2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

The wind was insane here but thankfully a direct headwind, I'm sure it was more than 40mph on this exposed road and even used assist level 4 which I very seldom use! At least the climbing was all but over until I reached my home town, I'm really glad I decided to chance it and enjoyed the ride despite those winds and didn't encounter any precipitation at all!
Level 3 sounded awesome enough but level 4 sounds somewhat “Spinal Tap” esque for anyone the remembers that film. 😂

Seriously though, 30k is such an amazing achievement Rab, and a real attestation for Giant. I’m sure there have been lots of parts replaced over the years, but are you still on your original motor?

Was the Vado drone shot speeded up?
It was not! Bear in mind, Vado 6.0 is a 45 km/h (28 mph) e-bike, and I rode pretty fast!
The drone was operated by my friend (a University professor) who is a harder cyclist than I am!

1705712760680.png

He made 13,000 km on his road and hybrid bikes in 2023.

1705712852391.png

It was on my e-bike trip to Toruń. Bogusław took me to the Teutonic Castle of Birglau (Zamek Bierzgłowski) on that day. He is a good photographer and an avid drone videographer. (13th of May 2023.)

The video you mentioned.

Level 3 sounded awesome enough but level 4 sounds somewhat “Spinal Tap” esque for anyone the remembers that film. 😂

Seriously though, 30k is such an amazing achievement Rab, and a real attestation for Giant. I’m sure there have been lots of parts replaced over the years, but are you still on your original motor?
Still on the original motor Jason, I did have 2 bearings replaced at 14000 miles which I'm sure was down to riding in awful winter conditions! I asked the company to do a complete overhaul but when they stripped it down it was in perfect condition aside from the 2 bearings! Over 16000 miles since I had the motor repaired and its smooth as butter 👍 I've only had a handful of problems since I bought the bike, the rear wheel bearings failed after just 4500 miles and my evo display had to be replaced after an app update bricked it!

Thankfully it was still under warranty then, I don't bother touching the app now other than to change the assist levels ocassionally! The only other problems were a faulty power switch which I replaced myself and one day I had problems with the bike cutting out which was down to the monsoon weather a couple of days before, I got caught in a massive hail shower in the middle of nowhere! 😂 I kept the bike indoors for a few days to dry it off properly and it never happened again! I won't list all the chains, brake pads and the like as its a very long list...🤣

@DaveMatthews Thanks mate, I'm not quite there yet though but very close!;)

Still on the original motor Jason, I did have 2 bearings replaced at 14000 miles which I'm sure was down to riding in awful winter conditions! I asked the company to do a complete overhaul but when they stripped it down it was in perfect condition aside from the 2 bearings! Over 16000 miles since I had the motor repaired and its smooth as butter 👍 I've only had a handful of problems since I bought the bike, the rear wheel bearings failed after just 4500 miles and my evo display had to be replaced after an app update bricked it!

Thankfully it was still under warranty then, I don't bother touching the app now other than to change the assist levels ocassionally! The only other problems were a faulty power switch which I replaced myself and one day I had problems with the bike cutting out which was down to the monsoon weather a couple of days before, I got caught in a massive hail shower in the middle of nowhere! 😂 I kept the bike indoors for a few days to dry it off properly and it never happened again! I won't list all the chains, brake pads and the like as its a very long list...🤣

@DaveMatthews Thanks mate, I'm not quite there yet though but very close!;)
I find it really reassuring that it is possible that relatively new technology can last. The distance. It had been a bit of a worry for me that something like a motor failing after 5-6 years could lead to a bike starting to become not worth economically repairing - when the tech move on and new parts become scarce.

Now it have the bike though I try not to worry about such things.

Tea In Warsaw's Old Town & Into The Blizzard!

A married couple of my old friends (but younger by 20 years than I am) from a distant city of Suwałki (Sudovia) arrived in Warsaw on Friday to attend some punk rock gig. I really wanted to shortly meet them on Saturday but as I was halfway into my Vado 6.0 ride, they called me, explained they had too a good party the night before, and the meeting was cancelled :) As I do love tea (perhaps because I do not make it at home often), I decided to continue to Warsaw's Old Town to visit a tea-room called Same Fusy (Only Tea Grounds), which is located adjacent to two premium craft-beer pubs (all owned by the same person). The ride was with tailwind, nice and uneventful. I was mostly riding with traffic with occasional use of those bike paths that were cleared (not many of them exist is Warsaw!) It was a great pleasure to be zooming through the very centre of the City by roads!

