Scott e-RIDE Addict 30 and the world of easier hills

gorgeous bike. i love just about everything about it, including the red to grey gradient!!

as shown in the original photo, the riding position actually looks fairly relaxed, without much drop.
Glad you like it! I’m just coming up to 1000 miles on it. Very comfortable and easy. Still feel lucky and the bank balance is improving too!

You got your new bike yet?
Yes and no. It arrived on Friday but I gave it to the local shop as I needed help with adjusting the SRAM gear / derailleur (for whatever reason they did not set this part up in the German shop before shipping it to Denmark). I'll get it back tomorrow I hope. Can't wait to try it out :)

Would love to learn of your thoughts on the SRAM gears. The 104/ultegra is fabulous although the blowers gears only get used if I switch the electric motor off on a hill to warm up. I did not realise that going fast can get very cold if you havent worked up a bit of heat!

Got the bike back from the local shop today and after work went for my first ride. Still struggeling witht gettting in and out the cleat pedals (I am a newbie to race cycling) but all went very well. Wow this bike is fast! With my commuter e-hybrid from Specialized I do usually around the 22-26 km/h on average while here with the Scott Addict I stayed most of the time at 27-31 km/h and thus the motor kicked in only seldomly. It was only a 16 km ride in total (as it was getting dark already) but it was great fun. The SRAM gear shifters work flawlessly (so far only used 12 gears - have to get used to the main shifter yet). Battery usage was 8% (mostly in green mode).
I probably still need to adjust the handlebar a bit - it feels like the hoods point a bit too much downward.
What a great fast cycle. And I did overtake a heavy ebike at a speed where the motor was just idle :)
Still also need to check on how to apply updates. The cable has an old USB connector but my Mac only takes USB-c, so will need an adapter.
IMG_1731.jpeg
IMG_1738.jpeg

Would love to learn of your thoughts on the SRAM gears. The 104/ultegra is fabulous although the blowers gears only get used if I switch the electric motor off on a hill to warm up. I did not realise that going fast can get very cold if you havent worked up a bit of heat!
Hmm mot sure I understand what you mean. What are blowers gears? The gear shifts on this bike work very smooth , as does the front derailleur

Just noticed that the saddle came a few centimeters down while I was riding. There is only one screw but even when undone, the saddle cannot be pulled up. I guess this takes some force as it is carbon? Don't wan't to break something...
IMG_1730.jpeg
IMG_1741.jpeg

Gorgeous! Agree about the speed. Glad of the shimano brakes reining you in as you realise you are going faster than you should! I had the same problem with the seat post. Just loosen the screw and heave away. It comes loose.

Hmm mot sure I understand what you mean. What are blowers gears? The gear shifts on this bike work very smooth , as does the front derailleur
Should have been lower gears. Spellchecker has its very own sense of humour.

Thanks for the video and write up. I’m also in the lakes and have a Wilier with X20 on order. Have you tried the bike on any of the really steep stuff? I’m wondering if there is enough torque to be getting over some of the high passes on the route out of Duddon valley, Eskdale, and Langdale.

Thanks for the video and write up. I’m also in the lakes and have a Wilier with X20 on order. Have you tried the bike on any of the really steep stuff? I’m wondering if there is enough torque to be getting over some of the high passes on the route out of Duddon valley, Eskdale, and Langdale.
I have yet to find a gradient that this bike would not just tootle up. I did the demo in the Eden valley where a sign told me the grade was 20% and it just went up without demur… I believe it could climb walls if you could stay on. The blurb says a gentle push. On level one it’s just that. Level two is a serious shove. Level three is just mental. I almost never use level three unless I’m mucking about. Last Sunday I stupidly believed a Garmin road route suggestion through Geltsdale and carried the bloody bike for 7 miles over a footpath. Soaked, cold and absolutely knackered I rode the 12 miles home on level one and two - which reminds me. I get cold if I don’t work up enough heat because the bike is so effortless. I have to switch the assistance off altogether so I can warm up again. You will LOVE it.

Sounds great thanks. Having previously done unplanned wheelies trying to get up Honister it’s the staying on bit I struggle with :). Roll on bike delivery next Easter.

