Zen Photon Pro- Preorder | 1040Wh UL Certified battery | 500W nominal/900W peak power Torque-sensing motor w/ Throttle | USD 2999 | CAD 3999

I'm going to be interested in the outcome of this. I read that you need to back off the pedals(to get the motor to back off) when shifting, and I also read that you have to be pedaling(or at least moving) to get the entire range out of a shift? Also have watched a video or two that shows the user taking two passes to get a full range of shifting. Without one to play with I guess I'll just find out when my bike arrives. Hopefully there is an easy solution for you(and maybe me too). It would be a shame to give up on a good bike if it's solvable. Please post back with your findings when you have a chance.

I'm going to be interested in the outcome of this. I read that you need to back off the pedals(to get the motor to back off) when shifting, and I also read that you have to be pedaling(or at least moving) to get the entire range out of a shift? Also have watched a video or two that shows the user taking two passes to get a full range of shifting. Without one to play with I guess I'll just find out when my bike arrives. Hopefully there is an easy solution for you(and maybe me too). It would be a shame to give up on a good bike if it's solvable. Please post back with your findings when you have a chance.
This is my experience. If you hesitate for a fraction of a second you can easily shift up or down. Takes about 2-3 full twists to gain the full range. I do not find this a problem. I shift frequently, very frequently. Just like I did on a mountain bike back in my racing days. I do not have any physical limitations. In addition, I changed out my handlebars/grips for a much more comfortable position...for me.

I shift perhaps 200 time per hour when the terrain calls for it on my MTB. I couldn't imagine doing that with a very swept back handlebar, maybe you are on to something . For sure my bars are getting swapped out pretty quickly for a set with around 8-10 degrees of sweep. That's what I'm used to and want to keep my bikes similar in ergonomics if I can.

1727382483290.png

This is what I went with: Wide and pretty flat with just a bit of backsweep. Mine are lime green to match the lettering on the white frame. I like them.

what size is the seat post? I did purchase the Zen seat post and have found it to be very stiff. I did try adjusting it however there was only one place to adjust and like the rest of the bike it came with zero instructions. Oh in converting or modifying the bike for long range rides (50+ miles) I also replaced the front fender and the part that holds the handlebars. Amazon sells an adapter that allows you to still use the factory provided headlamp.

I have a raceface bar that is very similar to yours I plan to try. Also have a saddle waiting just in case. When you go for longer rides it all becomes more important. I hope to be able to put in 4-5 hour runs in.

what size is the seat post? I did purchase the Zen seat post and have found it to be very stiff. I did try adjusting it however there was only one place to adjust and like the rest of the bike it came with zero instructions. Oh in converting or modifying the bike for long range rides (50+ miles) I also replaced the front fender and the part that holds the handlebars. Amazon sells an adapter that allows you to still use the factory provided headlamp.
Curious about why you choose to change the fender? The handlebar stem I can see.

I purchased some more aggressive tires as a lot of our riding is on dirt and gravel roads. You wouldn’t believe how many small villages are connected in the mountains of Idaho via unimproved roads. Anyway, the front fender was constantly rubbing on the tires in spite of my attempts to adjust the fender by bending the rods on either side. I removed the front fender (for some reason no issues with noise on the rear fender) and that solved the problem until a downpour on a 30 mile ride. I went with a very short EMTB fender luckily no unexpected storms to test how effective this was. I did ask Zen if they have an alternative adjustable fender.

I purchased some more aggressive tires as a lot of our riding is on dirt and gravel roads. You wouldn’t believe how many small villages are connected in the mountains of Idaho via unimproved roads. Anyway, the front fender was constantly rubbing on the tires in spite of my attempts to adjust the fender by bending the rods on either side. I removed the front fender (for some reason no issues with noise on the rear fender) and that solved the problem until a downpour on a 30 mile ride. I went with a very short EMTB fender luckily no unexpected storms to test how effective this was. I did ask Zen if they have an alternative adjustable fender.
My rides will be 95% gravel rail trails too. I went with the johny watts tires. I hope this isn’t the same ones you have lol.

Johnny Watt tires is what I have on my bike. I sent Ravi pictures of the fender issue in May. Hopefully that problem is now fixed.
Anybody have the actual size of the saddle post?

Johnny Watt tires is what I have on my bike. I sent Ravi pictures of the fender issue in May. Hopefully that problem is now fixed.
Anybody have the actual size of the saddle post?
Oboy I guess that explains why the pics of the new photon show a lot of tire clearance on the fenders. Must have changed something. Your seatpost should have the size stamped into it near the bottom. I think it will be 30.9 but no guarantees.

Back