1705771521176.png

In Nowy Świat (New World), a prestigious promenade of Warsaw. Now, all the traffic has been cut off from that street; let's see what the future holds! (Bikes are allowed there).

1705771627736.png

A little fuzzy photo of Krakowskie Przedmieście (Cracow Suburb), another promenade, with the traffic also disallowed now.

1705771712862.png

I think my smartphone camera has had enough (it is hard to make a sharp picture with it now!) The Castle Square in the background: The Sigismund III Column, the Cathedral, a huge Christmas tree, the Royal Castle. The tower seen at the right is the belfry of St. Anna church.

1705771886569.png

Ul. Dawna (Ancient Str) that leads to a panorama of the river Vistula.

1705771948996.png

Old Town Square. The Mermaid statue is now surrounded by a skating rink. (We have several Mermaids in Warsaw!) :)

1705772066108.png

The gate to the New Town Cafe (ground level) and the Same Fusy tea-room (cellar). You can see the first of the two craft-beer pubs just behind.

1705772151672.png

As I am inexperienced with tea-rooms. I ordered "Tsarina Tea Made in a Samovar" :) It was a mix of black tea with some white tea. I was expected to drink tea the Russian way, that is to put a sugar lump into my mouth and drink tea through it. I must have drunk almost a litre of tea and that sugar lump had not dissolved fully yet!

The real Russian way of drinking tea is somewhat different (the part with the sugar lump kept in the mouth holds true). Actually, you should pour tea onto the saucer and drink tea from the saucer. I am deadly serious: it is the traditional Russian way! However, it would be shame on me if I did it the full Russian way :) So I was drinking tea from the cup like we all do!

1705772751284.png

I had a big issue to secure my Roadrunner prior to visiting the tea-room. You simply will not find a proper post in the Old Town. I could find a hook in one of the walls. I used the alarmed U-lock the way the potential thief would need to try hard to remove my e-bike; to make the things even harder, I removed both Wahoo and the e-bike battery from my ride. Of course no thief would even appear at that weather but leaving the e-bike completely loose would be a stupid thing to do! As I left the tea-room, I was confronted with a very strong wind and... snowing! Ooh-oh! As I made 27 km in 30% assistance to get to the Krzywe Koło (Warped Wheel) -- see part of the street pictured -- as I had to use 60% assistance on the way back!

1705773150255.png

As I was riding cobblestones of Długa (Long Str.) and reached the Krasińskis' Square it was already snowing. The Krasińskis' Palace is on the left. The greenish portal and the building at the right belong to the Supreme Court. (Can you notice diminished visibility?)

1705773317963.png

A full blown blizzard started developing already in Warsaw. I took no chances: with a blizzard imminent, you must pedal very fast to get home as soon as possible or you could be stuck in the snowdrift! I simply took principal streets and roads riding with traffic. No single driver honked at me. A police patrol with a speed radar simply ignored me. I was trying to get home soon! Pictured: Highway #92, once a principal artery Warsaw - Poznań - (Berlin). Now, the road has lost its significance, being replaced by the freeway A2.

1705773623857.png

Almost at home, short of the sunset.

1705773674509.png

At last 400 m. Our local street covered by fresh but rideable snow.

Did I say I was returning upwind? :) Yes, I rode right into that blizzard!

1705774049225.png

51 km in 2 h 34 min.

1705774386858.png

A more detailed map.

Last edited:
A bitter air mass gripping the country for more than a week brought about some of the coldest temperatures and most dangerous wind chills we’ve seen in years. Now that the dreaded polar vortex appears to be losing its tenacious grip, I can, once again, look forward to enjoying winter rides in relative comfort. ‘Warmth’ is relative in January, of course, but there’s no denying that more favorable days and evenings are on the way. It was still a brisk -18C wind chill on yesterday’s ride but once I entered the confines of the forest, the wind was less of a factor.

I started out later in the day as I made the 5km ride out to the trail head.

GH013102 - frame at 1m17s.jpg

This section along the Ranch Trail’s inner loop usually takes on the appearance that it’s been snowing here for weeks when in fact it’s only been a few days.

