2015 ST2 vs 2017 ST2

Rgrtitan

I’m comparing at a 2015 ST2 (demo) at a LBS and another new 2017 ST2 online. They’re both going for about $5k. Looking online, I don’t see any/many changes from 2015 to 2017.

In regards to the 2015, I’m concerned the 2015 battery may have a lower capacity due to two years of showroom demo. In regards to the 2017, I’d prefer to purchase LBS, but if purchased online, would warranty and service be an issue?

On a side note, I’m 6’2 ~300lbs looking to commute 40 miles round trip in Seattle area. I’m also cross shopping the Specialized Vado 5/6 and the Trek Super Commuter 8 for this purpose. Any recommendations?

I love my Stromer ST-2, but you should probably ride the Vado 6 and the Trek to compare the differences in ride. A quick look at some reviews
leads me to believe that the Vado may be better than the Trek. (looks and componetry) If you have had the chance to ride the Stromer 2015, its ride should be comparable to the 2017. From you description, I think that Stromer's much larger battery might make a significant difference for you. If there is any offload pedaling your commute, I would seriously consider the Vado from looking at the reviews. The Stromer dislike a Telsa on the open road, but really isn't made for offload riding, in my opinion.

Having a friendly LBS to service the bike and handle warranty claims is really important - isn't that part of why you'd pay extra for a bike like a Stromer?

Having a friendly LBS to service the bike and handle warranty claims is really important - isn't that part of why you'd pay extra for a bike like a Stromer?

You must be one of those fortunate folks that live close to a Stromer dealer. I'm a minimum of 5 -6 hours from the nearest dealer. I went to my LBS and inquired if they would service the mechanicals before I purchased my ST-2 off of the internet. Thankfully, the folks at Stromer have been phenomenal at helping me with anything else; e.g. I had to replace my Omni unit and they sent me the appropriate directions for a DIY job, along with the tool to remove the on/off switch. Others on this forum have provided lots of help with almost any issue. If there were a Stromer dealer nearby, I would agree with your hypothesis totally. I paid "extra" because I felt it was the best e-bike on the market at the time, and likely still is.

From comments I've read on the forum, if remember , Seattle streets can be a little on the bumpy side. As an St2 owner , this will not make your commute relaxing. Unless you add a front suspension to it. I put up with the bumps because the bike has no peers , in power delivery and quality of design in my opinion. I looked a Vado over closely at my LBS and was impressed with its componetry and design .One model had a front suspension.

From comments I've read on the forum, if remember , Seattle streets can be a little on the bumpy side. As an St2 owner , this will not make your commute relaxing. Unless you add a front suspension to it. I put up with the bumps because the bike has no peers , in power delivery and quality of design in my opinion. I looked a Vado over closely at my LBS and was impressed with its componetry and design .One model had a front suspension.

I have a Cirrus BodyFloat on my ST-2 and it definitely helps as far as suspension is concerned. After a bit of trial and error experimenting with tire pressure and taking Ravi's advice, I am finding that running both tires at 30 psi or 32-28, bag/front gives a much less harsh ride than inflating the tires up into the 40psi range. I chose to stay with the carbon fork for both the looks and the weight, but front suspension may be the way to go...I wish that I could ride the Vado 6 to compare. But I am really happy with the Stromer. I recently purchased a Specialized Turbo-Levo HT Comp Fattie to ride in inclement weather and possibly in the snow. I haven't ridden it enough to really compare the mid-drive motor with the direct drive rear wheel motor. My sense of it at this point in that the Stromer motor is much stronger with excellent torque, but again the Fattie is built for off road riding and tops out at 18mph vs the 28 mph on the Stromer...

Thanks for the thorough replies. I've had the chance to test out some e-bikes at a local shop and may also be considering e-bikes using Bosche speed. After test riding, I definitely feel the need for a suspension fork.

I did have a chance to test out the bodyfloat (which wasn't calibrated for my weight) and it felt pretty awesome.

Awesome advice from everyone, I ended up going a different direction and ordered a mid-drive Bosch class 3 bike from an LBS.

Back