Your experiences with the new Mahle MySmartBike app (replacement for Ebikemotion)

MySmartBike app on my iPhone is very reliable; I’m challenged however on how to delete prior rides saved on My activities. How do you delete or unsaved prior rides?
mySmartbike dashboard on my PC. I am Android user smartphone but should be the same.

Maybe a stupid question on JavaGPZ:
The app in the PC dashboard also evaluates the % gradient on the traveled route.
Is it possible (maybe in the future) to have the app display these % currently also during the ride?
16.3. a 17.3. I tested the app again after 14 days >(Mar 2, 2023)< and everything worked very well. No reminder, good job.
23.3.2023 - The application records all parameters well, but sometimes a message >Insufficient position< appears at the end of the ride.
I must say that the best (most reliable) application worked before updating ver.2.0.4. of 7.2.2023. - then there is always some minor error or deficiency.

Attachments

• Grade.jpg
    Grade.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question on JavaGPZ:
The app in the PC dashboard also evaluates the % gradient on the traveled route.
Is it possible (maybe in the future) to have the app display these % currently also during the ride?
16.3. a 17.3. I tested the app again after 14 days >(Mar 2, 2023)< and everything worked very well. No reminder, good job.
23.3.2023 - The application records all parameters well, but sometimes a message >Insufficient position< appears at the end of the ride.
I must say that the best (most reliable) application worked before updating ver.2.0.4. of 7.2.2023. - then there is always some minor error or deficiency.
Hello Veteran,

It is not possible because the server calculate the % of the slope. It is not something that we can do on the mobiles.
In the future we will add that information on X20 engines because have sensors but on X35 we do not have it, sorry :(

Best regards
Javier

Hi JaviGPZ, when I use HR sensor if I need L3 on slope I have to put max HR too low that cause L1 to come in too quickly, the slope sensor seem to be a good idea since my iPhone have one and is fix on the handlebars, or maybe a minimum HR adjustement would be nice too, example L1 come in at 110 HR (minimum HR), L3 at 125 (maximum HR), and L2 somewhere in between. In case of heavy front wind I think Auto HR option is better than slope sensor.
Hello,

We still working on the auto assist based on the Slope but it will work only for X20 an next engines.

About your issue with the auto assist based on the HR... could be nice to make it custom allowing you to set the levels for your HR.
I will talk with the team about it because I like it a lot. Thanks!

Best regards
Javier

I have a question for the developer:
1. - I have to activate the button several times at launch:
Connect Bike + Connect HR + Link Pulse... + You have a Heart rate.. + and back to Start Again.
Why isn't it enough already with Connect Bike press on Connect HR - I don't need HR - I don't activate the button.
2. - Why the message sometimes appears?: No Internet available. I don't need the internet after all, or do yes?

Attachments

• Connect.jpg
    Connect.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 80
I have a question for the developer:
1. - I have to activate the button several times at launch:
Connect Bike + Connect HR + Link Pulse... + You have a Heart rate.. + and back to Start Again.
Why isn't it enough already with Connect Bike press on Connect HR - I don't need HR - I don't activate the button.
2. - Why the message sometimes appears?: No Internet available. I don't need the internet after all, or do yes?
Hello @Veteran it is possible that more than one HR band could be detected.
Because of that we show that view that could show a list of HR Bands. I see your point.
We plan to add “auto connect” on HR band so in the future you will not need to connect it manually.

Best regards
Javier

Hello @Veteran it is possible that more than one HR band could be detected.
Because of that we show that view that could show a list of HR Bands. I see your point.
We plan to add “auto connect” on HR band so in the future you will not need to connect it manually.

Best regards
Javier
Thank you for answering and understanding my intention. Now I also understand your reasoning.
One more query: 3.February 2023 I had a WEATHER record and it has not been repeated since.
Is it a mistake on my part or was it an attempt on your part to upgrade?

Attachments

• Weather.jpg
    Weather.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 94
I was hoping to recieve some help with the app. I recently bought a Merida eSilex which have the Mahle X35. Unfortunately it had a faulty battery which got replaced at the bike store. Before I returned it I could connect the app with the bike and access the eBike options with all its features. After I recieved it I can still connect with the bike, it shows the battery levels correct and I can also change the assist levels. But I can't access the ebike options. As the picture shows the only feature available is the engineering mode.

