2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Got 20 very windy but enjoyable miles in yesterday, but late in the day the weather pattern started changing and now the temps are going way down and we’re looking at the first real good snow event tomorrow. My Creo is leaning against the snowblower in the garage, and I have a feeling I know which one is coming out to play next.

1704476637914.png

I was hoping to get out this morning but thick fog descended so I had to sit it out and hope it would clear, thankfully it did so I set off just after midday without any planned route! With very little wind I could choose any direction and a temp of 6C meant there was no danger of any ice so the back roads were in play! Just as I left the house the sun made a rare appearance and amazingly it lasted the whole ride, this meant a ride NE was the way to go to avoid that bright sun! I took the back roads to Slamannan and I took this photo just before getting there, with the Campsie Hills shrouded in low cloud in the distance!

1704478544093.jpeg

From Slamannan I took the back road to Avonbridge, it starts with a big climb and then this awesome descent!

1704478632887.jpeg

At the bottom of the descent I decided to turn north and take the big climb up to Shieldhill, the descent I just came down can be seen to the left here!

1704478741084.jpeg

Just as I was about to start my way up the big climb I heard a proper racket, it was a massive flock of geese in the field! I decided not to try counting them... 😂

1704478856951.jpeg

I headed up the climb and turned for Shieldhill and got my first view of the Ochil Hills with the snow covered peaks of the mountains way in the distance!

1704478955508.jpeg

Then I enjoyed the big descent down into Glen Village, its a bit rough in parts but I still managed 41.5mph on the smoother part!

1704479096731.jpeg

I took this photo just before flying down the descent!

1704479153445.jpeg

Then I went through Hallglen where another fast descent was awaiting and continued on to Laurieston where I headed due east for Linlithgow, its been a while since I have used this road in this direction and I forgot how much fun it was as its mostly downhill all the way to Linlithgow! I decided to chance riding through the town and luckily it wasn't too busy, continuing east and I turned south at Kingscavil to take on a proper rollercoaster road!

1704479520172.jpeg

The last time I used this road I freewheeled in the other direction at almost 45mph, today was a different story as I was climbing the steep part! I used assist level 3 to tackle the climb and actually had to stop just before the top as a car appeared, its very narrow so you even have to pull over on the bike! As I set off again my summit software reported a climb of 425ft with an average grade of 29.9%! :eek: I think it was more like 20% though...I reached the top of the climb and turned west towards Beecraigs Country Park, where I had an amazing panoramic view!

The Ochil Hills were now much clearer and looked amazing bathed in the lovely sunshine!

1704480012189.jpeg

This is looking west into the valley where I would be arriving very soon after a very fast descent!

1704480097476.jpeg

The descent was amazing but is immediately followed by a huge climb up to the country park! Part way up I got another stunning view of the hills and the Firth of Forth in the distance!

1704480293658.jpeg

1704480307466.jpeg

Near the top of the climb I got an even better view with parts of the hills shrouded in low cloud!

1704480368734.jpeg

1704480385431.jpeg

The road levels off for a short time before rising up once more, then its another fast descent down into Torphicen! I stopped for this photo on the way down the descent!

1704480609689.jpeg

At Torphicen the descent continues towards Westfield, it was just amazing today with the light winds! I passed through Westfield and continued west towards Avonbridge and on to Limerigg where I passed the Black Loch which was flat calm today!

1704480778554.jpeg

1704480802448.jpeg

I wasn't sure how this photo would come out but I was pleasantly surprised with the result!

1704480877060.jpeg

From there its pretty much a direct road home and into the setting sun, for once I wanted some clouds to block the sun!😂 Another fantastic ride in near perfect conditions for the time of year, this was the last of the mild weather though with the temps not much above zero all next week! A Sunday ride is looking very doubtful with a blanket of freezing fog set to descend on us...

