Yamaha PW speed unlockers... SpeedBox2 vs EPlus vs BadAssBox 4 or 3.4

Two Questions:

1. Which of these devices (if any) would work on the Yamaha/Giant SyncDrive motor that is on the Giant LaFree E+1 ?

2. Are these devices Hard on the Systems that they Manipulate ? (Like Steroids take their toll over time in athletes......)

Craig 😎
1. Any/all including the ‘free -hack’. As long as it has a speed sensor on the chain stay.
2. No, but voids the warranty.

Here is the Bikespeed list: Scroll down or just click on shop and it will guide you... https://www.bikespeed.de/RS_en.html
I have been exchanging emails with the BikeSpeed folks, even including pictures of my motor and display. I specifically told them that my bike has the Yamaha hub mounted speed sensor, not the standard magnet on a spoke. They assure me that their unit will work on my bike. I’ll probably go ahead and order one. At least they allow returns if the unit doesn’t work to my satisfaction.

The shop manager at the Yamaha dealer is the one that suggested I try a speed unlocker. He said Yamaha has no way to tell whether you’ve installed one unless the dealer tells them. He said he doesn’t report any.

AFAIK the BikespeedRS plugs into the speed sensor input connector at the motor, so it doesn't matter which sensor it has.
My dealer mentioned the speedbox and I said, 'yeah but it voids the warranty'. He just smiled.

Keep in mind if you consistently ride over 20 it will eat the battery.

I tried one with the crank-mag hack and it is mind-blowing. The thing just pulls and pulls. Brake rotors sizzle. 🤣

AFAIK the BikespeedRS plugs into the speed sensor input connector at the motor, so it doesn't matter which sensor it has.
My dealer mentioned the speedbox and I said, 'yeah but it voids the warranty'. He just smiled.

Keep in mind if you consistently ride over 20 it will eat the battery.

I tried one with the crank-mag hack and it is mind-blowing. The thing just pulls and pulls. Brake rotors sizzle. 🤣
Yes my need for speed required more batteries and bigger brakes but there is no stopping me now .

Hello

I have a new quality box for 2017-2018 Yamaha PW-x or PW-SE from SpeedUp in Italy. It does not work with the Yamaha brand ebikes given the use of the rear hub sensor. I connected it to test, saw the lack of speed read, removed and contacted SpeedUp who confirmed that it cannot work with a Yamaha rear hub speed sensor.

It will work with any other eBike (Giant, etc.) using theses two 2017-8 Yamaha motors. I think it is the best of these available, it turns on an off with a double light switch press (light will return to on or off, no interference).

SpeedUp also has the best information available online about there on these boxes, I corresponded a great deal with them, and they were light years ahead of others I asked questions of. (Some web pages are in Italian, but English as well if you dig a bit.). Here is the page and model:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

As this does not work with Yamaha's Cross Core, Rush Washbash etc. Rather than return it and risk being charged Italian customs fees, I would sell it for less that I paid ($162.00). Message me if you are interested, otherwise will return and pay import taxes. Thanks.

F67

Attachments

• Istruzioni-USO-RIBELLE-per-YAMAHA-PW-X-e-PW-SE.pdf
    793 KB · Views: 688
Why don’t you have them exchange it for the correct one? Both are listed on their site.
Probably the same reason I can't return mine to Poland; US Customs wouldn't let it out so it was returned to me. I guess they're pretty tight about exporting electronic gadgets.

I have been exchanging emails with the BikeSpeed folks, even including pictures of my motor and display. I specifically told them that my bike has the Yamaha hub mounted speed sensor, not the standard magnet on a spoke. They assure me that their unit will work on my bike. I’ll probably go ahead and order one. At least they allow returns if the unit doesn’t work to my satisfaction.

The shop manager at the Yamaha dealer is the one that suggested I try a speed unlocker. He said Yamaha has no way to tell whether you’ve installed one unless the dealer tells them. He said he doesn’t report any.
Very curious if this will work for you. I also have a Yamaha-branded ebike.

Very curious if this will work for you. I also have a Yamaha-branded ebike.
I too will be following your experience with this tuner as I have tried twice and returned the Pear MSO tuner for my Yamaha Cross Core. It didn't do anything except turn the led red and throw a check sensor code.

I've returned both tuners to the company ( they sent a different version that had same results) and am awaiting refund.

Good luck..somebody will make it correctly for us.

Why don’t you have them exchange it for the correct one? Both are listed on their site.
Interestingly, the one designed for the 2019 Yamaha bikes does not appear to have the correct connector style (the Cross Core has a male 5-pin connector on the motor, whereas the 2019 SpeedUp box is made for the female 5-pin connector on the motor).

So it seems like the Yamaha E-bikes are using the old-style motor connector, but have some other kind of incompatibility due to the hub sensor.

Giant 2020 has a six-sensor controller, I thought the yam-brand already had that.
Bummer.
My 2019 is super easy to derestrict.

Just speculating, but I suspect that the system on the Yamaha bikes is likely the same as that on the other 2018 PW-SE models, but with slightly different firmware to support the different measurements from the speed sensors. So when the devices designed for the magnet-on-the-spoke sensors try to interrupt the signal, they end up translating it incorrectly.

Looks like a breakthrough, the key distinction is claimed there and Cross-core and other named. :)

Like the others above, I also thought about returning my Speedup dongle to Italy, and found that 1) DHL wanted nearly $400 to deliver this little thing, and 2) Italian customs was likely to ask for another fee or loose the package entirely.

The one I have discussed in the thread (SpeedUp Ribelle for PW-X and PW-SE) will work for these 2017 or 2018 Yamaha motors on a Giant, Hai, or any other non-Yamaha branded bike using a spoke sensor, and is the best functionality of all of them for with the best documentation and support. Contact me if you want it, half price should do, it is new unused.

For the SpeedBox 2, I'd like to try it. Would be really great for a long commute- I found that for me at least, riding in town and conventional exercise I do not really need to go above the stock setup max assist speed with the Cross Core. Please post any experiences or review of it, still of interest as an option. ;)

SF

I really wish the SpeedBox 2 had a configurable speed limit. My jurisdiction limits ebikes to 25mph, and I don’t really want to go faster than that. I may buy one anyway hoping that I can find a good speed / effort / battery consumption balance by adjusting the assist level for terrain. I commute on a rail to trail path that has a very consistent grade for long stretches.

Looks like SpeedBox has released a SpeedBox 2 specifically for Yamaha-branded ebikes. Has anyone tried it yet?

The Speedbox 2 is also available on EBay along with the SpeedClip BadA$$Box that I use. ;)

So where to purchase in the US? I purchased one from Poland that turned out to be non-Yamaha but I couldn't return it as US Customs wouldn't let it leave the country.

I posted the EBay links above that ship to the USA... my previous order took about 3 weeks to arrive. ;)

Back