How do I solve this problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230525_162009_My SmartBike.jpg
    Screenshot_20230525_162009_My SmartBike.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 81
MySmartBike app on my iPhone is very reliable; I’m challenged however on how to delete prior rides saved on My activities. How do you delete or unsave prior rides?
I delete the rides in the PC - "Dashboard". Activity - Options (upper right corner) - Delete
You write about the reliability of the application.
I've had the opposite experience for two years now.
Just today I drove a very important and demanding section and at the end of the drive I got the message "Position Insufficient" when saving and everything was lost.
I think they should focus on storage reliability instead of inventing more gimmicks.
Otherwise, the driving records, if saved, are very good and beneficial.

Attachments

• 27.6.2023.jpg
    27.6.2023.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 59
I have a 2019 Orbea Gain with the Mahle X35 and have been using the My SmartBike (ebikemotion) app on my Android phone since I purchased my bike new in 2021. It has been a challenge to keep up with all of the updates on the app with no forewarning, no usable manual and left to my own devises to figure out the changes. I had been off of my bike for almost a year due to an injury. I have very recently started to ride on the road again to get back in shape and prepare for a bike tour in September. As usual I have had to figure out the latest update to the My SmartBike app and find where all of my previous activity data is now located. I think I have that pretty well figured out now. Last night I went through all of the entries on this thread to try to understand the significance of the updates and to understand whether I needed to update the firmware on my X35 system. I have also just recently purchased a Mahle X35 range extender for the said bike tour. In my tests so far everything seems to be working as it should. The firmware update to my bike will have to be done by an Orbea dealer. The nearest dealer to me is a 2 hour drive away in another state who has not responded to me whether he has the equipment (GCU cable) to update the firmware on my bike. My question is - do I really need the update? It is supposed to be for the internal battery on my bike. What will it do? Is it necessary? Are there any advantages to the update?

My other issue is the elevations and total ascent and descent calculation on the app. I took a 40 mile out and back ride today on a road that is located on what was an old railroad grade. The elevation of the starting point was 1545 feet and the elevation at the turn-around was 2044 feet, essentially a 500 foot elevation change. I have checked these elevations and believe them to be correct. The app calculated a total ascent of 1946 feet and descent of 1941 feet. The grade of the road is very constant and I have to question the accuracy of these computations. I presume that it is calculated from GPS elevation data. The route profile shows many spikes and dips which I know do not exist. Is this reliable information? Is it because of faulty GPS data or a calculation problem with the app? This is one piece of data that I do check and the accuracy is important to me.

I have a 2019 Orbea Gain with the Mahle X35 and have been using the My SmartBike (ebikemotion) app on my Android phone since I purchased my bike new in 2021. It has been a challenge to keep up with all of the updates on the app with no forewarning, no usable manual and left to my own devises to figure out the changes. I had been off of my bike for almost a year due to an injury. I have very recently started to ride on the road again to get back in shape and prepare for a bike tour in September. As usual I have had to figure out the latest update to the My SmartBike app and find where all of my previous activity data is now located. I think I have that pretty well figured out now. Last night I went through all of the entries on this thread to try to understand the significance of the updates and to understand whether I needed to update the firmware on my X35 system. I have also just recently purchased a Mahle X35 range extender for the said bike tour. In my tests so far everything seems to be working as it should. The firmware update to my bike will have to be done by an Orbea dealer. The nearest dealer to me is a 2 hour drive away in another state who has not responded to me whether he has the equipment (GCU cable) to update the firmware on my bike. My question is - do I really need the update? It is supposed to be for the internal battery on my bike. What will it do? Is it necessary? Are there any advantages to the update?

