2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Yeah... I woke up to -15C here, but that's embarrassing compared to what you guys are experiencing.
But it will be +9 in a week so we can't complain. Why I moved here from the prairies :cool:

IMG_8149.jpeg

Yeah... I woke up to -15C here, but that's embarrassing compared to what you guys are experiencing.
I would be grateful if I could wake up to -15C but it ain’t gonna happen at least not for another week. Slowly but surely, we’ll get through it. A family member who had retired and moved from Whitehorse, YK several years ago thought she would enjoy the warmer winter clime of Kelowna advised me that it was even colder in the Okanagan than one would otherwise expect it to be further north. Go figure.🤨

However, let it be known that I don’t think anyone in their right mind would be riding here over the past week and this morning is of no exception. It's painful just stepping outside and it doesn’t appear that things will improve significantly for a while yet. I guess that it’s payback for the month of warm conditions that we received in December.
Art, be assured I am happy Poland is not Canada :)
There is a joke about Oymyakon in Russia (reportedly the coldest inhabited place on the Earth):
'Hi Volodya, I'm calling you from Vladivostok. It is -11 C here. What about you in Oymyakon?'
'Ah, it is only minus twenty here, thank you for asking'.
'How come? I could see -63 was reported for your location'
'Did you mean outside?'
:D

1705206774607.png

Oymyakon, Russia. "The Pole of The Cold".

Regarding my friend, his comment was 'The only good thing about Winter is the ice-riding' :) Not sure what he does for living but he is a relatively young person, and he is a single.

P.S. Just recently, I found your picture of frozen spaghetti... :)
1705207312266.png

Last edited:
Art, be assured I am happy Poland is not Canada :)
There is a joke about Oymyakon in Russia (reportedly the coldest inhabited place on the Earth):
'Hi Volodya, I'm calling you from Vladivostok. It is -11 C here. What about you in Oymyakon?'
'Ah, it is only minus twenty here, thank you for asking'.
'How come? I could see -63 was reported for your location'
'Did you mean outside?'
:D
I hear ya. I think that I speak for most here who just want to see an end to this extreme cold sooner than later. It’s not just us, Calgary, Edmonton, and Saskatoon, SK have all recorded temps lower than Alert Bay, Nunavut near the Arctic Circle. I would rather be out riding but clearly recall from previous years when it turns this cold that it simply isn’t an enjoyable experience, in fact, it can be down right miserable. I am finally looking forward to a ride on Tuesday when the forecast will supposedly be an acceptable -11C. Yeahh!!

It's like that in our house, I'm paying the gas bill and I'm running the boiler at one degree Kelvin.
Years ago a well known UK celebrity called Keith Chegwin went on a Siberian adventure with the Russian military, he took a Vauxhall pretend offroader, which the Russians mocked the entire trip.
It conked out within hours, they lifted the bonnet and it was full to the top with snow..around the previously running engine.
So they tied it to the back of the Russian monster vehicle and towed it in the blizzard, when they eventually stopped, it had rolled over and become a giant ball of ice.

They just rolled it off the track into the forest and carried on

Last edited:
Now sitting in Klimatyczna Cafe over Meringue and sipping Winter Tea 😊

A dreary day. Thaw but down to -1°C among the fields, light snowing, and a massive headwind on the outbound leg of the ride. Applied 60% of Vado assistance and pedalled for 54 minutes deeply leaning on the handlebars to reduce the air drag. The average speed has been less than 22 km/h but only 58% battery charge left! (It should be far better on the return).

Met here three roadies who untypically were riding the nearby National Park just to avoid the wind! Even if I was "electric", they congratulated me on the courage to be riding in the weather like this!

Guys, have some meal because I'm going to post the photos of the victuals when I'm back! 🤣

1705264526335.png

Meringue.

1705264566118.png

Winter Tea with honey.

1705264626298.png

A Special(ized) Purpose E-Bike :)

1705264697241.png

An afternoon snack :) At a service station.

1705264960528.png

When you are riding with the tailwind and suddenly there's silence, your crusing speed is equal to the wind speed. I was riding at 36 km/h on the two "green" segments indicated, 30% assistance. I was countering the headwind on my way to the Cafe with the extreme slowing down on the "red" segment. (The assistance was 60% upwind and 30% downwind. The battery consumption was 85%, very high as per the distance ridden).