PXL_20240120_212310061.jpg

The trail at times narrows in many spots and even with 4.5” fat tires, it can be difficult trying to stay in the center of the singletrack which is barely visible at times.

VID_20240120_142653_00_019 - frame at 0m26s.jpg

A couple of XC skiers cut their own tracks through the powder on Mitchell Pond. I watched them for a few minutes as they struggled in the deep snow up the distant hill.

PXL_20240120_213143831.jpg

PXL_20240120_213156876.jpg

Besides the skiers and this lone soul, I was amazed that no one else was out on this very popular trail particularly it being a weekend.

VID_20240120_143910_00_021 - frame at 1m57s.jpg

There's nothing quite like a pine scented trail. 🌲🤗

VID_20240120_145238_00_023 - frame at 1m1s.jpg

VID_20240120_141454_00_017(2) - frame at 0m4s.jpg

Despite it being another overcast day, I was delighted in the fact that it was also the beginning of well-deserved warming trend that will hopefully stick around for a while which I’m sure many Albertans will anxiously be looking forward to.

PXL_20240120_220044508.jpg

PXL_20240120_214729932.jpg

GH013102 - frame at 0m55s.jpg

My 45North bike boots specific for winter riding have performed beyond expectations. Rated to -20C, I don’t think there will be many days if any like that when they will be called into action.

PXL_20240120_224303305.jpg

Last edited:
road cycling to: ATM

Only Komoot could invent such a silly route name! :D The app decided I needed a fairly long ride just to use an ATM in Leszno MZ :)

I just want to tell you about a crash I experienced on this Sunday's ride.

1705869596582.png

1705869646586.png

The temperature was oscillating around the freezing point today. Most roads were either cleared or the snow could already melt. However, I met some snowdrifts (leftovers from the snowstorm of yesterday). There, I should have switched to the other lane immediately before riding into the snowdrift (and hope any drivers on both sides would let me ride through the segment) but it was too late! My Vado started zig-zagging and I fell into the soft snow. It was perhaps the softest crash I experienced ever! No pain at all, only the rear-view mirror changed its position (Mirrycles can be easily adjusted), and the left Innerbarend turned onto the horizontal for good! (I need to adjust it yet).

I reached Klimatyczna Cafe for cake, coffee and tea (the ATM Komoot "thought" about was just adjacent to the cafe). I did not feel well on that day at all, so was praying to manage the ride and return home before the sunset. Even if it was slightly warmer than it was in the previous weeks, and the wind was not that strong, I felt cold and miserable!

1705870485844.png

Judging by the distance, it does not matter whether I ride to Warsaw or to Leszno. Perhaps it is the time to explore more of Warsaw's cafes? :)

My buddy Alfer was on a snowy and icy ride north of Warsaw. Despite his MTB being equipped with Ice Spiker Pros, he crashed there, too. We both decided deep snow was good for making snowmen but not for riding! (Unless you are @Prairie Dog with his fat e-bike!)

We both decided deep snow was good for making snowmen but not for riding! (Unless you are @Prairie Dog with his fat e-bike!)
Good on you for braving the elements Stefan and the goggles seem to be doing their job. 👍 Sorry to hear about your fall but glad you managed to come out of it unscathed. You’re lucky that you have more than your share of fair-weather days on your side of the pond so that at least you’re able to log decent km on your rides. Meanwhile, I have to endure another two months of winter before I can even consider pulling out my road bike.

That being said, I know that there are and will be days during the remainder of the long wintry season when man, machine and Mother Nature sync in perfect harmony. Yesterday was close but I know we can do even better.

We really need some Southern Hemisphere folk here to get on and complain about the magpies Amidst the tropical foliage

A bitter air mass gripping the country for more than a week brought about some of the coldest temperatures and most dangerous wind chills we’ve seen in years. Now that the dreaded polar vortex appears to be losing its tenacious grip, I can, once again, look forward to enjoying winter rides in relative comfort. ‘Warmth’ is relative in January, of course, but there’s no denying that more favorable days and evenings are on the way. It was still a brisk -18C wind chill on yesterday’s ride but once I entered the confines of the forest, the wind was less of a factor.

I started out later in the day as I made the 5km ride out to the trail head.

View attachment 170032

This section along the Ranch Trail’s inner loop usually takes on the appearance that it’s been snowing here for weeks when in fact it’s only been a few days.

