Yamaha PW speed unlockers... SpeedBox2 vs EPlus vs BadAssBox 4 or 3.4

I use the Badassbox 3.3 and have found it to be trouble-free and easily reversible for service, warranty work, etc.

Last edited:
I use the Badassbox 3.4 and have found it to be trouble-free and easily reversible for service, warranty work, etc.

Hello FlatSix911-
Did you purchase from a vendor in the UK or AUS? I think the 3.4 version uses button cells, correct? If so, how often do you have to change out batteries?

Hello FlatSix911-
Did you purchase from a vendor in the UK or AUS? I think the 3.4 version uses button cells, correct? If so, how often do you have to change out batteries?

I purchased the Badassbox 3.3 version on eBay from a vendor in Germany.

The CR2 photo battery is used and has a mileage range of about 4000-5000 km.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

1566358760933.png

I purchased the Badassbox 3.3 version on eBay from a vendor in Germany.

The CR2 photo battery is used and has a mileage range of about 4000-5000 km.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

View attachment 36891

I was not familiar with this model with this type of photo cell. Would it be possible for you to post the link from the ebay seller? The linked product in your post does not appear to have USA shipping available. Thanks!

I was not familiar with this model with this type of photo cell. Would it be possible for you to post the link from the ebay seller?
The linked product in your post does not appear to have USA shipping available. Thanks!

Glad to help... I purchased the Shimano version on eBay, not the Yamaha.

Here is the link to direct link to the website: https://www.ebike-tuningparts.com/

Glad to help... I purchased the Shimano version on eBay, not the Yamaha.

Here is the link to direct link to the website: https://www.ebike-tuningparts.com/

Thanks for the links, however, it does not appear that this website gives the option for USA shipments (or the UK for that matter) . Perhaps only limited to countries in EU only?

bonjour

J'ai ce vélo https://www.giant-bicycles.com/fr/dirt-eplus-2-2016

J'ai essayé les speedbox charge 1 et 2 ... ça ne marche pas

Badass fonctionne mal ... j'ai des coupures
pouvez-vous confirmer que ce produit est la solution:
[URL unfurl = "true"] https://www.ebiketuning.com/greenped.html [/ URL]

Bonjour

J'ai un Giant Quick-E + et j'utilise le 'bikespeed-RS', ce qui est excellent. Vous pouvez envoyer un message à ces personnes à l'adresse https://www.bikespeed.de/Kontakt_en.html et ils vous répondront rapidement si cela fonctionne avec votre vélo ou non.

Étant donné que votre vélo est plus âgé, vous pourrez peut-être utiliser la 'bikespeed-key' originale.

Cordialement

Can anyone confirm that any of these dongles will work with Yamaha's own Ebike? (Cross Core, Connect, Urban Rush). These bikes have a PAS system with a cadence sensor ("Yamaha Triple Sensor") that I'm not sure is on other brands using their PW-SE motor including Giant and Haibike.

Marketing, or real? Does the Yamaha Ebike PW-SE have more than 4 wiring connnections with 3 dangling plug connectors perhaps, adding a cadence sensor from the crank? (Could be a 4th plug, or else and extra wire added to the lights or less likely the battery connection, See attached). If so seems this would be just 'not used' or disabled on a 2018-9 Giant or Haibike, unless they make a different PW-SE for their own bikes and X-display/software)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Istruzioni-USO-RIBELLE-per-YAMAHA-PW-X-e-PW-SE.pdf
    793 KB · Views: 1,062
Can anyone confirm that any of these dongles will work with Yamaha's own Ebike? (Cross Core, Connect, Urban Rush). These bikes have a PAS system with a cadence sensor ("Yamaha Triple Sensor") that I'm not sure is on other brands using their PW-SE motor including Giant and Haibike.

Marketing, or real? Does the Yamaha Ebike PW-SE have more than 4 wiring connnections with 3 dangling plug connectors perhaps, adding a cadence sensor from the crank? (Could be a 4th plug, or else and extra wire added to the lights or less likely the battery connection, See attached). If so seems this would be just 'not used' or disabled on a 2018-9 Giant or Haibike, unless they make a different PW-SE for their own bikes and X-display/software)

Thanks!
I have a Wabash and have been trying to install a SpeedBox2. Yes, there are 4 wiring connections going into/out of the PW-SE motor. The 4 connections are speed sensor, lights, display, and battery.

I purchased the SpeedBox2 off EBay. It was specifically listed for my 2019 PW-SE but it will not work with my bike. I suspect it will not work with any 2019 USA Yamaha. The bike’s wiring has 3 wires from the speed sensor to the motor while the dongle only has 2. When I install the dongle, the display turns on but does not display speed, distance, or anything else. Remove the dongle and everything’s fine. The EBay seller refuses to accept a return so I am stuck with a $185 SpeedBox that I can’t use. DO NOT purchase a SpeedBox off EBay! I wonder if this is why ebike-tuningparts does not ship to the USA.

Understand that the crank-magnet with speed sensor re-lo also works and is free. Just no speedo unless you do something separate.
The idea is that you reduce the speed sensor inputs or outputs to trick the controller. Works phenom. 👍
And no, you can't tell cuz it's not reprogramming anything - just changing the sensor input.

Understand that the crank-magnet with speed sensor re-lo also works and is free. Just no speedo unless you do something separate.
The idea is that you reduce the speed sensor inputs or outputs to trick the controller. Works phenom. 👍
And no, you can't tell cuz it's not reprogramming anything - just changing the sensor input.
The 2019 Yamahas no longer have the spoke and magnet system for the speed sensor. They went to a rear hub mounted system that’s totally enclosed. The spoke and magnet only registers once per wheel revolution. The hub unit registers almost instantaneously when the wheel starts to move. I suppose this presents a real challenge to designers of speed chips.

The 2019 Yamahas no longer have the spoke and magnet system for the speed sensor. They went to a rear hub mounted system that’s totally enclosed. The spoke and magnet only registers once per wheel revolution. The hub unit registers almost instantaneously when the wheel starts to move. I suppose this presents a real challenge to designers of speed chips.

I just bought one and rode a 2020 at the shop before I ordered the '19, and both had rear wheel speed sensors.
Explore+3 or 4.

I just bought one and rode a 2020 at the shop before I ordered the '19, and both had rear wheel speed sensors.
Explore+3 or 4.

That's Giant's take/tweak of the Yamaha propulsion system/motor. Yamaha have gone one step further methinks...

That's Giant's take/tweak of the Yamaha propulsion system/motor. Yamaha have gone one step further methinks...
That's correct. I should have clarified that the 2019 Yamaha BRAND ebikes have the hub mounted speed sensor. Other manufacturers use the Yamaha motor but have their own systems of sensing and displaying. Sorry for the confusion...

Yep, speed chips do not work with Yamaha's own bikes (Cross Core Connect Urban etc.) due to the unique speed sensor they have.

Two Questions:

1. Which of these devices (if any) would work on the Yamaha/Giant SyncDrive motor that is on the Giant LaFree E+1 ?

2. Are these devices Hard on the Systems that they Manipulate ? (Like Steroids take their toll over time in athletes......)

Craig 😎

Last edited:
Back