2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

A great write-up Jason! Thank you!

You have used 68% with the reference to the 320 Wh battery, which is 0.68 * 320 = 217.6 Wh. At least in theory. What assistance modes were you riding in? (Your battery consumption factor of 7.8 Wh/km was pretty high, and similar to a full power e-bike; I attribute it to your hills, hard terrain, and pretty a low temperature).

You could. I recommend you ride with the RE though (unless you want to shave a kilogram or so off the e-bike weight). There are several good reasons to use the RE:
  • As you use both batteries, there will be a smaller number on recharge cycles on both of them, resulting in a better longevity;
  • The combined power of both batteries used in parallel gives you a very good power delivery even if both batteries are at the low charge level;
  • In case you need to use Sport or Turbo, each of the batteries needs to deliver less current to meet your assistance demand, which is good for the batteries;
  • You never know what awaits you on your trail. Say, you need to return home very fast (in Turbo) because of the weather breakdown?
I recommend you ride on both batteries until you gain experience. My own experience is both batteries in average SL assistance of 55/55% under warm weather and flatter terrain than yours are good for 116 km, which is far far more than your first long trip.

Enjoy!
Thanks for you insight Stefan. I follow your rationale wrt the battery consumption calculation and realized where I had made a mistake.

I can see you have calculated 7.8WH/km based on the Specialized app distance of 27.85km. However the app lost connection or paused half way through the ride. The stats however seem to get captured and the end of the ride but without the full distance registered. Im a bit skeptical about what the Specialized App (can I say Spapp) is saying. The actual distance travelled was 57.2km per the Komoot gps trace in the first picture.

I think this would put my consumption closer to 3.8WH/km

I was in eco 35/35 for the whole ride.

However, if I say the last 12km was downhill through the city, but with with a fair number of stops for junctions and traffic lights; I could take maybe 10km of the total and say 47km which would take the journey to about 4.6WH/km

Given I was riding in ECO the whole way, do you think I should be concerned my battery capacities may not be as advertised?

Thanks

@jason.flood I loved reading your report Jason, it was very well written. You are lucky to live so close to the Pentlands, they are so beautiful! Its very different to my rides but I'm sure it was tons of fun! 👍

@Chargeride What a video, truly stunning!👌
Thanks @RabH. The few of your reports I read have inspired me to get out further west of Edinburgh. I used to commute daily, by car to Livingston, so West Lothian was not a place I associated with beautiful scenery (even thought I absolutely know it it full of wonderful places) I need to disassociate from the A71 and M8. 😊

I think this would put my consumption closer to 3.8WH/km

I was in eco 35/35 for the whole ride.
These are the correct figures! Also your explanation of the 4.6 Wh/km sounds plausible. (You will notice how the battery range increases when you ride in really warm conditions!)
Given I was riding in ECO the whole way, do you think I should be concerned my battery capacities may not be as advertised?
Everything's OK!

Besides, I have never trusted either MC or Spapp for ride recording, and rely on other tools such as Wahoo (and I used Strava app on smartphone before). Your 47 km is a nice distance as for a winter hilly ride!

These are the correct figures! Also your explanation of the 4.6 Wh/km sounds plausible. (You will notice how the battery range increases when you ride in really warm conditions!)

Everything's OK!

Besides, I have never trusted either MC or Spapp for ride recording, and rely on other tools such as Wahoo (and I used Strava app on smartphone before). Your 47 km is a nice distance as for a winter hilly ride!
Thanks for the re-assurance. I shall do a couple of reference rides on predicable surfaces to get a feel of how consumption changes as the weather improves 🤞

All these snow photos made me think a ride in the Aus Ski fields might be a good idea

20240111_202803.jpeg
20240111_195951.jpeg

1704996530150.png

I was looking forward to a ride tomorrow, with light winds forecast and only a 10% chance of rain it was looking promising! I had a doctors appointment at 11.30 this morning and when I got home I decided to check the forecast again and it had completely changed, with fog and mist and a 20% chance of rain...

With the weather today being half decent, I decided to head out after lunch and set off around 12.30pm! There was a chilly NE wind blowing and it was around 20mph, thankfully it was 4C so no ice around which meant I could take the back roads again! I had a route in mind but it was scuppered a short time after I left, I was heading down past my old high school and got to the bottom of the hill to find road closed signs and was pretty miffed there was no warning at the top of the road! :rolleyes: The most annoying thing is there is a cracking back road right where the road was closed but it has been closed for months for some reason, so I had no choice but to turn back and climb back up the hill...

At the end of the road I turned east for Plains and immediately turned south up the back road past the Blackhill transmitters, its a beast of a climb and the road was caked in mud but no traffic whatsoever! I reached the end of the road and turned east again and just 10 miles in I had already climbed 1000ft! Thankfully I now had a 5 mile descent to Harthill, normally I get close to 40mph down this descent but today I couldn't even touch 30mph into that biting wind!

I passed Polkemmet Country Park and turned south to take the road through Longridge, another big climb but its quickly followed by a lovely fast descent with the wind almost at my back here so that was a real blast! I turned east again to go through Stoneyburn and although it was into the headwind again its a nice 5 mile gradual descent! I continued on to West Calder where I turned SW and then south towards Forth, now it was a 5 mile climb which starts about 560ft and reaches 1100ft at the summit but I had that lovely tailwind now!