I hope that wasn’t 7 miles in cleats…..

Sounds great thanks. Having previously done unplanned wheelies trying to get up Honister it’s the staying on bit I struggle with :). Roll on bike delivery next Easter.

I hope that wasn’t 7 miles in cleats…..
It was. The worst bit was when I thought that the track had improved enough to ride. Wronggggg……upside down I went in a peat bog with the bike on top of me.

Attachments

• 10CF19BD-BB59-40F0-BB43-EB85F849CC08.jpeg
    10CF19BD-BB59-40F0-BB43-EB85F849CC08.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 248
That doesn't even look like an ebike!
I really like the look of this bike and my favorite local bike dealer sells Scott bikes, but damn, that new Trek e-road bike, with the TQ motor, looks promising.

Gorgeous! Agree about the speed. Glad of the shimano brakes reining you in as you realise you are going faster than you should! I had the same problem with the seat post. Just loosen the screw and heave away. It comes loose.
Thanks, well it didn't come loose when unscrewing it so I played it safe and took it again to the local shop who fixed it and applied some carbon paste too so it should not come down by itself again.

Had a nice longer tour today along the Øresund from Copenhagen northbound. Perfect weather, warm, sunny and light wind from the back.
Even was very, very lucky when the tube of the front wheel suddenly got a hole (oh noooo....) as we passed by Northern Copenhagen because we found an open cycle store (on a Sunday! ) who could fix the bike in half an hour. We waited in the burger bar just across and used the time for a quick bite.

As my bike partner hasn't trained so much lately, we took it light for most of the journey, and hence I rode 95% of the time with the motor being in idle mode (white light with a green teint on the head unit.)

The bike is incredibly fast and so much fun to ride. With my other e-bike, the hybrid commuter style bike (Specialized Vado SL 4.0 EQ, 17 kgs, 7 gear speed)) the engine is active in 85% of the time ands usual speed is between 24-26 km/h. With the the Scott Addict e-ride (11,8 kgs 24 gear speed), usually my speed is around 27 km/h, often speeding over 30 km/h and the motor is only active 5-20% of the time - i.e. totally the opposite to the other bike. But of course it's also two totally different concepts. The Vado SL is safer for commuting and into city centre and takes baggage while the Scott is more of a Porsche for the race track :)

We had so much fun today. But we played it easy as we wanted to bike together, hence we also decided to take the train to go back from the north of the Sound the and stepped off the airport, from where we toook our last 7 km sprint home. A perfect day.

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpeg
    IMG_1796.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1798.jpeg
    IMG_1798.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1800.jpeg
    IMG_1800.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 177
Ha! Wow, you sound as smitten with your new bike as ! am with mine!

Today the roads were very wet so I took the Genesis out because it has mudguards. It seems so rough and is such hard work compared to the Scott. But so it should. I can have five of these for the price of the e-ride addict.

I bet you were riding along today with a big grin on your face!

They are a bit good these ebikes aren't they?

The Genesis Equilibrium and the Look 566 eye up the new kid in my garage suspiciously. They are intimidated by its abilities, whereas I am intimidated by the humungous credit card bill coming down the line.

I tried a nearly new Bianchi E-Impulso road bike and was not impressed. And it was such a bargain. But, if like me you know in the first 20 yards, I realised it wasn't for me. Bloody bloody buggering bugger.

Reading up on the new X20 from Mahle, I was taken aback when Arragon's of Penrith, Cumbria, told me they had just received a Scott e-RIDE into stock when I took my Genesis in for a service. Arragons know a thing or two about bikes. They know a thing or two about selling them too. They let me sit on the bike, then take it for a spin before gently reeling me in, helpless as a landed trout to take my money off me. They are well worth a visit if you are in the Lake District or the North West Pennines. They are friendly, helpful and nice to deal with. Ok, yes they did give me a discount on the bike as well.

The e-RIDE Addict 30 is just fabulous. Fast, comfortable, fast, smooth, fast, controllable. And fast. At my age, hills are getting to my arthritic knees, but with the Scott I can push a button and steep hills become a much gentler proposition. Steeper hills require another push of the button at which point everyone knows you have got an electric bike because you are faintly out of breath while paramedics scoop the remains of cyclists half your age onto stretchers behind you.

