Vado 5.0 IGH versus Tero 5.0 (EQ pack)

Try riding the Peloton for 4 hours 20 minutes net on Sunday.
I am sure it would do better. Why? Because my bike fit dimensions are exactly mirrored. They are not as precise on the real bikes and it shows. And I have far fewer issues on it than 45 minute rides on a real bike in terms of comfort. Hopefully I will eventually get a real bike to that comfort.

I think I might try to find the Serial 1 for a demo or test drive.
You should. I”m really enjoying mine! One nice thing is it uses Enviolo’s control software versus Specialized using their software to control it. Looks like there’s more user adjustability when using Enviolo’s software.

You should. I”m really enjoying mine! One nice thing is it uses Enviolo’s control software versus Specialized using their software. Looks like there’s more user adjustability when using Enviolo’s software.
Pretty sure you can use both. I used the enviolo app on my vado to tune things. Never tried it during a ride though. (For example to engage manual mode and shift manually)

Last edited:
Don't think so. What I’ve read, Specialized overwrites setting changes (such as cadence) that you make in the Enviolo app.

The cadence control is easier on the mastermind anyway.

What I did do is switch it between sport and regular shifting which changes the shift characteristics a bit. The bike seemed to hold onto them. And, based on brief testing I *think* putting it into manual mode was not reset by the mastermind. Which meant you could manually shift via the app. And, of course, you have to use the app to calibrate the hub.

But, again, this was six months ago and I didn't spend much time experimenting since everything I needed was right on mastermind. And, of course, all of it could have changed since then.

The cadence control is easier on the mastermind anyway.
I suppose, if you’re ok with being limited to a fixed number of presets versus being able to adjust the cadence from 30 rpm to 120 rpm in 1 or 5 rpm increments.

I am sure it would do better. Why? Because my bike fit dimensions are exactly mirrored. They are not as precise on the real bikes and it shows. And I have far fewer issues on it than 45 minute rides on a real bike in terms of comfort. Hopefully I will eventually get a real bike to that comfort.
My point related to a 4 h 20 minute ride was you would have died from boredom on a bike trainer. While it is an adventure on a real life trip. All my riding buddies who ride bike trainers (it is their own bike mounted on a trainer) ride from 45 to 75 minutes; that's what I can see on their Strava. The first 45 minutes of any ride contributes very little to the fitness; it is when the body fat just starts to be burned. (Of course any form of a physical activity is better than no activity).

I am not sure where @DeepintheShires is located in the UK but the chances are his Winters are mild. @Duce lives in a warm area. Why should they go for the bike trainer?

So far, we discussed Tero, Vado IGH, and I said the derailleur version of Vado might be the best choice. If only doable, I recommend a decent demo ride to any potential buyer! Also, having a Specialized LBS nearby is a great asset.

I suppose, if you’re ok with being limited to a fixed number of presets versus being able to adjust the cadence from 30 rpm to 120 rpm in 1 or 5 rpm increments.

That’s fair. I used 80 and 85 rpm almost exclusively. Don’t remember what it went down to but it wasn’t anything near 30. I did wish for a lower setting occasionally though. But last I checked you don’t want to be mashing slow and hard on most of these ebikes. Specialized probably did that as a motor protection.

Nope and nope. It uses the bike’s battery and goes to a default gear ratio when the bike is powered off or the battery dies.
Thanks, I was hoping the auto gearbox would sieze up when the bike was off thus adding a theft deterrent! It would have also made life hard for the owner if they ever ran out of juice far from home!

I find the alarm function on the bike quite insignificant and weak. The R&M urban range has a 100dB, I think…

1677596887919.png

Just found this on one of the european sites (deals from Spain) - was this already mentioned in another post? I can't remember. Looks like the tero x is the purer eMTB breed than the cross-breed the tero started out as.

Specialized Warsaw knows nothing of this e-bike. I called them and sent them the link.

P.S, THE PREMIERE ON SPECIALIZED. COM. The Web page is not ready yet in full.
1677599790120.png

Last edited:
From what i can see in the bike.inn page for the tero X 4.0 (lowest spec) - this is the marketing blurb
Read my post #74. Specialized.com page for Poland lists 3 models of Tero X with specs in English. The UK site shall be updated soon. Or, maybe not.

Basically, Tero X 6.0 is at the cost level of Levo Comp.

I know - I am totally veering off the original question I posted - Vado 5.0 IGH v Tero 5.0....

