Yamaha PW speed unlockers... SpeedBox2 vs EPlus vs BadAssBox 4 or 3.4

Which one are you using?

I picked up this one for $75 shipped.

For those of us with the original PW motor this seems to be the best bang for the buck:

Ordered it on February 26th. They emailed me to make sure I had ordered the correct dongle and after I confirmed they shipped it from Italy on February 27th. I got it in the mail today. Actually two dongles as I picked up an extra for a buddy who also got in on the $777 bicycle blue book deal.

it did not come with installation instructions but you can follow the SpeedBox2 video on YouTube as the connections are exactly the same. Installation was more involved than I anticipated. The SpeedBox2 video makes it look so simple pulling out 2 of 3 motor bolts and rotating the PW motor down to get to the wiring but this wasn't possible on my Rebel Lite. There was an extra face plate and the housing allowed limited rotation so I actually had to remove all 3 motor bolts and pull the motor out to get to the wiring. Not a big deal but now I get why some prefer to go the badassbox route and live with the incorrect speed as it can be a little unnerving pulling out the motor.

It seems to be working. At first I got an error code but after reading the operating instructions it says you have to do a full reset and enter the wheel size. After I did that the error message went away.

Edit: error message came back this morning when I tried to power up. I was able to bypass by removing and reinserting the battery within a couple seconds after the display goes blank (but not if I waited longer). I put a watch battery in the LCD display and voila, error on startup is gone. Seems like it wants to see a LCD with some juice on startup, otherwise it throws an error.

Unfortunately, the speed does not display properly in mph. I think it's always displaying in km as changing the units from mph to km still displays the same numeric speed. Don't buy this if you want to see stats in mph! A bit annoyed as they had confirmed before shipping that it would display properly in mph. Unless I want to open up the motor and remove the dongle I'm pretty much stuck with km if I want accurate speed and stats (regardless of whether tuning is enabled).

Last edited:
I picked up this one for $75 shipped.

Ordered it on February 26th. They emailed me to make sure I had ordered the correct dongle and after I confirmed they shipped it from Italy on February 27th. I got it in the mail today. Actually two dongles as I picked up an extra for a buddy who also got in on the $777 bicycle blue book deal.

it did not come with installation instructions but you can follow the SpeedBox2 video on YouTube as the connections are exactly the same. Installation was more involved than I anticipated. The SpeedBox2 video makes it look so simple pulling out 2 of 3 motor bolts and rotating the PW motor down to get to the wiring but this wasn't possible on my Rebel Lite. There was an extra face plate and the housing allowed limited rotation so I actually had to remove all 3 motor bolts and pull the motor out to get to the wiring. Not a big deal but now I get why some prefer to go the badassbox route and live with the incorrect speed as it can be a little unnerving pulling out the motor.

It seems to be working. At first I got an error code but after reading the operating instructions it says you have to do a full reset and enter the wheel size. After I did that the error message went away.

Edit: error message came back this morning when I tried to power up. I was able to bypass by removing and reinserting the battery within a couple seconds after the display goes blank (but not if I waited longer). I put a watch battery in the LCD display and voila, error on startup is gone. Seems like it wants to see a LCD with some juice on startup, otherwise it throws an error.

Unfortunately, the speed does not display properly in mph. I think it's always displaying in km as changing the units from mph to km still displays the same numeric speed. Don't buy this if you want to see stats in mph! A bit annoyed as they had confirmed before shipping that it would display properly in mph. Unless I want to open up the motor and remove the dongle I'm pretty much stuck with km if I want accurate speed and stats (regardless of whether tuning is enabled).
Thanks for the update on your purchase. Perhaps it may be time to purchase a GPS cycle computer for accurate readings. You can find them on E-bay for reasonable pricing. Always a workaround with this issue using speed dongles.

