no choice but to use the main road to Greengairs! Its not a very busy road though so no big deal and although I was riding directly into the 25mph headwind I had lots of tree cover to protect me!

1721920261009.jpeg

1721920274014.jpeg

A final couple of photos of the Campsies, the second one shows it was almost certainly raining over that way now!

1721920344649.jpeg

1721920360110.jpeg

I passed through Greengairs at 48 miles and turned south on to the quiet back roads to home with 5 miles or so to go, it was a big climbing day but my legs coped very well probably due to getting out regularly! What a fantastic day that was, it turned out to be an even better ride than I had planned!:D My next ride is looking like Sunday when I'm hoping to cycle to the motorcyle racing at Knockhill, my first bike ride to the circuit this year if the forecast is correct! The weather previously has been truly awful so fingers crossed Sunday will be my day...

Attachments

• elevation_profile270.jpg
    elevation_profile270.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 41
  • trip-205673933-map-full270.png
    trip-205673933-map-full270.png
    514 KB · Views: 36
I road 17 miles today, I couldn’t get my wife to go with, it was very humid. A picture of an off road side by side, technically not road legal but you see them on the roads all the time. Also a picture of a patch of sweet corn. You can see how much shorter it is compared to the field corn in the background.
IMG_3558.jpeg
IMG_3559.jpeg

Our air quality health index this morning remained at level 4 (moderate) but the smoke appeared heavier than yesterday and the smell of it was fairly evident the moment we started our ride.

GX010260 - frame at 0m6s.jpg

Speaking of which, tragedy has struck the national park resort of Jasper as the wildfires have reached the townsite. The evacuation is complete but blocks of buildings have burnt to the ground with the east end completely incinerated. Estimates have the town at 30-50% destroyed and the fires continue to burn out of control. :confused: Our hearts reach out to the people who live and work in this beautiful mountain community.

No downtime for this local. Such is a farmer’s life - Get up early, work late, only get done half the things you planned on and end up doing a bunch you hadn’t planned on.

GX010259 - frame at 0m6s.jpg

We received a friendly acknowledgement from Tim the owner of a LBS who lives along this rural range road and was likely on his way to open up shop.

GX010249 - frame at 0m10s.jpg

The cooler, wet conditions were just what we needed but the relentless winds we could have done without. Not much else to do other than to drop down and hammer away.

GX010262 - frame at 0m35s.jpg

Norn Iron 😂
That's the official pronunciation in the local dialect!

We -- by mistake -- made an unnecessarily long walk in Derry, and could see a Police Station there. Not exactly your picture but the site actually looked like a castle! Nothing short of a battle tank or a howitzer could destroy it, seriously!

The Republicans seemed cheeky a little bit: many Irish flags could be seen there but no single Union Jack. I felt better upon the return to Ireland.

20240725_155627.jpg

The Undertones, the most famous Derry rock band.

The N13 we travelled by from Derry to Letterkenny was the first wide double dual carriageway road we could travel so far. I managed driving in sixth gear at 105 km/h awhile 😃

20240725_122201.jpg

Earlier, we took a ferry through Lough Swilly (one of three fjords of Ireland).

20240725_120416.jpg

Loch Suilí is huge!

20240725_121256.jpg

Rathmullan Beach. The boat took us to the spa of Buncrana. After lunch, we travelled to Derry.

20240725_153909.jpg
20240725_154108.jpg
20240725_154601.jpg
20240725_154805.jpg

Not a shabby city!

Travelling to a fishing village of Killybegs on Friday!

Last edited:
The Plan For Saturday!

We moved from Letterkenny to Killybegs. The latter is an important town on North Atlantic, the southern shore of Co. Donegal, the largest fishing harbour in the whole island of Ireland.

Meanwhile, a lunch in Glenties (Donegal Highlands), and a visit to the Ardara Distillery with a guided tasting tour! 😃

20240726_171550.jpg

Actually, the ZIP code is F94 VY84. The man asked me for my body size and promised to have the e-bike ready for 9:30 am on Saturday. It is only 12 km drive to Carrick! I wonder if they will have a spare helmet for me?

20240726_112308.jpg

I almost lost the left mirror (passenger side). There was a weird narrow bridge with stone walks, clearly marked for a trouble to come 😃 BANG! The mirror was hanging on its cables! As we stopped the car, @Brix went back and found the lost mirror cover among many other laying there 😃 She fixed the mirror! Good to have her! (I need to mention the car is totally insured).

"A Day Without An Adventure Is A Day Lost" /hers/ 😃

Last edited:
Nice!
I'd been out that way on Thursday but on a different type of E-vehicle. Golf cart at Wintergreen Golf Course, just north of Bragg on the west side of the Elbow.

