2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Stefan …
Always two batteries (PowerTube + PowerPack; each 500 Wh) and on longer rides a third (PowerPack 500 Wh).
  • Monday : 172 km : Moreton Bay : third battery from 140 km;
  • Tuesday : 121 km : Mount Warning : third battery from 100 km;
  • Wednesday : 142 km : Moreton Bay : zero range showing at end but no third battery.
The final pitch up Mt Warning to the climbing track was steep. I switched the Bosch CX to Turbo and dropped the Rohloff down to #2. At the turnaround the trip meter showed 50 km ridden and the battery's range as 12 km. (The Kiox indicated that my heart rate was fine but this silly little computer was having its own private meltdown in not coping with crossing a time zone. End of aside!)

The third battery is from my Trek Powerfly 5 and is packed into an Ortlieb E-Mate pannier bag (same as on Nancy's Homage) when the expected distance and terrain trigger a warning.

For some reason Ortlieb doesn't make it easy to find the E-Mate on their website and, in checking for the link a moment ago, I discovered a new E-Glow handlebar bag. Looks interesting.
… David
e-glow_van_06039_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@David Berry Nancy's Homage is a 2018 Rohloff HS. It had just the one external, power pack, chain instead of belt r but also has the Fox suspension (with remote lockout) upgrade which is not now available on the Homage but still is on the Delight. My guess is that older Homage is at least 6 pounds lighter than the newer model with just the power tube on board. I have the 2019 Homage which is in the shop awaiting warranty service for the Rohloff. It started leaking oil into the spindle passage and got dangerously close to oiling the brake rotor.

Riding through the piccabeen forest …
2020-01-28-mtw-piccabeen-ebr.jpg

Wollumbin National Park, New South Wales
2020-01-28-mtw-piccabeen-up-ebr.jpg

Stefan, this is when you need your lights on to be seen – one moment in the shade, the next in bright sunlight.

A litter-strewn beach?
2020-01-31-scarborough-ebr.jpg

Scarborough Beach, Queensland
The flotsam on Scarborough Beach is seagrass mown up by dugongs – the ultimate in messy eaters! Dugongs are close relatives of manatees. They are a bit smaller, live longer, keep to seawater and have fluked rather than beaver-style tails.

A deserted beach and hardly anyone on the Moreton Bay Cycleway!

Gone are last week's children who have started a new school year – including our granddaughter who started her schooling at Humpybong Primary (what a name! just) down the road/bikeway/coast from here.

It's a good time to be out on an ebike. In another month we'll be able to say farewell to summer (can't wait!).

And then disaster happened… in an instant.

I won't claim that my worst nightmare came true because I had never dreamed that anything like this might happen. I doubt that anyone would have expected it.

I'll share the story tomorrow.

January : 2,015 km
Last 12 months : 17,524 km

Nancy and I went a ride into the Hollywood Hills with Scott and Danny from LA Fly Rides today. It was a balmy 83 degrees here, just what we were looking for in our escape from the cold and stormy Northwest. The last photo was taken the day before yesterday when we drove down the Big Sur coast.

20200131_102720.jpg

20200131_113021.jpg

20200129_091530.jpg

An unfortunate event …
Riese & Müller describe the Gates Carbon Drive in one word, indestructible. On yesterday's ride that proved to be not quite the case.

I set off on an old favourite from Wacol in Brisbane's west to the sea and then, after refreshment at Pam's Café at Nudgee Beach, back to Wacol via a slightly shorter route. It would be around 110 km on bike paths or quiet roads all the way.

As I passed through the city centre on the return trip, I took a break in the leafy shade of Roma Street Parkland for a final raid on the contents of my pannier. A local company's employees were enjoying an afternoon off work playing cricket – the final Friday afternoon of each month is always given over to team-building exercises, I was assured. Why not?

Twenty minutes later I was pedalling along the riverside bikeway just where the photo of the paddlewheeler was taken; a right turn took me through a cyclists-only tunnel beneath a busy road and past the unloved CityCyles photographed on Monday (the public holiday) and then on to a minor road where I was stopped, as usual, by a red traffic light. I swear it sees me coming!

Green. I pulled away gently in Tour mode. Halfway across the intersection the pedals spun uselessly out of control. I coasted over to the left. The Gates Carbon Drive belt was off both the front and rear sprockets and, in each of two places, a dozen or more of its 'teeth' were missing.

From apparently faultless to utterly useless in one revolution; and so ended the first month of 2020.

Click here for thread titled Gates Carbon Drive : User Experiences.

An unfortunate event …

Riese & Müller describe the Gates Carbon Drive in one word, indestructible. On yesterday's ride that proved to be not quite the case.

I set off on an old favourite from Wacol in Brisbane's west to the sea and then, after refreshment at Pam's Café at Nudgee Beach, back to Wacol via a slightly shorter route. It would be around 110 km on bike paths or quiet roads all the way.

As I passed through the city centre on the return trip, I took a break in the leafy shade of Roma Street Parkland for a final raid on the contents of my pannier. A local company's employees were enjoying an afternoon off work playing cricket – the final Friday afternoon of each month is always given over to team-building exercises, I was assured. Why not?

Twenty minutes later I was pedalling along the riverside bikeway just where the photo of the paddlewheeler was taken; a right turn took me through a cyclists-only tunnel beneath a busy road and past the unloved CityCyles photographed on Monday (the public holiday) and then on to a minor road where I was stopped, as usual, by a red traffic light. I swear it sees me coming!

