Yamaha PWseries LCD Display Overview

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! I recently visited the Accell Group in Simi Valley, California, and got to check out some entry-level Haibikes which use the base model Yamaha PWseries mid-drive motor and associated LCD display. I really love this display because it's removable, large and easy to see, and has a remote button pad with a Micro-USB port to maintain and charge your portable electronics, like a phone for GPS or a secondary headlight. The following video goes over most of the standard readouts, how to change the clock and switch units from miles to kilometers, as well as how to reset trip stats.

As always, I welcome your feedback on error codes, what works and what could use improvement for this display, and anything else. I personally was bummed out that Yamaha has disabled walk mode for North America (it didn't work for me, and this is what an Accell Group rep had told me). Considering that Bosch allows it (and many of the smaller brands) but Trek, Shimano, and Yamaha do not... it seems like the field is 50/50. Walk mode isn't something I use a lot, but it can be handy, and I feel that maybe these companies are being too sensitive about the throttle Class 2 thing. A ~2 mph walk mode is not a throttle, and could really benefit you during a flat tire, getting out of a cellar or up some other kind of ramp, or just walking across the grass with a friend. Anyway, more details and tips follow:
  • The display uses a coin battery CR2032 and shows the clock at all times, there's a little hole on the top right edge for use with a string leash or lanyard.
  • The buttons on the control pad include Power (top edge), Up, Down, Lights, S (Settings or Select), and Walk Mode (bottom edge) which is disabled. The button pad is compact and seems well sealed against water and dust.
  • To enter the settings menu, hold S and Power when starting the bike up, this lets you adjust the clock and change units from miles to kilometers using the up and down arrow keys and pressing S to confirm, press the Power button to exit.
  • To reset trip stats, navigate to trip distance, average speed, or max speed by pressing the S button and then hold S until it clears.
  • I believe that the control pad Micro-USB port puts out 5 Volts 500 Miliamps.
Below are some screenshots from the official Yamaha website for historical reference, in case it changes. You can view the source material at: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) and the main Yamaha ebike motor page at: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

yamaha-ebike-compact-multi-function-meter.jpgyamaha-ebike-lcd-multi-function-drive-controller.jpgyamaha-ebike-led-3-way-digital-display-main-switch.jpg

Attachments

• yamaha-pw-electric-bike-display-user-manual.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 1,356
Last edited:
Thanks Court, I'm sure that will help a few people out.
I've got that display set-up on a Fullnine in New Zealand and the walk mode does work over here.
But it's not much use as it's almost impossible to push the button with gloves on.
Much better button on the later PW-X

Walk mode is disabled here in the USA, but I can definitely see how it would be difficult to use. That button is really stiff and hard to push. You practically need two hands to keep the remote in place.

Does anybody know how to program the wheel circumference for a Yamaha PW (LCD) system?
I changed the original tires to a larger model, but have no idea where this should be programmed.
I've asked the question already to Haibike, but never heard back.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response.

I assume you mean this can not be done by the owner. Somebody must be able to do this, as the same set up is used on bikes with various wheel/tire sizes.

I changed the Michelin Protek Cross, 42-622, 28" x 1.6" tyres to Schwalbe Smart Sam 45-622 and now have a difference between the speed/mileage indications of the Yamaha LCD display and the GPS system I use. More importantly the PW now cuts out support at a lower speed (actual) than indicated.

If this cannot be (re)programmed by the owner, I would consider this a major flaw in design.

If it could be user programmed, then the speed restriction could be bypassed. If the slightly slower speed cutoff bothers you, you can install a dongle to remove the speed restriction completely. You will still have an error in the reported speed and distance, but you won't have the motor cut out when you don't want it to.

I appreciate the arguments for not allowing the user to alter this setting, but would expect this can be done by a local (certified) bikeshop?!?!

Is this just on Yamaha or does Bosch and the others have the same issues?

Is there anyone that knows what setting you can reach by pressing the light button and power button at the same time?

I recently bought a closeout 2017 Sduro Trekking 4.0, which has the older, smaller Yamaha display, with less info and fewer adjustable settings. Is it possible to upgrade the Haibike to the newer, more sophisticated display shown here and used on 2018 models? And if so any suggestions on where/how to buy one? I've seen a video on opening the motor and it doesn't look too difficult and seems to be plug and play. thanks.
JIm

I recently bought a closeout 2017 Sduro Trekking 4.0, which has the older, smaller Yamaha display, with less info and fewer adjustable settings. Is it possible to upgrade the Haibike to the newer, more sophisticated display shown here and used on 2018 models? And if so any suggestions on where/how to buy one? I've seen a video on opening the motor and it doesn't look too difficult and seems to be plug and play. thanks.
JIm
Correct me if I'm wrong, you're asking if the entry level LED display of the sduro w/PW drive can be swapped out for the LCD display for the PW drive?

I've ridden friends bikes with both displays and the LCD is nice, and removable, but one friend loves the simplicity of the LED.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you're asking if the entry level LED display of the sduro w/PW drive can be swapped out for the LCD display for the PW drive?

I've ridden friends bikes with both displays and the LCD is nice, and removable, but one friend loves the simplicity of the LED.

Yes, J.R., that was my question -- if you can upgrade from he entry level LED to the LCD and how to go about that. I also see the 2019 Yamaha displays that I think JayVee referred to that are shown on the Yamaha USA homepage, and they look terrific but don't seem backward compatible to the PW series motors. So for now, I'm curious about that simpler upgrade to LCD. It seems you need to buy both the screen and the pad that adjusts settings, and they are each expensive. may be prohibitive. thanks for input.

I just got a quote from the US dealer where I bought the bike: he says retail for the two parts (the LCD display and the mount/controller/cable) is $300 total but he can ship it to me for $210. An expensive upgrade!! Will need to ponder that one.... thx for input.

Back