View attachment 170033

The trail at times narrows in many spots and even with 4.5” fat tires, it can be difficult trying to stay in the center of the singletrack which is barely visible at times.

View attachment 170034

A couple of XC skiers cut their own tracks through the powder on Mitchell Pond. I watched them for a few minutes as they struggled in the deep snow up the distant hill.

View attachment 170035
View attachment 170036

Besides the skiers and this lone soul, I was amazed that no one else was out on this very popular trail particularly it being a weekend.

View attachment 170038

There's nothing quite like a pine scented trail. 🌲🤗

View attachment 170039
View attachment 170041

Despite it being another overcast day, I was delighted in the fact that it was also the beginning of well-deserved warming trend that will hopefully stick around for a while which I’m sure many Albertans will anxiously be looking forward to.

View attachment 170043
View attachment 170046
View attachment 170042
View attachment 170044

My 45North bike boots specific for winter riding have performed beyond expectations. Rated to -20C, I don’t think there will be many days if any like that when they will be called into action.

View attachment 170045

Thanks for sharing your excellent report and looks like you are an outlier because -20'C is quite cold even for experienced riders.

Only Komoot could invent such a silly route name! :D The app decided I needed a fairly long ride just to use an ATM in Leszno MZ :)

View attachment 170051
View attachment 170052

The temperature was oscillating around the freezing point today. Most roads were either cleared or the snow could already melt. However, I met some snowdrifts (leftovers from the snowstorm of yesterday). There, I should have switched to the other lane immediately before riding into the snowdrift (and hope any drivers on both sides would let me ride through the segment) but it was too late! My Vado started zig-zagging and I fell into the soft snow. It was perhaps the softest crash I experienced ever! No pain at all, only the rear-view mirror changed its position (Mirrycles can be easily adjusted), and the left Innerbarend turned onto the horizontal for good! (I need to adjust it yet).

I reached Klimatyczna Cafe for cake, coffee and tea (the ATM Komoot "thought" about was just adjacent to the cafe). I did not feel well on that day at all, so was praying to manage the ride and return home before the sunset. Even if it was slightly warmer than it was in the previous weeks, and the wind was not that strong, I felt cold and miserable!

View attachment 170053
Judging by the distance, it does not matter whether I ride to Warsaw or to Leszno. Perhaps it is the time to explore more of Warsaw's cafes? :)

My buddy Alfer was on a snowy and icy ride north of Warsaw. Despite his MTB being equipped with Ice Spiker Pros, he crashed there, too. We both decided deep snow was good for making snowmen but not for riding! (Unless you are @Prairie Dog with his fat e-bike!)
That looks lethal, I hate riding that type of grooved frozed slush, the only good thing is you slide when you fall, but you can cut your skin on that stuff

Another Storm, we called it Isha.
Not as strong as Pia even though the papers are bigging it up, when for a spin in the dunes, the wet sand wasnt blowing as much but it was twice as bad when it did, the weight of it hitting your face!.

Screenshot_20240122-051315.png

The weirdest effect with the blowing sand is I slowed down to adjust my goggles and I couldn't work out what speed I was doing, there was no reference point, I thought I was still doing 20mph, but I had stopped and I fell off the bike because I was too scared to put my foot into what looked liked fast moving ground.

Screenshot_20240122-051425.png

You can just see a guy with two dogs, they were just constantly trying to bite the blowing sand, jumping in the air over and over again, he look demented trying to stop them.

That looks lethal, I hate riding that type of grooved frozed slush, the only good thing is you slide when you fall, but you can cut your skin on that stuff
It is indeed a nasty surface as it stops the wheels rolling! However, I was fully clad in proper clothes, the speed was low, and I didn't even bang the road with my helmet. It still remains a mystery for me why the Innerbarend has rotated forward and got stuck in that position.

Not as strong as Pia even though the papers are bigging it up, when for a spin in the dunes, the wet sand wasnt blowing as much but it was twice as bad when it did, the weight of it hitting your face!.
Scary, scary, scary!

