Yet another "Careful of DOST Bikes" warning

I’m an optimist, but in the case of Dost, nope!
If you read enough reviews including google reviews, none of it lines up to be closed 3 weeks. Like me, for instance: 8/30/23 they got $4000 of my money and not only didn’t ever send me a bike, but never responded to ANY of my correspondence. The last time I ever heard from them was when I called to give my credit card number. That’s not lack of open correspondence, it’s robbery. I would understand if they could have given me any reasonable explanations, but nothing at all?

Yeah, I read just about everything about Dost that I could find and none of it sounds good. 3 months without word of any kind is unacceptable... I hope you get some resolution and get your $4000.00 back soon. Also, have you tried calling them from a different number? They could have your primary number flagged so they know not to answer your calls. Just a thought.

I’m an optimist, but in the case of Dost, nope!
If you read enough reviews including google reviews, none of it lines up to be closed 3 weeks. Like me, for instance: 8/30/23 they got $4000 of my money and not only didn’t ever send me a bike, but never responded to ANY of my correspondence. The last time I ever heard from them was when I called to give my credit card number. That’s not lack of open correspondence, it’s robbery. I would understand if they could have given me any reasonable explanations, but nothing at all?
Hey Dorothy... Just saw this review on the Dost Facebook page from 3 days ago.

We bought a Kope and a Drop about a year ago. Just made appointments online to go up to the showroom in the Vancouver area for a tune up. Received email confirmations, reminders, etc.
Today we drove up from Bellingham WA only to find the showroom and office dark and locked. Not a soul around. No answers when we called the phone number. Looks deserted and like someone jumped ship fast.
Hard to find any info. But even crazier, it looks like they are still taking orders online. Even with all the BBB claims against them.
So much for our extended warranty. Hopefully we’ll be able to get serviced by local bikes shops.
Buyers BEWARE!!

Doesn't look good...

I was considering a Dost Drop-CR this past summer until posts like this popped up. I'm glad I waited.

If anyone has any doubts, check out the Better Business Bureau website. It's the place to file a complaint if you haven't already done so:

Dost now has their lowest rating of "F".

I still am out 4K until my credit card might decide to have mercy on me.
My posts about this were to stop others.

Fairly new to eBikes. Been renting and more recently looking for 2 bikes. Had been looking at Dost. Liked their bikes. Unfortunately they have filed for Receivership. From the MNP website "MNP Ltd. was appointed as Interim Receiver pursuant to a Court Order effective December 21, 2023." Full details available from the MNP website including a link to a Jan 4, 2024 letter to customers on how to register a claim with the Receiver.

What is the URL? Searching MNP Ltd led me to pest control in the UK. Thank you!
If there is a letter to customers they owe big bucks to, it might be nice if they contacted us directly. But maybe even that is too much to ask?

I found the letter by searching dost bikes receivership. There is an email to contact someone there. Im still out $4,000.00.

Some of the forums I’m on don’t take links so I just pointed the heads up Info. Good you found MNP info. MNP is a respected trustworthy firm in Canada but bad news on what they do and have to manage. At this point, register with them but try your credit card company at same time for a refund. DVisa And MC are better at for providing refunds on basis of non delivery of goods or services. (Depends on your Credit Card features) FYI: I’ve been looking at Zen Bikes (Halifax) as my backup plan. I want a fairly full featured higher quality eBike and Zen appears to fit the bill -better than Dosk actual- but for me downside is they on the other side of Canada -1000s of miles away from Vancouver Island. That said the more I check them out the better they appear. Just wish they were more local. Good luck on your quest to hopefullly recover funds from the Dost situation Or from your credit card provider.