@Saratoga Dave You can always use the snowblower to clear a path for the Creo...:p

Attachments

• elevation_profile221.jpg
    elevation_profile221.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 38
  • trip-142670244-map-full221.png
    trip-142670244-map-full221.png
    431.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240105_142937.jpg
    20240105_142937.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240105_142941.jpg
    20240105_142941.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 43
Just as I was about to start my way up the big climb I heard a proper racket, it was a massive flock of geese in the field! I decided not to try counting them... 😂

I wasn't sure how this photo would come out but I was pleasantly surprised with the result!
That last shot's definitely a keeper. So is the one before.

The racket is just one of the Canada goose's many endearing qualities. In December and January, hundreds of them would come off the winter flyway to overnight on our idyllic little lake in SE Denver. The lake basin was like a whispering gallery, amplifying every conversation, power saw, hammer blow, and bad music choice on the shore.

With 400 geese on the water, it was deafening. On our first night of that cacophony after moving in, we were thinking, OMG, what have we done?? How will we sleep?

Fortunately, the noise would all but disappear once our visitors got settled in for the night — when the lake was ice-free, that is. The geese much preferred to sleep in the water on really cold nights. And when they only had two 20-foot circles of open water above the aerators to share, they squabbled over them all night.

20220106_170106.jpg

EDIT: Added this photo showing ducks in around an opening in the ice on our lake. Migrating Canada geese did the same, but in vastly greater numbers.

But not continuously. After a loud negotiation over who got to be in the water next, not a peep for about 2 hours. Then another loud negotiation would erupt for the next shift. Quite remarkable.

Within 2 weeks, we were sleeping right through it.

Last edited:
You know, for most of us, having the bike in the shop when it's snowing is considered "good timing" ...
I hear ya. I know many in my own hometown who would agree with you but then there are those of us (likely in the minority) who see biking as a must do winter activity especially when the conditions are ideal. I guess it's just not everyone's cup o tea.

GH010505 - frame at 1m12s.jpg
GH010624 - frame at 1m10s.jpg

GH011413_Moment(2).jpg
Heritage.jpg

1704484803459.jpeg

The more the merrier. 👍

337045227_1560528707691294_3661815531332585576_n.jpg
329168927_3535625933388194_6646613061837133788_n.jpg

I hear ya. I know many in my own hometown who would agree with you but then there are those of us (likely in the minority) who see biking as a must do winter activity especially when the conditions are ideal. I guess it's just not everyone's cup o tea.

View attachment 169148View attachment 169149

View attachment 169150View attachment 169151
View attachment 169155
The more the merrier. 👍

View attachment 169153View attachment 169152
Needs a clever tag line. I suggest "The few, the proud, the certified insane ", but that may just be me.

IMG_1399.JPG

Bad weather coming sent me out in the cold (30s) which is all I can stand. Ten local miles (I'm thinking of changing to KM to pad the stats), still riding with mostly one leg. I stopped at Ms. Hick's place to admire her stock. Some of those calves would look real good in my pasture...but Hicks has no worries...I no longer have a stock trailer.

View attachment 169189

Bad weather coming sent me out in the cold (30s) which is all I can stand. Ten local miles (I'm thinking of changing to KM to pad the stats), still riding with mostly one leg. I stopped at Ms. Hick's place to admire her stock. Some of those calves would look real good in my pasture...but Hicks has no worries...I no longer have a stock trailer.
Just rent one like our locals do if you're serious. If not, of course it's impossible to add more livestock w/o a trailer...

Been on a 100 km trip, staying for at least 8 hours outdoor at -3°C. It started snowing by the end of the ride!

First, I rode to Jacek, getting the tyres swapped for Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus (60 km). Then, I went for a grocery shopping (15 km). After that, I set off to buy the cigarettes I usually smoke (there is the Epiphany or Three Kings holiday on Saturday, and everything closed again!) The quest for R1 Slim took 25 km... 🤣

And we are going for a 100 km gravel group ride on Saturday 🤣

Goodnight!