Last edited:
It's like that in our house, I'm paying the gas bill and I'm running the boiler at one degree Kelvin.
It was so cold yesterday that the province’s electricity provider (AESO) issued a province wide alert for possible ‘rolling outages’ as the grid was under pressure due to the high-power demand. All Albertans were advised to conserve electricity during peak hours. It appeared to work as total consumption dropped immediately after the alert was issued. I think most complied rather than being faced with the bleak outcome of battling -45C temps and no heat in their homes. 🥶

It was so cold yesterday that the province’s electricity provider (AESO) issued a province wide alert for possible ‘rolling outages’ as the grid was under pressure due to the high-power demand. All Albertans were advised to conserve electricity during peak hours. It appeared to work as total consumption dropped immediately after the alert was issued. I think most complied rather than being faced with the bleak outcome of battling -45C temps and no heat in their homes. 🥶
Hate to say it, but it's hard to imagine that level of compliance in the US — even in the face of such an immanent threat.

This has has become the Land of Toxic Individualism. For a significant segment of our population, the notion that you'd make the slightest sacrifice to the common good outside of your own family or church group just doesn't compute anymore.

When I was studying Japanese geology, I learned that every citizen was expected to attend emergency preparedness classes and participate in all drills on a regular basis — mainly for earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic eruptions. Moreover, they were all expected to pitch in when disasters happen.

Compliance was close to 100%. Of course, the Japanese live with a level of geo-danger that most people can't comprehend. But I think there's an important cultural difference as well.

Our warmest feels like temp this week will be -2C, mostly around -6C so cycling will be put on the back burner for the foreseeable future! I'm taking no chances and will be going for walks only, I love walking anyway and its going to be lovely most of the week but not for cycling! I really feel for you folks getting hammered with those insane lows, stay safe everyone!

Hate to say it, but it's hard to imagine that level of compliance in the US — even in the face of such an immanent threat.

This has has become the Land of Toxic Individualism. For a significant segment of our population, the notion that you'd make the slightest sacrifice to the common good outside of your own family or church group just doesn't compute anymore.

When I was studying Japanese geology, I learned that every citizen was expected to attend emergency preparedness classes and participate in all drills on a regular basis — mainly for earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic eruptions. Moreover, they were all expected to pitch in when disasters happen.

Compliance was close to 100%. Of course, the Japanese live with a level of geo-danger that most people can't comprehend. But I think there's an important cultural difference as well.
I get the feeling that many Albertans simply aren’t prepared for emergencies caused by natural disasters or weather-related events but they are concerned about how it could impact their lives in the immediate term. The threat of rolling outages during extreme frigid temperatures is a perfect example and likely was the reason for triggering such a quick public reaction province wide. It's difficult to know just how serious the alert was as we were receiving a boost of electricity from our neighbor province of Saskatchewan to see us through the shortage. Nevertheless, it didn’t sit well with folks here who were likely feeling uneasy about facing a potential threat that could leave them out in the cold albeit temporarily. Still, this incident sends a message out to all of us that we need to do more of the ‘little things’ to conserve electricity particularly during peak hours of usage.

My brother Jacek has really impressed me on this Sunday. Unbeknowst to me, he joined a morning MTB group ride with the Bike Stable, Kampinos National Park. He immediately joined the Performance Group 1. That group took no prisoners: They did not wait for any marauder, and there were hardly any stops. They were riding ice covered with heavy wet snow, climbed an improbable hill, and were zooming between the trees along the ridge. My brother made 75 km for the day, and described himself as "totally spent at the end of the ride" :) I asked him if other riders many any comments on his e-MTB: they only said it was a wonderful bike to climb hills when Jacek, like, flew onto the top of that hill :)

1705266309173.png

The North View.

I will never regret my decision to give the Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro to my brother. That e-bike would simply be wasted on me! :)

MY UPDATED POST #86.

Last edited:

i know what you mean Jeremy. It’s all to often that way today. I’m living in hope that I see signs of many younger people today pushing causes for the collective good.

When I was studying Japanese geology,
fascinating. Has your career been in Geology? It could be an amazing thread for you to analyse the geology of all the rides poeple post

2 degrees here in the UK and we've got a yellow weather warning for blanket snow interrupting travel

Most areas are to maybe get 2cm.
Yes, that's just over half an inch.

