2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
"Too Long Didn't Read."

Hello, Readytoride.

While reading your tome about the fifty mile ride I sensed you are from the DC area. Beautiful write-up and thanks for posting it. I organize weekly rides in the metropolitan area and each time compose a SHORT description of last week's tour. So your composition makes me appreciate your grand effort. My reports always include photos too.

I hope you will venture out with us. The group is not an organization, just my e-mail list of those interested. There are about a hundred participants on the list, but the typical turnout is fifteen. We won't resume until warm weather in March or April.

I am in the league of those "older gentlemen" you encountered. A couple of years ago I succumbed to an e-bike in order to keep up with the gang on hills. It worked. Guilty of over-enthusiasm, I now have ordered a Delite Rohloff from ElectricityBikes in DC, hoping for delivery in March.

New at this forum thingy, I'm trying to figure out how to add photos. If you would like to know more about the Friday Riders let me know by e-mail ([email protected]) and I will send you a couple of recent ride announcements (including pictures).

-- David Winer

Attachments

• Leesburg-Purcellville Nov '19-6-Paul White.jpg
    Leesburg-Purcellville Nov '19-6-Paul White.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 301
  • Congressional Cemetery Ride June '19-1.jpg
    Congressional Cemetery Ride June '19-1.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 385
I'm trying to figure out how to add photos.
David …
  • Place your cursor where you want your photo to appear (I suggest on a new line).
  • Press Control/Command and P simultaneously. A "Drop Image" box will appear…
    Screenshot 2020-01-23 16.20.10.jpg
  • Select the photo that you want to add and continue with your post as normal.
Important:
  • Keep photos to between 1000 and 1500 pixels wide.
  • Keep file sizes under 1 MB (500 kB is usually sufficient) by saving them at 'Medium' quality.
Even more important:
  • Share the enjoyment that the new Delite in your life brings you by posting photos and ride stories on this thread.
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on @steve mercier , I have seen many places more spectacular than those in "Beautiful British Columbia" ;) Granted I was in my boat at the time rather than on my bike.

Seriously though, thanks for reminding us what a special part of the world we live in. Now we just need to get this Cascadia thing rolling.

Here is my Delight on the slopes of Mt. Baker this past summer.

P1032724.JPG

PaD are you not in Stockholm? How can you be missing Winter?
This winter we had a few inches of snow in November and since then rain. A few days that have been good for cycling but I like to have a few months with snow. No real winter this year. ( this far)
I used to work and live in the mountain areas and did a lot of alpine skiing in my youth and also for a period around my 40’s but that’s more than a quarter of a century ago.
Swedish mountains are not at all like The Rockies. Highes peak in Sweden is about 2100m (6800ft) but I have skied in Steamboat and Vail.

PaD ,We have great admiration for the many many fine Swedish hockey players that have played for our hometown team over the years ( Vancouver Canucks). There are too many too list them all but here are a few: Thomas Gradin, Mathias Ohlund, Sami Salo, Markus Naslund, Mats Sundin, Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Elias Petterssen. Swedes in the NHL are known for their top skills, strong work ethic, and fine sportsmanship!

Last edited:
Bowen Park, Brisbane …
2020-01-24-bowen-park-a-ebr.jpg

Click photo to fill screen.
1863 was a year of peace and happiness in Brisbane (and the very worst of times in the US). The citizens revered their new Governor (the Queen's representative, not theirs) and adored his wife, Lady Bowen the Contessa Diamantina di Roma.

Bowen Park was set aside in 1863 to honour Governor Sir George Bowen. Just a small parcel of land remains but it has been maintained in immaculate condition and in keeping with the way parks were in times gone by.

Sir George's park is largely forgotten; Lady Bowen's park (Roma Street Parkland) is ten times larger and visited by thousands every day. An interesting twist.

The weather has been consistently lousy for the last several weeks. The only pedalling I have been doing has been at spin class, trying to maintain my conditioning.

On Sunday, Nancy and I depart for California with our bikes on the rack. We will be gone for almost three weeks, stopping first to ride the Redwoods and then making our way down to L.A. and San Diego, seeking sunshine and visiting friends. Hopefully I will have some photos of our rides to share here on the EBR forum.

Reflecting on David's most recent post on Governor and Lady Bowen and the regard in which they were held, I will be treated much the same as Sir George. I married way beyond my station or as a good friend who was once a sports announcer put it, "Richard, you out kicked your coverage." I can only be thankful that some of the most amazing women have questionable taste in men.

rfnf.jpg

Love me, love my dog (and my ebike) …
2020-01-25-katzer.jpg

The Delite-ful Katzers: Tanja, Ajaci and Denis. (Today is Denis's sixtieth birthday!)

You can read about Tanja and Denis's extraordinary ebike adventures on their website or the in the latest Riese & Müller newsletter:

Back