Yamaha: "the mid drive ebike you never knew you wanted, at a price you can afford"

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
I am still in the research stage and now have added Yamaha to my shortlist. I live on the gulf coast and really like the idea of belt drive for low maintenance and easy cleanup if ridden on the beach. Yamaha doesn't offer a belt drive but maybe that isn't a deal killer. When a company like this doesn't offer a belt drive it makes me think that maybe I'm missing something. I do like everything else that I have read and the reputation of Yamaha products and support.

I am still in the research stage and now have added Yamaha to my shortlist. I live on the gulf coast and really like the idea of belt drive for low maintenance and easy cleanup if ridden on the beach. Yamaha doesn't offer a belt drive but maybe that isn't a deal killer. When a company like this doesn't offer a belt drive it makes me think that maybe I'm missing something. I do like everything else that I have read and the reputation of Yamaha products and support.
Yamaha has a belt drive. The Giant Lafree E+1 $2400 is a belt driven bike.

My wife's bike has shimano steps drive and it is quite powerful but compared to the Yamaha drive, it's a little crude even though it has torque and cadence sensors. Yamaha has done an exceptional job with their drive systems for a very "natural" riding experience. The shimano steps is nowhere near as refined but it's still very good

Last edited:
Is it possible that it's something that particular LBS may have done? You have a warranty I wouldn't just give up. Yamaha is a very good company.... I love my bike. I know it can be frustrating but I would try again.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Tara! There is much I love about my Yamaha. Which is why the creak is so frustrating. I will be contacting Yamaha soon and going back to my LBS to get it resolved once and for all...I hope ?

Thanks for the words of encouragement Tara! There is much I love about my Yamaha. Which is why the creak is so frustrating. I will be contacting Yamaha soon and going back to my LBS to get it resolved once and for all...I hope ?
I know my LBS has been extremely helpful. I called them 3 weeks after I purchased my bike and asked if there was a way to make my bike go faster. At the time I really thought I wanted that.... since then 20mph is fast enough. My bike shop offered to let me trade my bike for something faster. They helped me adjust my bike when I was in pain. Tuned up my bike twice. I put a lot of miles on it. But the coolest thing they did for me of all.... I got a flat on the bike trail and they came to me and fixed that flat. No charge. My bike has that Yamaha motor and it performs so well that I honestly cannot tell I have an ebike. I feel like I couldn't have chose a better bike. I had no idea at the time what the heck I wanted but I chose well. I really wanted the Specialized Turbo Como 4.0 but in the end I chose to save $1400 and go with my Giant Lafree E+2. I wish you the very best John. I just know that it's gonna turn out right for you. ?

Me gusta yamaha para un fuerte soporte de cadencia 0, también porque se puede presentar especialmente en la doble placa de trekking / mtb con múltiples desarrollos de cadencia según el terreno, el motor es confiable con un mantenimiento adecuado, algunas personas ya tienen 27,000 km y están aún funcionando y con 700 cargas de batería, aún retiene el 70% o más de la carga de la batería, para mí es esencial que el motor tenga la opción de desbloquear la velocidad.

I like yamaha for strong cadence support 0, also because it can be presented especially in the double trekking / mtb plate with multiple cadence developments depending on the terrain, the engine is reliable with proper maintenance, some people already have 27,000 km and They are still running and with 700 battery charges, it still retains 70% or more of the battery charge, for me it is essential that the engine has the option to unlock the speed.

The removal of the battery is very good to remove weight and to climb stairs or to climb the bike support of the car ,look at my photo

Last edited:
What exactly is "proper maintenance" on a Yamaha motor? The only thing I can do to mine without opening it up is clean the outer seals

cambiar los cojinetes y reemplazar la junta de sellado

change bearings and replace sealing gasket

Attachments

• RODAMIENTOS+PEDALIER+EST+NDAR.jpg
    RODAMIENTOS+PEDALIER+EST+NDAR.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 394
How many bearings need to be changed and where can I buy the bearings and sealing gasket? I asked my dealer and he had no clue as a matter of fact he told me I'd void my 3 year warranty if I opened up the motor

¿How many kilometers does the engine have?

¿Do you have noises when pedaling?

if you do not have 8000 km or noises when pedaling ,you do not need it yet and you need tools that better a workshop .

On my 3rd E-bike and my first Yamaha mid-drive on a Haibike Sduro 10.0 and Wow, what a great riding experience with that motor with zero cadence and 80NM of torque in EXPW mode. It is a beast and feels like it could climb just about anything you put in front of it. I recently put it side by side with a new Turbo Levo and it could not compete from the get go. I am very happy with the performance thus far and I now take multiple rides weekly opposed to half of that before. I would recommend any E-bike with a Yamaha motor to anyone new to the market IMO. Ride safe everyone!

Last edited:
Back