Read my post #74. Specialized.com page for Poland lists 3 models of Tero X with specs in English. The UK site shall be updated soon.

Basically, Tero X 6.0 is at the cost level of Levo Comp.

@Stefan Mikes yes, i tried following that link on post #74 but the next click wasn't working for me - so i couldn't get past the landing page from that link. Exciting times.

View attachment 148039
Just found this on one of the european sites (deals from Spain) - was this already mentioned in another post? I can't remember. Looks like the tero x is the purer eMTB breed than the cross-breed the tero started out as.
Good idea, but as a self-appointed Tero beta tester I have this input:

1. The motor would be perfectly adequate but range would be limited to less than 30 miles in hilly terrain with this battery. I get about 30 miles in my area with a 710wh battery without being concerned about making it up the hills to get home (using Eco as much as possible and Off down grades/hills). This battery has 25% less capacity. So “you’re gong to need a bigger map” might apply to the Levo SL but not much else.
Engine: Specialized 2.0E, 50Nm Torque, Custom Tuned Motor, 250W Nominal
Battery Specialized U2-530, Alloy Casing, State Of Charge Display, 530Wh

2. With that cassette and a 29” rear wheel, a 44T chainring gives very nearly the same ratios as the current Tero. Since this is a mullet it could use a 46 or even 48T (havent checked in with bikecalc.com yet). But as designed (38T), this is still going to be a mid 20’s mph bike.
Groupset
Rear Derailleur:
Sram Sx Eagle, 12-Speed
Chainrings: Sram X-Sync Eagle, 104Bcd, 38T, Emtb Specific, Steel
Cassette: Sram Pg-1210 Eagle, 11-50T

3. Why a mullet? This bike isn’t going to appeal to the shredding downhill market anyway and a smaller rear wheel has more downsides than benefits for an XC (bigger map) bike.
Wheels
Rims:
Specialized 29, Hookless Alloy, 30Mm Inner Width, Tubeless Ready
Tires: Front: Specialized Ground Control, Grid Casing, T7 Compound, 29X2.35 // Rear: Ground Control Grid T7, 2Bliss Ready, 27.5X2.35

4. Rack for panniers but no horizontal mounting surface?

There have been plenty of times I felt rear suspension would be beneficial but as spec’d this bike isn’t going any further and only a little faster than a Levo, so I don’t see the benefit here. All that said, I’m sure it will sell.

Last edited:
I certainly missed the point.

"Peloton" as in the "Most expensive clothes dryer?" :D

Ignorance is bliss. Here is a picture of my 15 minute hill climb hiit ride this morning. Where I did roughly the equivalent of 2-3 multiple large hills around my house in a 15 minute period. Just *getting ready* to ride in what you see outside my window would take longer than that. IT would take 30-45 minutes to accomplish this on a real bike. On top of that, the comfort of the peloton is far greater than any of the real bikes I have used thus far. So my 45 minute rides on it (which is equivalent to a typical outdoor ride for me) create no numbness and no other discomfort (besides fatigue). And *this* morning, 15 minutes is all I had for biking before I had to drop off a car for inspection (I was actually late with only that much time spent).

Do I prefer to go on a ride through a fall canopy of leaves falling in rays of sun on a dirt backroad during which I stop at a local distillery (on said dirt road) with my wife and have a maple cider? Yes, Yes I do. That ride is accessible to me maybe 2-3 times per year if I am lucky. No more.

Peloton is far more engaging and fun than *any* other indoor cardio activity I have tried (and I have owned them all, including your "trainer" option, ellipticals, treadmills, jump rope... etc. I have a soft place in my heart for jump rope and do it for warmup every morning). The peloton is most closely related to a home version of a spin class. Except, I get to pick music, ride style and goals from many thousands of classes available. And it costs less than any of the e-bikes I have tried or owned.

I did this ride this morning after I did a 4:30am weight lifting training session ( I do some kind of lifting every weekday). Peloton made it possible to do both.

So, for someone who *isn't* closed minded about indoor bicycles, it is a real and engaging option. And, if the difference is doing peloton, or not doing biking, guess which one I pick every single time?

So, really, stop giving a great tool a bad name because you have never experienced it. Is it for everyone? no. Can it be valuable to lots of people, yes. I am one of those people. So far, it has far more value than any of the bikes I have tried.

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpeg
    IMG_3082.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 124
Back