2019 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Maps

As ever, I thoroughly enjoy seeing the flora, architecture and scenery of the beautiful place you live and ride in. Is it starting to warm up down that way?

Is it starting to warm up down that way?
Richard, it didn't really get too chilly this winter past. Temperatures are now sneaking above thirty, but still no rain. With my brother dropping in for a few days at the end of this week, there'll surely be a downpour to ruin our rides on Friday and Monday! (Jen's dementia is now so severe that I can only go riding three times per week (M,W,F) when she is looked after at the Alzheimer's cottage in Ipswich.)

Interestingly, the winds play a significant part in choosing where to ride. Monday will be warm; therefore, a day to ride up the coast (six degrees cooler forecast) but the wind is going to be northwest on the outward run and then southwest on the way home – headwind both ways! Almost forgot the R&M slogan: 'Tailwind as standard.'
bom_2019-09-21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sailing Lesson …
2019_09_23_ctc_aa.jpg

School's out for two weeks and these future Olympians headed straight for Cabbage Tree Creek!

Do they still call the final break of the year 'Michaelmas Holidays'? I don't suppose so.

Ride : 111 km / 2019 : 11,469 km (Photo at 30.6 km)

The good ship Gayundah: from gunboat to gravel barge to ghost of times past …
2019_09_23_gayundah_a.jpg

Tap photo to fill screen.
Built in 1884 to protect Moreton Bay and act as a training vessel, the Gayundah was eventually decommissioned from naval service and spent its last years as a gravel barge in the Brisbane River before being beached at the southern end of the Redcliffe Peninsula in 1958 to stabilise the shoreline.

For a few more years, the Gayundah will serve as a tourist attraction and a pleasant spot to stop on the Moreton Bay Cycleway. The photo was taken looking south across Bramble Bay with the northern suburbs of Brisbane beyond. Cabbage Tree Creek (children's sailboats and trawlers) is behind the wooded headland (extreme left) with buildings in Brisbane Central just visible in the distance.

Ride with Rob …
2019_09_27_aaa.jpg

• Crossing between the northern side of Bramble Bay (wreck in previous photo) and the southern (distant shoreline in previous photo).
  • The roadway in the background is around one-sixth of the twin bridges' length.
  • Photo at 28 km on map; Gayundah at 32.5 km. Both photos looking south (roughly).

Ride : 81 km / 2019 : 11644 km

Pine River Estuary …
2019_09_27_ff.jpg

Taken from same location as previous photo, but looking inland (west). The Moreton Bay Cycleway really takes one down to sea level and visits the most interesting of places. I'd love to explore this waterway in a kayak – electrically assisted paddling, of course.

In the pink …
2019_09_30_rsp_a.jpg

Roma Street Parkland, Brisbane.

The group of flowers in the foreground are dianthuses, commonly called 'pinks'. According to those who know an awful lot more about these things than I do, the colour is named after the flower and not the other way round. I have also read that pinking shears (whose grandmother didn't have a pair?) were so named because their serrated blades produced a non-fraying zigzag edge to fabric that was reminiscent of dianthus petals.

Ride : 80 km / 2019 : 11,724 km

Go fly a kite …
2019_10_07_kites.jpg

Sandgate, Moreton Bay. Photo at 68 km.

When I rode north along the Moreton Bay Cycleway the tide was out and the foreground area (our side of the breaking waves) was drained of water. On the way back the tide was on the way in and this was, apparently, the perfect place for kitesurfing.

If you look carefully, you can make out the green kite's flying and steering lines. The moon is directly above the kite.

Ride : 93 km / 2019 : 12,052 km

Sheltered stop on a windy day …
2019_10_07_nudgee_ck.jpg

• Mangrove-lined Nudgee Creek in the Boodall Wetlands.
  • Causarinas (top right) swayed by the same sea breeze that made for a perfect kitesurfing day.

Currumbin Beach, Queensland …
2019_10_21_currumbin.jpg

Morning break in the extreme south of the Gold Coast, Australia's equivalent of southern Florida. Maybe, not as crowded. South of the headland is New South Wales.

Photo at 38 km on the map.

Ride : 115 km / 2019 : 12,843 km

Cycling & Walking Track, Gold Coast, Queensland …
2019_10_22_gc_cycleway_a.jpg

There are usually both challenging and easy routes around the headlands!

Tweed River, New South Wales …
2019_10_21_tweed_a.jpg

The Tweed, one the 'big rivers' of northern NSW, is quite short (about 80 km) and I hope to return to the region next week to explore the river from this tidal estuary to the upper reaches. On my Gold Coast ride a few days ago I was able to spend just a few hours 'south of the border' before having to turn around.

A comparable location in the US is Tampa, Florida (note the short shadow).

Strikingly svelte and shiny …
2019_10_25_rbbs_a.jpg

Joining me on my early morning ride was this beautiful 1.5-metre red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus). Although shy, they are venomous and, therefore, best not approached by ebikers intent on trying to take their photo with an iPhone.

Ride : 23 km / 2019 : 13,073 km

Back