Can't bike at present as waiting on warranty work from Giant - battery went stupid and won't power up the bike.
Passes all diagnostics and will both discharge and charge correctly but won't go. Giant Canada being very good about it as bike is 6 months past warranty and they're going to replace at no charge anyways.
I think Ridley's really went to bat for me in that regard with their Giant rep. Once again they've earned my repeat business.

I fellow who used to work for me wants to get me to join him at West Bragg or Moose, but I told him I would only if he was bringing his wife and 10 year old, so I could ride trails of my current capabilities. Hip is toast and collapses at times, so a bugger when riding. Couldn't possibly ride without an ebike these days and can't wait to get mine back.
Rats!
Good to hear your dealer is responsive. Mine is as well, they've been awesome!

Rats!
Good to hear your dealer is responsive. Mine is as well, they've been awesome!
Got bike back yesterday, Giant came through with new battery, and shop charge for all diagnosis and labour to swap cover was more than reasonable ($50).
Busy today, but tomorrow or Monday are pencilled in!

Nice to have a battery with zero charge cycles and 100% health.
To be honest, had I had to pay out of pocket to replace I would have moved up to the 800, but the 625 is still plenty of juice for my riding habits..

Got bike back yesterday, Giant came through with new battery, and shop charge for all diagnosis and labour to swap cover was more than reasonable ($50).
Busy today, but tomorrow or Monday are pencilled in!

Nice to have a battery with zero charge cycles and 100% health.
To be honest, had I had to pay out of pocket to replace I would have moved up to the 800, but the 625 is still plenty of juice for my riding habits..
That is stellar! Nicely done sir!

Ireland by Bike: Carrick to Malin Beg to Glencolumbkille and Back to Carrick

20240727_123625.jpg
Ireland by Bike (IBB), an LBS in An Carraigh/Carrick F94 VY84. They specialize in e-bike rental.

20240727_095943.jpg
Thompson Enigma, a Bosch E-Bike. Active Line motor, 500 Wh battery. IBB says 'You'll never run out of the battery here' and that's the truth!

20240727_101046 (1).jpg
The weather is variable here in Ireland. The sky could be overcast with a gentle shower; after five minutes the sky would turn blue, full sunshine, warm and dry! I rode in tracksuit trousers and a T-shirt all the way!

20240727_113220.jpg
Malin More, the westernmost point of Europe I could reach so far.

20240727_110649.jpg
Silver Strand, Mállain Bigh/Malin Beg. One of the most beautiful places you can see in County Donegal ❤️

20240727_113224.jpg
North Atlantic Ocean.

20240727_114134.jpg
Only Gaelic place names here!

20240727_115132 (1).jpg
Cliffs near Gleann Cholm Cille / Glencolumbkille.

20240727_120715 (1).jpg
A rather long and steep climb towards An Carraigh, followed by a long descent to the finish line!

Screenshot_20240728_092912_Strava.jpg

34 km with 505 m elevation gain at average speed of 19.5 km/h. My Wahoo says the max speed was 50 km/h but Strava corrects it to 46 km/h (I was applying brakes a lot!)

20240727_111405.jpg
IBB provided me with a helmet, hi-vis vest, a pannier, a lock, and a useful handlebar bag. Price €40, and I was allowed to use the e-bike 9:30 to 18:00. No deposit. The only question asked was "Can you operate an e-bike?"

It was my first time on a Bosch E-Bike. My experience was positive. I rode mostly in Sport mode, and assistance was adequate for 10% incline. The motor was even not overly loud! I returned with a plenty of the battery charge left!

Regarding the bike: I'd love having my own pedals there! The saddle had a slightly wrong tilt. I disliked the swept handlebars. Otherwise, a lovely ride!
It was my 47th cycling week in a streak! ❤️

Our air quality health index this morning remained at level 4 (moderate) but the smoke appeared heavier than yesterday and the smell of it was fairly evident the moment we started our ride.

View attachment 179524

Speaking of which, tragedy has struck the national park resort of Jasper as the wildfires have reached the townsite. The evacuation is complete but blocks of buildings have burnt to the ground with the east end completely incinerated. Estimates have the town at 30-50% destroyed and the fires continue to burn out of control. :confused: Our hearts reach out to the people who live and work in this beautiful mountain community.
So sad to hear that Jasper's largely gone now. Been there several times. Such a beautiful part of the Canadian Rockies!

Hope your air quality's improving. Maybe just lack of coverage in the US, but I don't recall hearing about Canadian wildfires before last year. Have conditions changed there, too?

Back