Thanks for sharing your excellent report and looks like you are an outlier because -20'C is quite cold even for experienced riders.
Thanks Ravi. Coming from you that means a lot. I’m sure that you folks see your share of snow and cold as well since coastal weather is known to be unpredictable throughout the year. We do see a fair amount of sun during the coldest months which does help boost one’s mental well being particularly on those really nasty days. I try not to ride when the mercury plummets below -15C these days and it’s just as well since the rating for my tolerance towards cold feet is slightly lower than what it is for my boots. ;)

View attachment 170081
The weirdest effect with the blowing sand is I slowed down to adjust my goggles and I couldn't work out what speed I was doing, there was no reference point, I thought I was still doing 20mph, but I had stopped and I fell off the bike because I was too scared to put my foot into what looked liked fast moving ground.

View attachment 170082
You can just see a guy with two dogs, they were just constantly trying to bite the blowing sand, jumping in the air over and over again, he look demented trying to stop them.
The eye of the storm wasn't due to hit until well into the evening and boy did it hit, there was a gust reported 3 miles from me at Salsburgh which hit 84mph! I'm pretty sure that was the one that lifted one of my ridge tiles and deposited it on my path in about 10 pieces, thankfully that was the only damage so we got off very lightly! 2 people died after hitting fallen trees sadly, one in County Londonderry in Northern Ireland and one close to home in Grangemouth!:( It was chaos throughout the country! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68053009

View attachment 170051
View attachment 170052

View attachment 170053

Do you really need to cycle >50km round trip to find an ATM @Stefan Mikes ?

Do you really need to cycle >50km round trip to find an ATM @Stefan Mikes ?
Hahaha! Due to a rather unfortunate location I'm temporarily forced to live in, the nearest ATM is only 4 km from my place (one way) :)

Komoot had picked up the address of Sochaczewska 66, Leszno, Warsaw West County, Mazovia, Poland and decided it was the address of an ATM :) In fact, the same address hosts Klimatyczna Cafe, which is my favourite destination in case I have no better idea where to ride :)

1706048323997.png

I am a regular customer there. It all started when I learned it was one of several cycling-friendly premises of the greater neighbourhood.

1706048482062.png

As Leszno is on one of standard routes for Warsaw roadies, the premise has a lot of visitors on wheels, especially in the warm season.

1706048393059.png

On one of our visits together with my brother (left) who is an e-biker (and recently, a gravel cyclist), and the owner, Ms. Ewa.

1706049217326.png

Once, brother Jacek and I invited cyclists for a group ride. Only a girl (unknown to us before) joined the ride. We were unaware that that woman had an enormous potential and power! We made 100 km together before stopping at the Klimatyczna, and added 30 km more afterwards. Jacek rode on a single battery and had to return on pedals to his car :) (I had two batteries with me, fortunately). Later, Justyna found a cycling boyfriend and is on a good way to become a competitive rider!

The minimum riding distance round trip is some 38 km, which is good enough for a workout! :)

Last edited:
Hahaha! Due to a rather unfortunate location I'm temporarily forced to live in, the nearest ATM is only 4 km from my place (one way) :)

Komoot had picked up the address of Sochaczewska 66, Leszno, Warsaw West County, Mazovia, Poland and decided it was the address of an ATM :) In fact, the same address hosts Klimatyczna Cafe, which is my favourite destination in case I have no better idea where to ride :)

View attachment 170148
I am a regular customer there. It all started when I learned it was one of several cycling-friendly premises of the greater neighbourhood.

View attachment 170150
As Leszno is on one of standard routes for Warsaw roadies, the premise has a lot of visitors on wheels, especially in the warm season.

View attachment 170149
On one of our visits together with my brother (left) who is an e-biker (and recently, a gravel cyclist), and the owner, Ms. Ewa.

View attachment 170152
Once, brother Jacek and I invited cyclists for a group ride. Only a girl (unknown to us before) joined the ride. We were unaware that that woman had an enormous potential and power! We made 100 km together before stopping at the Klimatyczna, and added 30 km more afterwards. Jacek rode on a single battery and had to return on pedals to his car :) (I had two batteries with me, fortunately). Later, Justyna found a cycling boyfriend and is on a good way to become a competitive rider!

The minimum riding distance round trip is some 38 km, which is good enough for a workout! :)
Ah ok. I get it now. It looks like a very nice place. Google reviews are excellent 😂 Perhaps if I had mentally logged some of your previous rides I would have noticed this was a common waypoint for you.
So far I have only noticed Komoot giving me quite dull names for my rides. I will keep an eye out for more esoteric ones.

Back