Thanks. My VISA has been investigating but I still don’t have definite refund yet.
I couldn’t wait so bought a used Gazelle c380. One of the reasons is because the Netherlands company has been in business 130 years, not 2 like dost. I test drove one at the same time I test drove a dost last August ( before the unlucky order to Dost) honestly, I liked the Gazelle as much, but Henry at dost offered me a ‘deal’ if I ordered directly from dost. ( mind you, they already knew I wouldn’t ever get a bike from them)
Been riding the Gazelle and absolutely love it. Even without pedal assist it feels so smooth and like such quality. I thought I would miss a throttle but have come to understand it isn’t needed. I thought I’d want one for a quick start under load ( kid trailer on back) but don’t need it. From what I understand it’s best for people with some disability. I’m old but knees and leg strength are good.

I just received the letter from my Visa that they are going to cover the 4K that Dost stiffed me.
I didn’t know for almost 3 months what was going to happen and finally I can relax and put it all behind me. Warning to anyone who is looking to buy a really good looking bike from a recent bike manufacturer: My LBS warned me before I ordered from Dost and I didn’t heed the warning, but I’ll pass on the words of wisdom to any of you. Find a trusted, long term brand and buy from as local a bike shop as you can. Buying the latest, greatest from couple years manufacturer just ain’t worth the anxiety ( unless you can easily walk away from your money and never look back)

Good to hear you got your refund. I purchased my 1st bike from Magnum (Metro 750) - within several months it started to have motor issues (grinding sounds) then the motor would just shut down for a few minutes. When I let Magnum know they said just to keep an eye on it and to let them know If I had further issues. Well, it was fine for the next 6 months, then 6 weeks after the 1-year warranty was up, it started to act up again... Now it has been at the LBS for almost 4 months, fighting with them to replace the motor.

I told my LBS I wanted to purchase a different bike (Mid Drive) and I would just sell the magnum... SOOO they suggested a Dost, which After testing it out for a few rides I purchased the Dost Kope Chain. (in stock) - So far so good, but I've only got to ride it a short time before the winter kicked in. So, I own a Magnum that needs to be fixed and then sold, and a 3-month-old Dost that is now out of business and I am left with no warranty. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have no big issues with this one.

I really hope anybody who owns a Dost can ride without warranty issues. If it was well made, maybe there won’t be issues.
It seems to be known now to all that Dost is out of business after having stiffed so many of us.
Im happy to ride my used Gazelle c380 and here in NW Oregon, I ride all year. My bike is pointed toward the front door in my entry way. Ready to go. And that’s the way I like it.
Super happy my Dost angst is over.
Thanks to those of you for your replies. And help.

For the record, my credit card company did finally get my money back. All I needed was the one email from DOST stating that they would issue me a full refund ... the credit card company had proof of my original purchase and proof that the refund was missing and so the 1 email was all they needed to proceed.

I also urge you to complain to BBB to drive down their rating as a warning to others.

Best of luck on recovering all your lost money
FILE with the US FTC online as well as dost appears to still ne taking prders for their newest Crate Cargo bike via our R & D stolen funding.

Those scum bags (dost) are at it again. I heeded your advise and just filed a report with the ftc. ( easy to do; just search ftc) They won’t do much, but if it prevents one person from having to go through what I did.
I’ve never heard one word from Dost since I sent them $4000 on Aug 30, 2023.
Their website is all glossy and promising after they stiffed tens of thousands from dupes like me. And they get by with it? Shocking.

Those scum bags (dost) are at it again. I heeded your advise and just filed a report with the ftc. ( easy to do; just search ftc) They won’t do much, but if it prevents one person from having to go through what I did.
I’ve never heard one word from Dost since I sent them $4000 on Aug 30, 2023.
Their website is all glossy and promising after they stiffed tens of thousands from dupes like me. And they get by with it? Shocking.
I should have warned everyone in 2022 that things weren't right. I would call them and they would say that my items were backordered. That's probably when things were going sideways because I did get my bike and some things on my order. But I have an extended warranty that is worthless, and missing some things that I wanted to go with my bike. Thankfully, the bike has been great. But in the future, I'm definitely going to focus on big name brands that have been around and my LBS that has been in business for awhile. That's the best way for me to go.

Back