Attachments

• 20240105_154332.jpg
    20240105_154332.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240105_204817.jpg
    20240105_204817.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 36
Oh my gosh, I love those last two shots of the whole outfit lined up and ready to go. Now THAT looks like a truly good time!
Yep, those guys and gals who form a group called the Shred Collective based out of Calgary, AB really know how to have fun. I haven’t joined them on a ride yet as many of their get togethers occur at night and would involve a longish drive to the trailheads and back for me.

417140263_10168811265690454_5840425636665151372_n.jpg

413868079_10159506852726269_3783959773555680124_n.jpg

Needs a clever tag line. I suggest "The few, the proud, the certified insane ", but that may just be me.
It might seem crazy at first blush riding at temps below freezing and in snow covered or icy conditions but improved gear and equipment are making it much easier. And you don’t have to spend a lot of coin on a bike. My first two years of winter riding were on a vintage Trek rigid mtb with studded tires that were handed down to me by my brother-in-law. I managed adequately riding the streets that were often cleared but really yearned to ride offroad as I watched the local fat bikers blaze trails from a distance. I often wondered how I managed to do it on my old Trek compared to the beasts of today. With that said, I’ve made a point not to go out when the mercury dips below -15C anymore as I find that my body doesn’t manage heat as well as it used to even in proper layered attire. I’ll reserve your tag line for those who commute to work or just ride recreationally in extremely frigid conditions. 🥶

I'm thinking of changing to KM to pad the stats
Guilty as charged. ;)

Last edited:
Regarding those Charolais calves…I meant to imply ‘rustling’, an American custom since the 1800s. I believe some of the old boys from Orange Livestock years ago were experienced in this dark art.
BTW…the fellow I have been getting my calves from the last few years actually buys from Miz Hicks…I might inquire

TrailForks chooses the top 10 Mountain Bike Trails in the World!

Number one? Glad you asked, because it’s here in the Kootenays 20 miles from my house. The secret is out. The Kaptain Kangaroo trail in Castlegar BC is number 1 In da World! There goes the neighborhood!

Mazovian Gravel Epiphany Snowy Group Ride

As I wrote my latest post at 6:10 am on Saturday, I was not sure the planned group ride would happen at all. Encouraged by an early message from Rudy (he wrote the snow looked rideable) and by my brother (Jacek was urgently swapping the wheels on his Trance E+ for the Ice Spiker Pro set), I decided to give it a go. If I could ride my Vado to the nearest train stop (4 km), I would be able to make the group ride! A word about the clothing. This time, I wore a skiing jacket, Softshell trousers, and electrically heated socks! As I indeed could ride to the Parzniew station, I got on the train to meet the two guys who are the Mazovian Gravel, my brother, and even the guy who kicked me out of my (now defunct) cycling club. The latter helped me get my heavy e-bike onto the train and we even high-fived :)

1704613433568.png

A decent group of riders (some 30 people in total as I counted later) gathered at the Walczewski Ponds, where we started the ride. See Jacek with his ISP equipped Trance E+in the foreground. It was snowing all the time!

It was -3 C all the time, the wind was on our side. The urban and suburban surfaces were covered with rideable snow, ice, and slush. As we went on a series of bike paths along the 579 (I was riding with the stragglers), Rudy intercepted us and said the group leaders decided to skip the technically demanding "Grzymek loop" (per my own recommendation to Rudy!) and instead would ride a very short gravel Adamów-Parcel segment. I had my own plan ready: skipped that segment altogether and waited for the riders by the 579 to intercept them...

1704609855899.png

Happy riders :)

1704609958020.png

My brother (wearing yellowish gloves and goggles) had the bike the best fitting the conditions: A Giant Trance E+ on Ice Spiker Pros.

1704610108386.png

Rudy "Redhead" (right, black helmet) was the soul of the ride!

