2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Sun, 40+°F, dry roads, what more can one ask of winter in New England.

1579920560494.jpeg
1579920590285.jpeg

An hommage to the past …
2020-01-24-kq1-ebr.jpg

The Kookaburra Queen 1 and its stern-wheel sibling were built in the late 1980s to cater for World Expo 88 and, to this day, have not ventured further than an hour or two from their home wharves. Although tourist vessels, they are genuine paddle wheelers with hulls constructed along traditional lines in native timbers. Interiors are exquisite and, by all accounts, the catering is first class.

Diesel engines plus modern navigational and safety equipment were their main concessions to the twentieth century. Presumably, their galleys satisfy the demands of contemporary chefs.

During the nineteenth century Australia had a large number of paddlewheel steamers, mainly on the Murray-Darling river system and tales abound of vessels that were marooned when the rivers dried up. I suspect that most captains would have been sufficiently canny not to have let that happen to them!

Photo taken from the riverside bikeway.

North Brisbane Bikeway …
2020-01-24-nbb-bb-ebr.jpg

Tap photo to fill screen.
Decoding the scene…
  • left : mangroves with Breakfast Creek beyond and places to pull off and take a rest on riverside benches;
  • right foreground (mainly out of view) : small park with children's playground equipment;
  • centre background : Airport Link motorway with bikeway beneath (post #124 above);
  • right background : venting tower for motorway tunnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nancy and I packed our bikes and are headed south to California for some much needed r&r, sunshine and us time. Day one 440 miles, visiting dear friends in Roseburg, Oregon. Off to an early start tomorrow to the Avenue of the Giants for a ride through 18 miles of ancient redwood groves. It may be a wet ride but we are ready for that.

83848106_10218771892920216_647492772575576064_n.jpg

83824555_10218771893280225_741517573849350144_n.jpg

I've said it before, but what a great looking city you have there, Dave... love looking at the architecture. That tall blue building to the left in the Kookabura Queen photo, and then that striking one standing by itself in the park photo... that is some place you choose to infest!

Yesterday I took a leisurely ride through the old section of Tucson on the Art On Wheels bike route. It was only 8 miles but wandered back and forth on a route that visited many of the murals and other art work in the city. I never realized what an artsy city Tucson is. Here's just a sample of the 20+ murals on the route.

IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0047.jpeg

IMG_0048.jpeg

IMG_0049.jpeg

IMG_0050.jpeg

Dave

12 miles today, cycling exactly the same time as a friend 100 miles south of me on her new ebike - a Specialized Vado 3.0 (Class 3). She downloaded this neat app on her phone that tracks her ride real-time, and it will send out a link to her specified contacts so that we know when she's out riding, and where she is every second, shown on a road map. I need to download that app onto my phone.

She went 27 miles, and we emailed each other afterwards, both of us complained about the cold (it was 45°f) with a very stiff headwind which she said her bike completely ignored. Mine ignored it as well. My face didn't, and found itself snuggling down into my neck warmer for all of the ride.

My ride was on the paved road, little traffic and hibernating landscape, a quiet ride... except for a highly annoying intermittent squealing-turning-into-screeching/howling coming from my newly adjusted front disk brake. And that was while simply cycling along, not even employing the brake. Hence the abreviated miles. The bike shop told me to bring it back in tomorrow.

Meanwhile, my friend emailed me afterwards about seeing two of her bike club members enroute during her ride, far in front of her on a hill. So she dialed up the assist and pushed the bike to catch up to them quickly. She said she rode with them for a few minutes and then they came to another hill. About partway up she said she "just couldn’t ride that slow, so left them in the dust." HAH! When they finally reached up with her again they said "is that an electric bike?" She thought "well, duh!"

I can't wait to hear about her first ride with the club on her new ebike. No longer will she be dropped on the No Drop rides. (Kid you not!) I'm really pumped for her. She is LOVING her new ebike and the freedom it brings, not to mention how it puts the fun back into riding.

My midwinter scenery.
midwinter scenery.jpg

Last edited:
Nancy and I made an early start and arrived in northern California today, entering the Avenue of the Giants around noon. This 18 mile drive along the Eel river passed through grove after grove o
redwood trees, many of which exceed 300 feet tall. These majestic, ancient beings instill as sense of humility, awe and serenity. It was misty drizzly weather around 55 Fahrenheit. Not ideal conditions but this was an experience we had to do when we could, weather be damned.

82603119_10218781424678504_71667602417516544_n.jpg

83749007_10218781425078514_5128063386600341504_o.jpg
84336398_10218781425598527_4077780257359265792_o.jpg

Mount Warning, NSW …
2020-01-28-mtwarning-canefields-ebr-a.jpg

Like Nancy and Richard, I headed south of the border for today's ride but, unlike them, I was home by four in the afternoon!

In 1788 when James Cook found himself in a spot of bother with unfavourable winds and rocky reefs off what is now northern New South Wales, he named the local headland Point Danger and the prominent mountain Mount Warning – names to alert future mariners rather than to flatter nobility.

I started today's ride near Point Danger and headed inland towards Mount Warning which in the early morning was still covered in cloud (above). Much of the surrounding land is low-lying and roads are elevated a metre of two above the foldable canefields and farm houses are built on mounds. There was no place to stand the bike on the side of the road.

An hour later the clouds had lifted and I was .approaching Mount Warning (below). Time to head upward!

2020-01-28-mtwarning-aa.jpg

Subtropical rainforest in Wollumbin National Park …
2020-01-28-mtwarning-climb-a-ebr.jpg

The mountain to which James Cook gave the name Mount Warning already had an Aboriginal name, Wollumbin (Big Mountain). Today the national park acknowledges the traditional owners' name but the mountain usually retains the name bestowed on it by the great navigator.

The piccabeen palms (Archontophenix cunninghamiana) on the right are around 20 m tall. There's a serious drop on that side of the narrow road!

2020-01-28-map-ebr.jpg

Mount Warning is in New South Wales about midway up Australia's eastern Pacific coast (150 km south of Brisbane; 800 km north of Sydney). It is the same distance from the equator as Orlando, Florida.

A glance at this topographical map from my Ride with GPS record shows the ring of mountains surrounding the eroded caldera an ancient volcano. At the centre of the ring is Wollumbin National Park and Mt Warning, the remains of the vent from which molten lava spewed out to form a 100 km-wide shield volcano 23 million years ago.

My anticlockwise route can be broken into three sections:
  1. 50 km southwest from Chinderah (green spot) to Mt Warning;
  2. 40 km east through the hills to Wooyong on the Pacific coast;
  3. 30 km north along the coast to Chinderah on the Tweed River
The photo of the sugarcane was taken midway along the first section of the ride (near Murwillumbah) and the mown paddock near the turnoff to Mt Warning.

If you look north of my start/finish location you will see where the Tweed River enters the sea. Cook's Point Danger is at the end of 'Coolangatta'. Between Point Danger and the start/finish (Tweed Heads South) you might make out a white dot in the sea. That's Cook Island (named for him but not by him); he was seriously close inshore!

We now saw the breakers again. They lay two Leagues from a point under which is a small Island. Their situation may always be found by the peaked mountain before mentioned. This mountain or hill, I have named Mount Warning. It lies 7 or 8 Leagues inland the land, is high and hilly about it, but it is conspicuous enough to be distinguished from everything else. The point off which these shoals lay I have named Point Danger.

Back