Back to Carlsbad yesterday after 12 bike-less days in the San Francisco East Bay on family business. That first glimpse of the Pacific from the southbound San Diego Freeway as you approach San Juan Capistano never fails to trigger an "Ahhhhh, home at last!"

With an hour of good light left after unloading the car, I rode to North Ponto for a much-needed beach fix. To my delight, the tide was low enough for a 5-mile beach ride!

20240114_163731.jpg
The tide-poolers were out in force at Terramar, my northern turnaround.

20240115_151115.jpg

Today, got in another 2 miles of beach riding at Cardiff with my neighbor D, who took this shot. It was his first time on a beach with his Aventon Level.2 (right). The stock tires did fine.

20230817_163254.jpg

To make sure my kickstand works on beach rides, I carry my greatest invention yet — the SandStand 9000.

20230817_163146.jpg

Cut from the bottom of a 28-ounce Gatorade bottle, the SandStand 9000 weighs nothing but has all the stiffness needed to prevent kickstand sinkage — even in the softest, driest sand.

20230817_163128.jpg

Last edited:
2 degrees here in the UK and we've got a yellow weather warning for blanket snow interrupting travel

Most areas are to maybe get 2cm.
Yes, that's just over half an inch.
You people are not used to snow, especially in England I think?

Denmark is another European country of a similar maritime climate. When there is a little bit of frost there, many Danish cars end up in roadside ditches with drivers patiently waiting for assistance 😊

The Windsor park ride, we stayed in travel lodge right near this incredible University, Royal Hollyway, the picture doesn't do it justice, it looks like something from a fantasy movie close up.
Screenshot_20240116-082152~2.png

This is Windsor Castle in the centre of the nearby town, its the oldest and largest continually lived in castle in the world and I think it's the official residence of the Royal family.
It was first built in the 11th century

Screenshot_20240116-082206~2.png

Anyway, the park, straight away you get a glimpse of the rules.
Screenshot_20240116-082229.png

A nice lake, but I was expecting something more grand, I don't know what, but it just seemed very ordinary.
Screenshot_20240116-082325.png

There is the most amazing children's play area, its like a small village built for a movie.
Screenshot_20240116-082403.png

I rode down the sandy horse paths for a laugh, only to be met with a sign.
No cycles on the horse paths.
Screenshot_20240116-082509.png

Two quid for a KitKat!!!
Screenshot_20240116-082530.png

The effect cold weather has on lithium batteries, it was minus 1 and I was struggling to keep up with these fit riders who were pushing a continuous 25mph.
The GoPro failed as well after I took off the wind protector because it was impossible to use with thick gloves
Screenshot_20240116-082550.png

More no cycling signs, they don't even let you push your bike.
London generally feels like sign world with added CCTV everywhere.
They should rename it 'DONT'.
Screenshot_20240116-082621.png

This is where I was in Windsor when they closed the roads around me, I thought it looked a bit empty.
Screenshot_20240116-082707.png

This copper was walking over to ask me to move my bike out of the road, I didn't realise there was a march coming around the corner.
Screenshot_20240116-082721.png

It was quieter than usual due to the road closure, the guards entire job is smiling for selfies and the vast majority of tourists here were Indian or Pakistani.
Screenshot_20240116-082753.png

There was a huge fire a few years back and it was so expensive to repair the Queen threw in a few quid herself.
Screenshot_20240116-082817.png

All in I was a bit underwhelmed by the park, a lot of it is just boring tarmac through empty fields, maybe it was all shut down for the winter.
16 quid to park for four hours, not that bad.
Hearing Landan accents everywhere was a reminder how far I was from home, but everyone is hyper polite and friendly.
Don't bother cycling it if you ever visit, you can't get to any of the good bits.

I rode down the sandy horse paths for a laugh, only to be met with a sign.
No cycles on the horse paths.
1705400472072.png

No horses on the bike paths. Near Viareggio, Tuscany, Italy.

I could see similar signs in several Polish Landscape Parks. Horses damage paths terribly. Where the horses/equestrians are admitted, you better do not ride in with a bike (unless it is a fat bike as yours CR!)

Back