I'm fine with it being a math major. Plus it will help the transition if we ever convert to metric. :eek:
It is almost impossible for me to make calculations that fast on my interface readout. The numbers in mph change so quickly as I slow/gain speed while riding at a steady cadence. One of the major drawbacks with the SpeedClip delimiter.

On my first ebike I rode over 2 years was set to km. I never really noticed it or bothered to change it. It's a BBS01 and I spin out before it runs out of assist. Oh, look at that, I just passed 25, moment of silence for those riding in the UK.

LMAO right now! Good one! Thanks for that...

Well, the good news is they taught us how to type. I never understood why, and never used it for twenty years, and then all of a sudden computers landed on the scene, and now that's how I earn a living. Who'da thunk. LOL

I really wish the SpeedBox 2 had a configurable speed limit. My jurisdiction limits ebikes to 25mph, and I don’t really want to go faster than that. I may buy one anyway hoping that I can find a good speed / effort / battery consumption balance by adjusting the assist level for terrain. I commute on a rail to trail path that has a very consistent grade for long stretches.
I decided to go for a VOLspeed why?

I just bought a Haibike SDURO Trekking 2.0 2020. The reason I select 2.0 was due to that I wanted the latest version of either Yamaha (PW-ST) or Bosch (Performance CX) engine. In this simple comparison it's obvious that what you are paying for is engine, battery and display. I don't want the intube version of battery since the normal one are more easy to carry and I don't need the advanced display.

Automatic Support Mode for the new Yamaha PW-ST System will give a horse kick at start so for that reason i decided to go for VOLspeed with option to set maximum motor support (i.e. 25 or 35 km/h) and dynamic mode.
Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 08.13.43.png

Last edited:
anyone know where i can buy this to be shipped in the USA?

If you are looking for a speed box to tune you Yamaha motor... here are some options on eBay. 😉

Last edited:
I have a SpeedBox 2 for a pw motor for sale. I’m based in sf ( I have the motor and led controller that it connects to as well. ).

Just as a heads up if anyone has the new Yamaha Moro (x2 motor) there has been a change with the connector coming from the new style display unit that Will Not fit any of these. See my posting for further info... So far none of these manufacturers have access to the needed new connector that I am aware of.

Attachments

• 0191D03F-7B95-4D16-8544-3FEDA438EE9B.jpeg
    0191D03F-7B95-4D16-8544-3FEDA438EE9B.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 315
  • 4F0A38B4-254E-4CB5-8BCB-0440B7EDCF5A.jpeg
    4F0A38B4-254E-4CB5-8BCB-0440B7EDCF5A.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 297
Honestly I would consider buying Speedbox. If you take a look at their website you won't be confused about what product do you want buy for your Yamaha PW because every pruduct is provided with information which motor it is compatible with.

Honestly I would consider buying Speedbox. If you take a look at their website you won't be confused about what product do you want buy for your Yamaha PW because every pruduct is provided with information which motor it is compatible with.

Hey Guys I am absolutely certain that currently Nobody has any speed unlockers for the Yamaha PW-x2 motors period. As you can see from my pics the issue is the new connectors that will Not fit. Here is a reply right from the horse’s mouth…

Thank you for reaching out to me.

Unfortunately there is no SpeedBox compatible with the Yamaha Moro Pro yet and I´m not able to provide you with any timeframe.

I will save your e-mail address with this enquiry and we´ll let you know if the situation changes.

If you require any further information, feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Ivan Sura
Sales Representative
Email:
[email protected]
Cell:
+420 720 505 309
SpeedBox
www.speedbox-tuning.com
Ebike Electronic s.r.o. | Rybna 716/24 | 110 00 Praha 1 | Czech Republic | ID: 05553555 | VAT: CZ05553555
Facebook Instagram YouTube
Dne 19.04.2021 v 6:38 SpeedBox - Jiri Voldan napsal(a): “

I have had absolutely no luck finding a unit from anywhere at this point even though their initial ad may say they will work. After contacting everyone, they all say they won’t work.
Cheers 🍻

Back