Green. I pulled away gently in Tour mode. Halfway across the intersection the pedals spun uselessly out of control. I coasted over to the left. The Gates Carbon Drive belt was off both the front and rear sprockets and, in each of two places, a dozen or more of its 'teeth' were missing.

From apparently faultless to utterly useless in one revolution.

What if this had happened on Tuesday's ride up Mount Warning? Or along one of the rougher and more remote sections of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail? Or… ?

Stop the self-pity! It wasn't like that!

I turned the Homage around and pushed, not knowing which was more incredible – having a Gates Carbon Drive self-destruct of having it happened right here (of all places!).

Ten minute later – I kid you not – I walked through the doors of Electric Bikes Brisbane. Think of it as Propel Bikes Down Under. The Southern Hemisphere's premier Riese & Müller dealer. A veritable Aladdin's Cave of Homages, Delites, Chargers, Loads… you name it. Wall-to-wall R&M eye candy.

Six familiar, but astonished, faces greeted me. Kind and sympathetic people! They'll get it fixed.

And so ended the first month of 2020.
David, how many km’s do you estimate you got from the belt before the failure

David, how many km do you estimate you got from the belt before the failure?
Just under 15,000 km.
14,874 km to be precise. New in January 2019.

I am wondering whether to replace the belt every 10,000 km. Actually, I don't imagine that I'd dare run the belt for longer than that!

The Rohloff's oil will be changed before I get the Homage back, so maybe the two services could be synced.

EBR Forum friends' suggestions are most welcome.

Just under 15,000 km.
14,874 km to be precise. New in January 2019.

I am wondering whether to replace the belt every 10,000 km. Actually, I don't imagine that I'd dare run the belt for longer than that!

The Rohloff's oil will be changed before I get the Homage back, so maybe the two services could be synced.

EBR Forum friends' suggestions are most welcome.

Gates also suggests replacing the rear cog when replacing the belt. Not sure how economical that would be or necessary.

An unfortunate event …

What if this had happened on Tuesday's ride up Mount Warning? Or along one of the rougher and more remote sections of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail? Or… ?

I turned the Homage around and pushed, not knowing which was more incredible – having a Gates Carbon Drive self-destruct o4 having it happen right here (of all places!).

Ten minutes later – I kid you not – I walked through the doors of Electric Bikes Brisbane. Think of it as Propel Bikes Down Under. The Southern Hemisphere's premier Riese & Müller dealer. A veritable Aladdin's Cave of Homages, Delites, Chargers, Loads… you name it. Wall-to-wall R&M eye candy.

Six familiar, but astonished, faces greeted me. Kind and sympathetic people! They'll get it fixed.

if you have to have a break down you lucked out on location, after yesterday's post left us hanging I thought the worst and quickly checked this morning to read the sequel, hope repair is quick as I enjoy following your near everyday photo and often quick history lesson, kind of makes me want to make a visit to the land of "downunder" - we have been making an annual visit to the Cook Islands (Rarotonga) which was my introduction to renting an electric bike but have circled that island so many times (the most planning is whether we go clockwise or counter each day) that it is time to broaden our horizons to a warm spot during our colder Canadian months although I must admit my new Levo has me out pedalling daily except for the most harshest of days, all the best in your future adventures on your "good to go" bike

An unfortunate event …

I turned the Homage around and pushed, not knowing which was more incredible – having a Gates Carbon Drive self-destruct o4 having it happen right here (of all places!).

Ten minutes later – I kid you not – I walked through the doors of Electric Bikes Brisbane. Think of it as Propel Bikes Down Under. The Southern Hemisphere's premier Riese & Müller dealer. A veritable Aladdin's Cave of Homages, Delites, Chargers, Loads… you name it. Wall-to-wall R&M eye candy.

I'm glad you weren't hurt when it let go! Spinning pedals are way better than locked pedals, I've had a few close ones with jammed chains over the years....I hope your bike will be back on the road soon!

Scene of the disaster …
2020-01-31-map-a-1200.jpg

A ten minute walk to help; it couldn't have been easier.

The additional red line (from very bottom) is the morning ride from Wacol through the city and on to Nudgee Beach.

Scene of the disaster …
(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)

A ten minute walk to help; it couldn't have been easier.

The additional red line (from very bottom) is the morning ride from Wacol through the city and on to Nudgee Beach.
Before you posted that David, I made a virtual trip on Google Maps. Less than a kilometre walk, right? How lucky you are!

10 miles yesterday on the gravel roads, 12 miles the day before. Both times ignominiously chased home by rather sneaky cold, wet, miserable, obnoxious rain that had specifically waited until I was about a quarter of the way into a 20 mile ride, then bullied me out of the remaining miles by literally throwing water on me for the next five miles while I beat a fast retreat back home.

So not into the cold/wet weather deal. Not my cup of tea.

Did get a few pics, tho. (Two, actually) Here's one. The sign was the sole bit of color in a "Fifty Variations of Dull Gray" landscape. Only horses around were in their pastures, all bundled up in expensive outdoor winter horse attire, all chewing on what remains of the brown fall/winter grass.

Gravel road ride.jpg

Dave - my bike has a Bates carbon belt drive. I hope mine is one of the indestructible ones...

Last edited:
Back