After reaching the top of the climb I had another cracking descent, just before reaching Forth I turned on to the back road to Braehead which is another of my favourite roads with sweeping turns and descents for a few miles! Then its a big climb up through Braehead which is quickly followed by another awesome fast descent down into Carnwath! 39.6mph down this one, its another amazing road all the way down to Carnwath! I didn't actually pass through the village though as I turned west here for Carluke, another big climb which passes through Kilncadzow and then a cracking descent into Carluke! The road through Carluke starts with another fast descent, I hit 40.1mph on this one! The speed limit is actually 40mph...😂

I then turned north to take the Carluke to Morningside road where the back road to Allanton was still closed, but it meant another 2 big descents to enjoy down into Morningside! From here I turned NE into the headwind again and up another big climb towards Allanton, from there I took the big climb up the back road to Hareshaw! Then down into Newhouse and a turn to the north for home through Chapelhall just before the rush hour! This is a very busy road so I was glad I made it before the traffic was manic, for this reason I didn't take any photos today as I knew I would be pushed for time!

I really got my mojo back today and was flying along, it was such a brilliant ride despite the road closures! January is proving a fruitful month so far with 245 miles covered already, only 307 in December due to the awful weather! There's a really cold spell coming with a possibility of some snow showers but any chance I get I will take it!

@DaveMatthews I know you mentioned 4C wasn't a nice temp for riding, today it was 4C with a windchill around -2C but I had such a great ride and never really felt the cold! Heated gloves and lots of thin layers and a skull cap to keep my head warm made it very enjoyable! The skull cap can be worn under your helmet and is way more comfortable than a balaclava, it keeps your ears nice and warm and your bonce of course!;)

We seem to have a true Winter in Poland this January. After sitting at home/office for 3 days, I had to take my Vado 6.0 for a morning ride to do an emergency grocery shopping at nearer stores. The morning temperature was -7 C and it was windy with light snowing (the most of roads except smaller streets were almost black). The grocery shopping was successful but it turned out my very specific cigarettes (0.1 mg nicotine R1 Slim) were unavailable in the whole greater neighbourhood (I was making phone calls to several places to no avail). The staff at my favourite service station (4 km away) told me I could give them a phone call after the noon, which I did.

Yes, the temperature rose to -4 C, the wind changed direction and blew stronger, and there was a stronger snowfall, too :) Yes, I got a carton of my cigarettes!

For the next several days the day temperature is expected to oscillate between -2..0 C and a lot of snow is forecast. My fridge and pantry are now well stocked, and I would only be riding if I find the conditions allow safe rides!

1705001624096.png

1705001652415.png

Your typical mild winter in Poland's Central Mazovia. Bottom picture: snowing. 16.5 km ridden today.

P.S. While Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus tyres hold very well, I'm riding rather slowly and very carefully. Enough crashes in my life! (4th e-biking winter of mine).

The nights are getting lighter, slowly but surely. 🥳
Yes indeed, not so long ago it was dark at 4pm so its very welcome!

I forgot to mention I was passed by a fat bike today, I was nudging 20mph with the tailwind on the flat and he sailed past me like I was standing still...the guy was turning the pedals for show only I think as he was turning the pedals in slow motion! I thought to myself "what is Chargeride doing in West Calder" 😂

What I’d give for a ride in weather like that at the moment

We've had 4 major flood events in the last 2 months, most of our trails are saturated ( at least by Australian standards) , and I had to pick a 4 day window between storms just to get a chance to ride the Alps with my kids during summer holidays.

BUT I'M NOT COMPLAINING !!! It's pure luxury to be up in the alps over summer and not be worried about bush fires!

Having said that, I fried my brakes twice in 2 days! ( sram 4 pots, lever to bar - despite a recent bleed and pad replacement) . 30 degrees C and fast , groomed trails. Sunset was 8.30 pm, sunrise before 6 am - we were back down the trails for one last run at 7.30 am, then four hours driving through the hills to get home...

20240111_200606.jpeg
down hill ...

You are not alone @Prairie Dog! Here's a video posted by my cycling buddy Alfer who filmed himself riding ice on the ponds in our neighbourhood. You will certainly recognise the Ice Spiker Pro tyres 😊

Alfer is an avid gravel and road cyclist. Only recently I realised his winter bike was an MTB!

He had 365 active ride days in 2023 and rode for over 18,000 km!

Last edited:
I'm in the Great Windsor Park near London, firstly omg....
sooooo many people, its also freakin freezin and I planned a route through it only to find it's mostly no cycling or private, even no pushing your bike.

I nipped over to see Windsor Castle and I'm filming the barracks and they closed the roads around me, armed police asked me to put my bike against the railings, I'm like OK?
Then a small military parade came around the corner.

Very quaint.

You are not alone @Prairie Dog! Here's a video posted by my cycling buddy Alfer who filmed himself riding ice on the ponds in our neighbourhood. You will certainly recognise the Ice Spiker Pro tyres 😊

Alfer is an avid gravel and road cyclist. Only recently I realised his winter bike was an MTB!

He had 365 active ride days in 2023 and rode for over 18,000 km!
18k! Only in my dreams. Ice riding aside, I don’t think that I could ever ride that much given the cards that I’m dealt. However, let it be known that I don’t think anyone in their right mind would be riding here over the past week and this morning is of no exception. It's painful just stepping outside and it doesn’t appear that things will improve significantly for a while yet. I guess that it’s payback for the month of warm conditions that we received in December.

Web capture_13-1-2024_85754_www.theweathernetwork.com.jpeg

18k! Only in my dreams. Ice riding aside, I don’t think that I could ever ride that much given the cards that I’m dealt. However, let it be known that I don’t think anyone in their right mind would be riding here over the past week and this morning is of no exception. It's painful just stepping outside and it doesn’t appear that things will improve significantly for a while yet. I guess that it’s payback for the month of warm conditions that we received in December.

View attachment 169579
Yeah... I woke up to -15C here, but that's embarrassing compared to what you guys are experiencing.

Back