My other issue is the elevations and total ascent and descent calculation on the app. I took a 40 mile out and back ride today on a road that is located on what was an old railroad grade. The elevation of the starting point was 1545 feet and the elevation at the turn-around was 2044 feet, essentially a 500 foot elevation change. I have checked these elevations and believe them to be correct. The app calculated a total ascent of 1946 feet and descent of 1941 feet. The grade of the road is very constant and I have to question the accuracy of these computations. I presume that it is calculated from GPS elevation data. The route profile shows many spikes and dips which I know do not exist. Is this reliable information? Is it because of faulty GPS data or a calculation problem with the app? This is one piece of data that I do check and the accuracy is important to me.
Hello Plumm Bob, you are experiencing what many of us have suffered with this application. There's no doubt that the Mahle X35 system is an excellent system, I have no complaints, but the My Smart app is really poor. I got tired of it and opted to stop using it quite a while ago. I only use my Garmin or Karoo Hammerhead bike computer. My ebike is a 2020 Orbea Gain D50, and since I acquired it, I haven't needed to do any firmware updates. I've read on many forums about people complaining about problems after a firmware update. I've chosen not to mess with what's working fine. In short, I ditched the app, use my bike computer, and I don't venture into any kind of updates.

Hello Plumm Bob, you are experiencing what many of us have suffered with this application. There's no doubt that the Mahle X35 system is an excellent system, I have no complaints, but the My Smart app is really poor. I got tired of it and opted to stop using it quite a while ago. I only use my Garmin or Karoo Hammerhead bike computer. My ebike is a 2020 Orbea Gain D50, and since I acquired it, I haven't needed to do any firmware updates. I've read on many forums about people complaining about problems after a firmware update. I've chosen not to mess with what's working fine. In short, I ditched the app, use my bike computer, and I don't venture into any kind of updates.
Totally true and I agree with everything. The app only had one period when it worked well.
After more updates, something keeps not working well. After the last update, the mobile application affects my PulsarOne computer on the handlebars,
where I change the assistance - my gears constantly change on their own (I put 1 and after a while I have 2 or vice versa). I have the application activated
in my shirt pocket while driving.It happens to me, for example, when going uphill, so I have to change the support on the bike frame.
New - Changes to the engine assistance that I mention:
it is quite possible that I had activated: Pulsometer - AUTO ASSISTANCE and there was an auto assistance
and a change of engine assistance according to the Max. beats setting. In settings Pulsometer I canceled Autoassistance.

Another thing is that I never know if my ride will be recorded in the whole range of parameters, sometimes the chest belt will not find it - other times it will.
Now I got a new Android 11 mobile and I can't pair it with my bike, it keeps giving me an error. I don't even post my findings here anymore because it's hopeless.
My bike works well when I ride without the app activated, only with PulsarOne. I'm not going to update anything because I'm worried that
I might not be able to ride my bike outside without problems next time.
The only positive thing about the app is that it is free and the idea is very good, but the result is sometimes sad and unreliable.

Attachments

• Android 11.jpg
    Android 11.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Thanks Javi for your comment. Agree with you that the Ebike must be updated with last firmware but considering that in my country there is not Orbea support center, I need to buy the device interface to do the upload by myseft. I'm not sure if this expense would be reasonable. I have been using my Orbea D50 for about a year without any problem neither firmware update, but if with this new firmware I would achieve a considerable improvement in the operation of the system, I could make the expense in the interface to load the update. Is there a way to or website to get a little more detailed info about firmware update?
Best Regards
My wife's Ribble has the pink flashing over voltage error every time it's charged up to 100% and my Ribble won't work reliably with the Pulsar One display/controller, both of these problems are supposed to be fixed by updating to the latest firmware. I have bought a GCU cable (from Velo-Store in France) and hope to report success here soon.

The latest update, vQ3.2, will update the Joystick data firmware to iM2EM126 and the Battery Data firmware to 4B, the Controller Data firmware will stay the same at 4107 (eventually extracted that info from a long series of emails to Mahle tech support).

As for the App, it's pretty unreliable in connecting to my bike and I wouldn't bother using it for navigation, there are far better apps out there for that. On my wife's bike it actually reports that she needs the firmware updated but it doesn't on mine although both bikes are considerably out of date. The problems people seem to be having changing assist levels via the App seem very like the problems I get with my Pulsar One (changes on its own, goes up a level then drops down etc) and I guess this is a firmware issue.

Last edited:
The problems people seem to be having changing assist levels
I also had the problem to be having changing assist levels while driving, but I disabled AUTO ASSISTANCE in the settings and the problem has not recurred yet.

Attachments

• PULS.jpg
    PULS.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 60
Back