Turbo Vado Stuck Mastermind Battery Display

Duce

Region
USA
I am really hoping someone has seen this before, but I am really stumped. My Mastermind display will only show the battery charge. The F2 button cycles through my enviolo internal gear hub pace setting properly, the radar works with the little circles going up the left side, the settings work fine, Pressing F1 and holding it will turn off the lights, pressing the Plus and Minus buttons change the support modes properly, but while biking, I only see that one battery screen. Things I have tried:
  • Powering on and off
  • Removing the battery
  • Deleting the Bike from my app and then adding it back
  • Pressing the F1 button many times with no change other than the haptic and the beep
  • Deleting the Mission Control App and reinstalling it
  • Adding and removing new screens
  • Resetting my screens in the Tune section
  • Verifying NONE of my screens only show the battery meter
Other notes: When I first got the app, all of the screens were empty. I created a few screens and it worked fine. Then when I started the app today, my 2 screens were gone and replaced with the 5 default screens. But, I cannot get any of the default screens to appear. When I deleted the app and reinstalled it, the screens were gone again. I created 1 screen, and when I restarted the app, all of the default screens came back.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Battery Display.jpg
    Battery Display.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 146
Press and hold both + and - buttons for 20 seconds. Then reconnect Mission Control.

Thank you for your suggestion, but that did not work either. I also found out that the entire screens page in Tune is not working. If I change the brightness, there is no effect either. 1% or 100% no effect. Other changes are made just fine, it's only the display that seems locked up.

Thank you for your suggestion, but that did not work either. I also found out that the entire screens page in Tune is not working. If I change the brightness, there is no effect either. 1% or 100% no effect. Other changes are made just fine, it's only the display that seems locked up.
Any chance to see the LBS?
There was a Forum thread about the same behaviour but I do not know how to find it.

Just adding this resolution to this thread too in case someone needs it.

Eureka! I found a way to clear this issue up at home. Basically, you have to do a Factory Reset. @Stefan Mikes recommended that I hold down the + and - buttons for 20 seconds. That is how you restart the MCU. BUT, if you Hold down the + and - for 45 seconds, past the restart (don't let go), you will get a message stating that you are doing a factory reset, and winner, winner, chicken dinner the bike was back to brand new condition. A couple of notes in this process:

After the factory reset, Mission Control does not know you did a factory reset on the bike. So, you have to delete (not deregister) the bike in Mission Control. But, if you try to add it again, it will simply fail. This is because your phone's bluetooth settings thinks it has already paired with the bike. But the bike is like "I don't know you! Stranger Danger!" and drops your connection. So, you have to go into your phone's bluetooth settings, find the bike, it is the serial number, and "Forget the Device" Then you can add the bike back in the app as before. Then Voila, you have a brand new shiny factory fresh bike with no electronic baggage. Phew, this was really weighing on me. At least, there is a way of doing this. Sucks I had to factory reset, but the settings are easy to change, so better than going into the store again.

Anyway, If there was a problem, yo, I'll solve it! Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it.

Appologies, I couldn't resist the Vanilla Ice lyric.

Hi Duce and others on this thread. Thanks a lot for this information, saved my weekend on my new Turbo Levo Expert.
Had the same problem, only battery % on display and oddly Mission Control switched to Metric.

Only thing I different from your repair I noticed was after the factory reset (45 seconds holding + and -) which took care of Mastermind, I only had to forget the bike on Bluetooth and pair again to get me back onto the Mission Control app. Did not need to deregister the bike. Maybe just lucky.

Regardless, you sharing the info made my weekend so thanks a lot! Now I think I’ll crank-up some Vanilla Ice!! 🤣

Just adding this resolution to this thread too in case someone needs it.

Eureka! I found a way to clear this issue up at home. Basically, you have to do a Factory Reset. @Stefan Mikes recommended that I hold down the + and - buttons for 20 seconds. That is how you restart the MCU. BUT, if you Hold down the + and - for 45 seconds, past the restart (don't let go), you will get a message stating that you are doing a factory reset, and winner, winner, chicken dinner the bike was back to brand new condition. A couple of notes in this process:

After the factory reset, Mission Control does not know you did a factory reset on the bike. So, you have to delete (not deregister) the bike in Mission Control. But, if you try to add it again, it will simply fail. This is because your phone's bluetooth settings thinks it has already paired with the bike. But the bike is like "I don't know you! Stranger Danger!" and drops your connection. So, you have to go into your phone's bluetooth settings, find the bike, it is the serial number, and "Forget the Device" Then you can add the bike back in the app as before. Then Voila, you have a brand new shiny factory fresh bike with no electronic baggage. Phew, this was really weighing on me. At least, there is a way of doing this. Sucks I had to factory reset, but the settings are easy to change, so better than going into the store again.

Anyway, If there was a problem, yo, I'll solve it! Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it.

Appologies, I couldn't resist the Vanilla Ice lyric.
THANKS SO MUCH.

I had the exact same issue and managed to file a bug report and download data before reading this if anyone from Specialized is interested.

Found the simple solution:

Somehow “stealth mode” has been enabled in Mission Control. Go under customize screens and turn it off and your display should return to normal.

I learned this today during a ride. I did not touch my phone and my display changed to the exact same behavior described above; found this thread with the reset solution, but before I tried it, I happened to notice that stealth mode was on, even though I had not touched my phone. Turned it off, and my display immediately switched to the normal mode.

Hopefully checking this will save others a lot of hassle before having to reset.

Thx for these posts. My Creo mastermind tcu also went metric and stealth mode for no reason I can figure. Display was a dim battery bar.
It took two trys turning off stealth mode and then reconnecting but it worked!

Wow - My Tero 5.0 did the same thing last weekend - went into stealth mode and metric but the bike ran ok. Hadn't seen the above post so I did a hard reset and turned on starting mode and imperial. my screens were still there but my custom % settings for each mode were back to factory. Wish I had read this before the factory reset.
BUT - Now when I am riding, the mode will periodically reset - I normally ride in ECO mode but after hitting a bump it may change to off. It also has changed without hitting a bump. Checked for frayed wires - but all looks OK. Thanks for the hints above.
By the way - Tero 5.0 does not even have a stealth selection in mission control.

Last edited:
Back