The off-road ride was technically difficult. Even if my Vado was equipped with the excellent Marathon Winter Plus 50 mm tyres, I was extremely careful and slow. You simply couldn't see what was under the snow and ice! Potholes, ruts, occasional sand or rough stone were invisible, and it was so easy to crash! I followed the traces of the riders who crossed the trail ahead of me. Sometimes the whole group lost the track and had to negotiate the forest!

1704610635577.png

Yes, there were several stragglers on the group. Gravel group rides are never predictable. Some riders choose alternative trails, stop/restart, to later appear behind your back. I tried to be the last rider but occasionally met the same people over and over :) Here, crossing a bridge over river Korabiewka.

1704610820202.png

As soon as I took this picture (the Korabiewka on the left), three late-comers more passed me by! :)

The Nectar of The Gods
The stop on the Korabiewka bridge was my longest one. I reached to the water bottle... and nothing flowed down! I unscrewed the bottle cover and looked inside. The sports drink was half frozen! :D I gulped what remained fluid. That icy drink felt like the nectar of the gods!

Stray Dogs

1704610917713.png

As I was pedalling alone among the fields (now, I could feel the cross-wind!), I reached a small settlement. A big dog was laying in the snow... It looked... interestingly. As I dramatically slowed down (any way of quick escaping the threat was unfeasible: you could not ride fast there), I was trying to go around the dog. Now, another nasty mongrel appeared to my left and started barking! I was watching the big dog... which lazily rose up and left the scene :D (I was later told the big dog was more aggressive towards the people who rode there before; it probably got very tired) :D

1704611730199.png

Very high rolling resistance and the frost took the toll on the battery charge. I was wondering whether I would be forced to swap if for the fresh one on the trail...

1704611866495.png

That was very funny! There is a forest road marked as "A forest road allowed for the traffic. This way to Ruda" followed with a DEAD-END roadsign. Why? The railroad people have permanently barred the railroad crossing! (I could see padlocks securing the barriers). Crossing the railroad was not simple, and it was really dangerous!

1704612067954.png

I tried smiling but was too concerned about the riding safety!

As the battery charge dropped down to 5%, I was already in Skierniewice-Rawka by the "Ice Cream Land" (closed due to the holiday we call the Three Kings Day). Friendly local people told me a Little Frog store nearby was open. I swapped the battery for the fresh one, and met the stragglers by the store! Had a big cup of hot chocolate and now our little group pedalled towards the train stop.

1704612308077.png

My buddies felt so cold they could not operate their smartphones to buy the tickets in the app with their frozen fingers! (They went to the conductor to buy tickets). There was eight of us on the return train including a couple who constantly tried to cheat by choosing alternate route; those were the last on the finish line but nobody dropped the ride!

1704613153501.png

My Vado original battery was good for the total of 56 km at 40% of the full assistance. I rode for 64 km (40 mi) on that day.

The main group planned a 100 km trip. Eventually, they reached Nieborów, ate there and returned to Skierniewice the shortest possible way with the total distance of 83 km. The general comment was: "Our feet were freezing out! We have to review the various feet warmers as recommended by Stefan Mikes!" :D

What a day.

Last edited:
Good one @Stefan Mikes .
I don't have snow and gang of ebikers I ride solo.
I have no experience riding on snow and cold temps.
Thanks for the beautiful photos you all.
We are only on 1st week of the year and this thread is on 2nd page.
Happy New Year!!!!
I miss David Barry most, Amongst all the members whom fell off the threads.

Just to tell you I've finished a 2 x 21 km ride to/from Klimatyczna Cafe. -9 C (16 F), wind 15 km/h from NE. Average speed above 24 km/h. A good workout! Even if wearing proper clothes for the weather, I had to be continuously pedalling during the ride to keep my body warm. Electrically heated socks are a miracle!

Two photos from yesterday's ride:

1704636675862.png

This is the kind of the clothes I wear. I could have pulled skiing trousers on for today!

1704636765627.png

This is how I look like from the rear pedalling in the winter time. A fat ass! :D

Both photos courtesy of Rudy.

Last edited:
Back