So far the system on the bike is settling in nicely, giving me power when I want it and backing off when I don't. I love it and I get up early so I can go for a ride when it is still cool out. And that is dedication coming from me.

However (and you knew it was coming) the Mahle software on my iPhone is just dreadful. Abysmal. Not only are half of the functionalities not on the app yet (like the useful stuff), the app seems to suck up all the power from my iPhone 13 pro. Like 75% down to 4% in 17 miles. All to tell me what my Garmin Edge 530 tells me while I breeze along.

I'll write a review next week when I have done a few more miles to make sure I have a clue what I am on about.
View attachment 131890
Hi
They are a bit good these ebikes aren't they?

The Genesis Equilibrium and the Look 566 eye up the new kid in my garage suspiciously. They are intimidated by its abilities, whereas I am intimidated by the humungous credit card bill coming down the line.

I tried a nearly new Bianchi E-Impulso road bike and was not impressed. And it was such a bargain. But, if like me you know in the first 20 yards, I realised it wasn't for me. Bloody bloody buggering bugger.

Reading up on the new X20 from Mahle, I was taken aback when Arragon's of Penrith, Cumbria, told me they had just received a Scott e-RIDE into stock when I took my Genesis in for a service. Arragons know a thing or two about bikes. They know a thing or two about selling them too. They let me sit on the bike, then take it for a spin before gently reeling me in, helpless as a landed trout to take my money off me. They are well worth a visit if you are in the Lake District or the North West Pennines. They are friendly, helpful and nice to deal with. Ok, yes they did give me a discount on the bike as well.

The e-RIDE Addict 30 is just fabulous. Fast, comfortable, fast, smooth, fast, controllable. And fast. At my age, hills are getting to my arthritic knees, but with the Scott I can push a button and steep hills become a much gentler proposition. Steeper hills require another push of the button at which point everyone knows you have got an electric bike because you are faintly out of breath while paramedics scoop the remains of cyclists half your age onto stretchers behind you.

So far the system on the bike is settling in nicely, giving me power when I want it and backing off when I don't. I love it and I get up early so I can go for a ride when it is still cool out. And that is dedication coming from me.

However (and you knew it was coming) the Mahle software on my iPhone is just dreadful. Abysmal. Not only are half of the functionalities not on the app yet (like the useful stuff), the app seems to suck up all the power from my iPhone 13 pro. Like 75% down to 4% in 17 miles. All to tell me what my Garmin Edge 530 tells me while I breeze along.

I'll write a review next week when I have done a few more miles to make sure I have a clue what I am on about.
View attachment 131890
Hi Ikell, Love the look of the Scott eRide30, I have a question about the app for the x20 hub. Can you just use the bike without having to down load the app? or is the app a must have ?? I'm thinking of getting an eRoad bike, and drawn between Orbea M30, x35, hub or the Scott eRide 30, with the x20 hub. BTW I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review of the Scott.. Thanks

Hi

Hi Ikell, Love the look of the Scott eRide30, I have a question about the app for the x20 hub. Can you just use the bike without having to down load the app? or is the app a must have ?? I'm thinking of getting an eRoad bike, and drawn between Orbea M30, x35, hub or the Scott eRide 30, with the x20 hub. BTW I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review of the Scott.. Thanks
The app is useful for checking e.g on the SW solution you have on the bike. But for riding the bike you don’t need it. I use my Garmin device instead for getting all the data displayed but even that is optional

Hello Moss
Thank you for your kind remarks about my review - glad you enjoyed it and hope it is helpful.
Like JustRiding, I hardly use the app on rides. Although its latest firmware/software update, released just before Christmas, claims less battery drain, I haven’t used it on a ride. I also trust my Garmin and leave the phone to link up with my Varia.

Hope you enjoy choosing between the Scott and the Orbea M30. As I said in my review, I was disappointed in the performance of the X35 on a Bianchi frame. The Scott has masses of shove, so far more than I have needed. But the Orbea has got great reviews. If you get to ride them both I would love to learn of your views and your decision.

Back